Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 AM

132 posts, read 444,981 times

Advertisements

I have read several postings where people say not to live in the southern burbs of Chicago. I know these are people's own opinions but would anyone share why some people may not want to live there. Areas may not be desirable at one point in time but may be developing and in the future may be the new up and coming place. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Some of the southern suburbs are pretty rough (and this I know from personal experience, I grew up down there) and I can see why people wouldn't want to live there (e.g. Robbins, Harvey, Riverdale, Chicago Heights, etc) but a lot people paint them all with that brush.

By 'rough' I mean that crime and gang-related violence is a huge problem. I had a friend who was jumped and mugged in Riverdale and I had a couple of unpleasant experiences of my own in Harvey back in the late 80's being young and stupid and going where I should not have gone (I moved away from the s. burbs in '91 and never looked back) and I had a relative whose car was stolen in Harvey too. They are simply put, not pleasant places.

Now there are nice southern suburbs (Homewood is lovely), but the bad ones are pretty bad. That is all.

Last edited by j33; 09-15-2007 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
There are some southern burbs that are very nice,for sure. Its always been more "desirable" to live north and west and I dont know when that started.I happen to think the nicest burbs are N/w,but I realize its only an opinion and many many people are very happy living south

Old 09-16-2007, 08:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
I really think people write off the southern 'burbs a little too fast. I don't know who the typical user of this forum is, but at times it feels like property values and quaint shopping districts are the overriding factors ("How much can you afford?") Not to say we don't all want to live in a stable neighborhood, with good schools, but I think what's great about Chicagoland is that we have so many unique suburbs with unique histories and resources.

I hope posters do think about where they want to live in terms of softer measures like lifestyle. I think by those standards a lot of south suburbs would jump out as great prospects. Factors like less traffic and more affordable homes make for a less hectic life.

If you're just looking to maximize your investment and make sure Johnny is in an A+ district, you might miss out on the opportunity to be part of an actual community, where you can take the time to made your town better because you don't have to kill yourself working to pay for your jumbo mortgage.

Just my opinion, of course.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 AM

I dont think I have read on here that anyone "kills themself" trying to pay a jumbo mortgage.thats poor planning on the home buyers part,or another victim of job problams.Nothing to do with North or South.I am sure many a homeowner from a south suburb has gotten in over their head too.I dont think its a necessary fact to either live south or else overpay and have traffic . Many prefer the feel,and yes charm surrounding their home/community and they find it N/W.I also feel many of us enjoy living in a "actual community" that is also found N/W.Thats a big draw I see from reading of peoples home desires.The southern suburbs do not have a draw for many readers here,but its an area well loved by others.Thats just fine,theres a place for everyone around the state

Old 09-16-2007, 12:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I think it's mostly because the south burbs are historically more black, and less affluent. This is mostly true for the closer in suburbs north of Interstate 80. The area has been somewhat economically depressed for awhile now. The Chicago area is expanding rapidly though, and the suburbs south of interstate 80 are doing very well. I know the county with many of the south burbs, Will County, has grown from around 350,000 people in 1990 to almost 700,000 today.

You can find cheaper housing that's a little closer to the city than many areas up north and west. I certainly wouldn't overlook the area.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Well here is what the more affluent south burbs look like. I don't think they look too terrible. This was shot in Tinley Park.
YouTube - Storm in Chicago Suburb Caught on Camera $400K-$700K homes = bad area? Sorry about the poor video quality, it was the only video I could find of the bad areas known as the south side. Here is another video from Mokena which is a little cheaper than Orland and Tinley Park.
YouTube - 8/23/07 Tornado Warning/Severe Weather

Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 AM

I am sure those are the 'nice burbs' spoken of here.My husband is from Tinley

Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I am sure many a homeowner from a south suburb has gotten in over their head too.I dont think its a necessary fact to either live south or else overpay and have traffic . Many prefer the feel,and yes charm surrounding their home/community and they find it N/W.
I guess I'm a bit touchy on this issue. I see so many people running away from community problems instead of trying to fix them, thinking the next town up the ladder is going to be perfect, and then they run right into a wall of debt they can't manage. Everybody loses.

My point is...and getting back to the OP... if readers are generally discouraged from even looking into the south suburbs, what chance do they have to actually know they "prefer" the NW over the SW? Searchers have a lot to sift through and a few overgeneralized comments can steer them off a huge area.

I will say I've driven all over and I stand by my statement that traffic overall is lighter South (excluding Orland Park) than anywhere else I've been in Lake, DuPage or McHenry Co.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM

I am glad you have found "home" for you. I give an honest opinion when asked and certainly dont think I have that much power to sway anyone-except the hubby but thats what we do here,opinions. I agree,different people find different areas/towns that are home for them,and a potential homebuyer should look at all the options.But,we all have our preferences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs