Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the Chicago area to work in Huntley, IL. I'm a single straight 30 year old guy. Having interesting things to do on the weekends would be important to me. What would be some viable places to live? Keep in mind I do own a vehicle. Is Huntley even an option? Crystal Lake area? I grew up in Atlanta suburbs so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of suburban living.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,441,267 times
Huntley is what I would describe as an exurb. Huntley is borderline rural. I would think long and hard about living somewhere like that as a single person.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,032,319 times
I would focus my search along 90, as far east as Arlington Hts. If you lived in Arlington Hts, you'd be going against traffic during rush hour. Schaumburg would also be a possibility.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM

35 posts, read 109,966 times
Maybe check out West Dundee. Not really a whole lot to do there, but the area near their small downtown is pretty nice, offers a decent commute to Huntley and isn't too far from 90 so you can easily head east for more activity on weekends.

It all depends on how long of a commute you would consider tolerable. If you don't mind driving a bit then downtown Arlington Heights is probably a better choice for singles.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,428,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkornus View Post
I grew up in Atlanta suburbs so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of suburban living.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck with the long grey winters up there. Find a babe asap or you'll hate the burbs here. I would just get a hotel room downtown in the city on the weekends to go out without the drive home. Forget about Schamburg or Arlington H., just dead IMO for a young guy like you.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,032,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Good luck with the long grey winters up there. Find a babe asap or you'll hate the burbs here. I would just get a hotel room downtown in the city on the weekends to go out without the drive home. Forget about Schamburg or Arlington H., just dead IMO for a young guy like you.
OP hasn't defined "interesting things to do" - doesn't sound like partying is all he's interested in.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,283,323 times
I think I would start in downtown Arlington Heights. I liked that area a lot when we were househunting. It is fairly lively and has great character. I also would pick a place in walking distance to nightlife, but that is me. That is close to the metra line to head to Chicago, too, although the last train back to AH, I think, is about 12:30AM...

Also, try to find a way to meet people quick, whether that is sports, clubs, meetups, bars, or something social.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM

3,339 posts, read 6,039,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkornus View Post
I may be moving to the Chicago area to work in Huntley, IL. I'm a single straight 30 year old guy. Having interesting things to do on the weekends would be important to me. What would be some viable places to live? Keep in mind I do own a vehicle. Is Huntley even an option? Crystal Lake area? I grew up in Atlanta suburbs so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of suburban living.

Thanks in advance.
If you think you can stand the commute from Arlington Heights, I also think it would be a good option. I'm the same age as you, for whatever that may be worth. I would definitely consider Arlington Heights for myself. I think the benefit of AH is that it has a downtown area and has enough restaurants, but it is also on the Metra line and not a horrible distance from Chicago. So if you live there, you could still get to the city on the weekends if you wanted to. The other thing I love about AH is the race track, which I go to several times a year with friends (something we started doing about 5 years ago, and we were never the only people our age there).

I also think Schaumburg would be a decent choice. There are tons of dining and shopping areas there.

I wouldn't let people scare you that you can't meet people in the suburbs. That's simply not true. I know a lot of people who live in the suburbs because that's where their jobs are and they all have good social lives. There are sites like meetup.org that will help you meet people with shared interests.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM

3,972 posts, read 6,941,937 times
St. Charles has a good bar scene on the weekends, I would know, I grew up there. Its also only about a 45 minute drive to Huntley which isn't TOO bad. Maybe you can find a nice apartment or house downtown St. Charles to move into. Then you dont have to drive on weekends and you can have something fun to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs