Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times

Advertisements

The "Bucktown" & "Wicker Park" neighborhoods converge right around the major intersection of Damen Ave, Milwaukee Ave & North Ave in the near northwest side of the city. Bucktown is generally north of this intersection, and Wicker Park is generally south of this intersection. Many years ago this might've been considered a dangerous area, and even recently you might've exercised caution due to its proximity the gang-infested Humboldt Park, but boy has this area gentrified like a mofo in recent years. The indie "hipsters" that love this area are slowly being pushed out by some of the Lincoln Park-type yuppies that are looking to get more housing for their money. Pretty decent amount of nightlife in the area too (depends on your scene), but from what I've heard there are a couple nice venues with house music in the area such as the renovated, but small Lava Lounge on Milwaukee Ave, and also Ohm (pretty large, 11,000 sq feet) which I think is on North Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Perhaps, my most important point is to reiterate the fact that it only takes one random incident to die. The criminal elements in Chicago know where the visitors are located and how to 'fleece' them.
I once worked with a very nice (and young) African - American. His name was Darren and I think(?) he said that he lived in the Wicker Park area. Darren once told me that when 'one' meets many African - American young fellows on the street, they just want 'you' to buy them a meal. I would not mind doing that providing such a Chicago fellow did not want to murder me after his dinner.
Incidentally, a similar situation happened in the Brown's Chicken restaurant murders a number of years ago. I believe it happened in Palatine, Illinois? Those convicted were not African - American but I believe they wer Hispanic?
All of the above thread responses are from 'seasoned' people familiar with Chicago. Ask yourself the question, that if you were just moving to the Chicago area, would you want to blunder around basically out of ignorance - - not knowing which area of Chicago is bad and which is good?
Such a scenario is similar to what new migrants to Chicago could face. From my viewpoint, that answer should be obvious to someone not familiar with the city of Chicago.
As a question for you seasoned veterans, where is Chicago's 'Buck Town' located and what is significant of its name? Honestly, I have no idea where it is located. Is this the neighborhood that 'Via Chicago' was talking about? 'Dunno'
In summary, what is the old adage? Something like, "Why invite trouble in the first place?"
From my lifetime experiences, I have these viewpoints about Chicago - City. I have a 'right' to my view points just like everyone else. I also suggest to our readers that before buying a home in a particular locale, visit the place in person rather than depending on the different viewpoints of everyone writing their opinions on this web site. After all, living there is 'your choice' and not mine since I have already chosen a very safe neighborhood (Wheaton, IL) many years ago.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
What the hell? I really don't know what to say about the drivel that's posted here. I just don't.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:17 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Drover, I, too, am rendered speechless.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:03 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,493 times
Default Hello Reppin

Thank you for answering my questions about Buck Town and Wicker Park. Since I am not a computer expert, I don't know how to post a quote. However, this is my question. You mentioned about two different classes of people wanting the same turf. One I believe was the yuppies and the other Indiana dudes. So because of this, does it cause gang wars between the two factions? Also, is there a presence of police officers in these neighborhoods? Now, I am asking about evening hours and not during day time. If there are police officers present, then, yes, they are going to control all of the potential violence. I don't expect a dude will pull out his illegal hand gun to do violence in front of any police officer.
The last time I visited downtown Chicago, there were city cops all of the place. One goes out to O'Hare and there are Chicago cops everywhere. You go to Midway and there are cops inside the airport and along Cicero.
Come out to Wheaton and see what we have in contrast. IF 'you' start violence out there, you will quickly meet our cops. However, they are not visible everywhere like in the city of Chicago cops.
We are approaching the point of arguing with Drover and Mannigault...and that is not my forte. I am an author and authors usually talk 'one-way' and don't argue with their consituents. So let the potential Chicago area migrants read ALL of our threads - - visit the places mentioned - - and then let them decide for themselves. That's my bottom line whether you agree or not.

CIAU

Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
What on earth?? I moved to Chicago from Iowa about 7 years ago and I think it's gotten much better even since I've been here. I haven't seen or been witness to any crime at all, and of all my friends, I can't think of any time any of them have had to report anything to the police.

I know from the 70's through mid 90's the city was suffering, but it's nowhere NEAR that place now. You should really revisit your city, you'll be quite surprised.

Almost all of the crime is segregated to the south and west sides, sadly for the innocent people in those communities.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions about Buck Town and Wicker Park. Since I am not a computer expert, I don't know how to post a quote. However, this is my question. You mentioned about two different classes of people wanting the same turf. One I believe was the yuppies and the other Indiana dudes. So because of this, does it cause gang wars between the two factions?
oh boy. i dont know whether to laugh or cry.

it just scares me that this is a place people come for advice when moving here, and its obvious you dont have the foggiest what you're talking about.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:29 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Despite the fact that others on this thread are either in shock over some of your comments or find your lack of knowledge (about the actual city of Chicago and its current demographic situation) to be a bit humorous, I will attempt to answer your question regarding the "two different classes of people wanting the same turf". Let me emphasize the point that you most likely will not run into these types of folks back home in far west suburban Wheaton. Yuppies are your young urban professionals (mid-20's to mid-30's typically) who tend to make a decent income, are upwardly mobile, like to consume luxury items quite visibly (ie. luxury cars, luxury condominiums, etc.), probably devote a lot of time & energy to their careers, and often times do enjoy the chic urban city life, along with its nightlife and boutique shopping options, etc. The biggest difference between "yuppies" in the city, and "yuppies" out in Wheaton is that out in Wheaton these folks are no longer yuppies, because chances are that the money-makers in Wheaton are probably in their 40's or 50's by now. You will find some of the "yuppie" types that I described above in certain suburbs such as the inner-ring suburbs of Evanston or Oak Park, or economically significant suburban areas such as Schaumburg or Naperville. However, neighborhoods such as Chicago's Lincoln Park probably contains more yuppies than all of those suburbs combined.

Indie folk (aka "hipsters") typically enjoy "alternative" culture, and this can entail a lot of things. Some of these people are really into the tattoo culture, some of them will don "trucker" hats, perhaps rock some smelly clothing and sometimes look a little unkempt (often times not clean shaven lol), and probably were considered to be either nerdy, into the alternative scene, perhaps goths in H.S., who knows, it's a very diverse group. Generally they don't make nearly as much money as the yuppie crowd, but they definitely thrive in big cities such as Chicago because the arts & music scenes are so alive in out here (in Chicago & other large cities). On top of that, there are plenty of coffee shops where these people can find jobs in the meanwhile to make enough cash to get by, pay the rent, and perhaps hit up some concerts every once in a while, perhaps work on their craft (if they're an artist for example).

Urban Dictionary's definition of a "yuppie": Urban Dictionary: yuppie

Urban Dictionary's definition of a "hipster":
Urban Dictionary: hipster

And finally HOWELL_STREET, as much animosity exists between these groups, a gang war will likely never occur between these groups for a couple basic reasons. First off, the vast majority of folks in both groups are Caucasian (not trying to be racist here, but it's the truth) and typically are not "gang members" lol. In Chicago, the majority of gang members tend to be minorities, and the significant gang presence that actually looms a few miles west of Bucktown / Wicker Park is not at all a result of any yuppies or hipsters, but rather the historic Puerto Rican population in the "Humboldt Park" neighborhood. The Latin King gang presence has always been strong in Humboldt Park. As real estate marketers attempt to market Humboldt Park areas as West Bucktown, there might be some random Latin King gangsters that may get peeved and try to terrorize any white folk (whether yuppie, hipster, or WHATEVER) that try to "take over" their neighborhood. This is the closest thing to a "gang war" that may ever occur nearby that area. And even then it wouldn't be gang vs. gang, but rather, random gang vs. random civilian encounters.

And on a more humorous note, just to point out the way that "hipsters" feel about "yuppies", I have posted a link to a picture from Ohm nightclub in Wicker Park. This girl, most likely a self-proclaimed hipster, has on a shirt that says "Die Yuppie Scum" lol.

http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/...6/IMG_0025.jpg

This picture was taken from this set of pictures:

OHM Chicago Photos

Quote:
Thank you for answering my questions about Buck Town and Wicker Park. Since I am not a computer expert, I don't know how to post a quote. However, this is my question. You mentioned about two different classes of people wanting the same turf. One I believe was the yuppies and the other Indiana dudes. So because of this, does it cause gang wars between the two factions? Also, is there a presence of police officers in these neighborhoods? Now, I am asking about evening hours and not during day time. If there are police officers present, then, yes, they are going to control all of the potential violence. I don't expect a dude will pull out his illegal hand gun to do violence in front of any police officer.
The last time I visited downtown Chicago, there were city cops all of the place. One goes out to O'Hare and there are Chicago cops everywhere. You go to Midway and there are cops inside the airport and along Cicero.
Come out to Wheaton and see what we have in contrast. IF 'you' start violence out there, you will quickly meet our cops. However, they are not visible everywhere like in the city of Chicago cops.
We are approaching the point of arguing with Drover and Mannigault...and that is not my forte. I am an author and authors usually talk 'one-way' and don't argue with their consituents. So let the potential Chicago area migrants read ALL of our threads - - visit the places mentioned - - and then let them decide for themselves. That's my bottom line whether you agree or not.

CIAU

Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
The thought of a 'gang war' between indie-rockers and yuppies made me almost spew coffee onto my computer monitor in laughter.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
The thought of a 'gang war' between indie-rockers and yuppies made me almost spew coffee onto my computer monitor in laughter.
it would make a good SNL skit

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,309 times
Wow, go on vacation for a week....good stuff

I'm thinking this could be a modern "west side story"--indie rocker gang member finds love with a girl in the rival yuppie gang. It would be better than "Cats"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs