Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM

382 posts, read 825,488 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Naperville. We have 2 children, 5 and 3. My husband works downtown Chicago and I work by O'Hare. We'd really like to live in an area with the following:

1)Good schools
2)Walkable, vibrant downtown
3)Something in the downtown core in our budget of 600k
4)Decent commute times for my husband and I

I really like Naperville, but there is not much in or near the downtown in our budget, so I've been looking at Downers Grove, Hinsdale and LaGrange. I really like the fact that there are so many beautiful vicotorian homes in LaGrange's historic district that are actually in our budget (or at least close). I know LT has a good reputation as well. Do people in LaGrange actually know and talk to their neighbors? Is there a "community feel" with kids playing in their yards, walking to school, community events, etc? These are all important factors to me. Also, someone told me LaGrange is actually going up in value because of the "new urbanism movement" and young professionals now preferring the inner-ring suburbs with walkable downtowns. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Sounds like LaGrange might be the perfect fit for you. There are quite a few professionals, but they are mainly in the newer condo units along the train tracks. Mostly though, the town is filled with families with young kids. It's very walkable and the downtown has decent options for shopping/eating. The historic district is my favorite area as well. I love the old victorians.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM

44 posts, read 139,779 times
LaGrange is what LaGrange is - it has been a nice, family oriented community for all the years I have lived in Chicago. I do not think it has gotten better or worse and have no idea what you mean by professional urbanism movement. Prices have gone down practically everywhere in the city since the bubble burst and LaGrange is certainly not immune to this but all things considered is more stable than many areas due to the good schools, proximity to the city, etc.

Who told you LaGrange property values were on the rise?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 295,497 times
I think La Grange is a great fit for you. The lot sizes aren't huge, so everything is in walking distance. Your kids are a great age too as you will meet a lot of people through the local elementary school. While all home values are down from the peak, I agree that the great location certainly makes it a better choice than far-out suburbs.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:06 PM

166 posts, read 357,911 times
"professional urbanism movement"

Probably referring to the Echo Boom generation. Kids of the baby boomers who eschew large mcmanions built in planned subdivisions where you are car dependent even if all you want to do is buy a toothbrush.

The echo boom generation doesn't want a long commute (who does??) wants to be able to walk to run errands and doesn't want to spend weekends maintaining a yard. They want to step out of the house and see people walking on the street.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post

Probably referring to the Echo Boom generation. Kids of the baby boomers who eschew large mcmanions built in planned subdivisions where you are car dependent even if all you want to do is buy a toothbrush.

The echo boom generation doesn't want a long commute (who does??) wants to be able to walk to run errands and doesn't want to spend weekends maintaining a yard. They want to step out of the house and see people walking on the street.
All seems extremely sensible.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM

382 posts, read 825,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post

Yes, that is exactly what we want. The commute for me to O'Hare is a bit of an issue, though. We originally thought we'd live in Evanston or Wilmette but I think that would be too far of a commute. Seems like there is nothing around 600k that's decent in Hinsdale, and I'm not as fond of the suburbs further East than LaGrange. I was also thinking Park Ridge, but airport noise (present and future) could be a concern. Therefore, LaGrange seems like one of the few areas that could work.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
Yes, that is exactly what we want. The commute for me to O'Hare is a bit of an issue, though. We originally thought we'd live in Evanston or Wilmette but I think that would be too far of a commute. Seems like there is nothing around 600k that's decent in Hinsdale, and I'm not as fond of the suburbs further East than LaGrange. I was also thinking Park Ridge, but airport noise (present and future) could be a concern. Therefore, LaGrange seems like one of the few areas that could work.
Don't rule out Western Springs either. Slightly better schools than LaGrange (at the elementary and middle school level), but not as vibrant of a downtown area. The commute to O'Hare from WS or LG should be an easy one straight up 294. It's about 15-20 minutes during non-rush hour traffic, but you may want to try it during rush hour if you're concerned.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM

52 posts, read 138,736 times
Elmhurst might be an option for you too!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 17,614 times
Default Maybe Consider La Grange Park

I live in La Grange Park, which is the next suburb north of La Grange. When it comes to home prices, I believe it was Forbes that put out a list last year of the top 25 towns in the U.S. that had the most stable housing prices and La Grange Park was on the list. You might find that list with a little internet surfing for confirmation or call the La Grange Park village hall, as they circulated info on that. I doubt prices are actually going up in La Grange; it's contrary to the overall market. That might be hype generated by a realtor.

It is a pretty friendly town, especially if you have kids. Neighbors like to get out of their house here and talk to each other. The downtown La Grange are is very nice. From my house, I can make it to O'Hare in 25 minutes at rush hour, if I take La Grange Road all the way. I do this to avoid the unpredictabilities of commuting on the Tri-State. Out here, I'm about an equal distance to both Midway and O'Hare.

You might not get as much for your money in the way of housing here as in Naperville. My next door neighbors are from there and they moved into a significantly smaller home; the lots are city lot size here, but they do like it better. If commuting via Metra Burlington Northern downtown, the express commute is about 20 minutes and they run about every 20 minutes at rush hour. The waiting list for commuter parking permits at the train stations can be from 6 months to a couple of years out here for most of the lots; there's one lot on Ogden about a block east of La Grange Road where permits are often readily available.

La Grange, La Grange Park and Western Springs are all pretty similar and very nice areas. I've been here for 20+ years and I would be happy to stay here forever.

Last edited by MaxDaddy; 03-15-2012 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: forgot to say something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs