Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM

11 posts, read 20,956 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we will maybe move to Woodstock, exact Bull Valley. How are the school there? We have had a look at the area and found it nice. Can somebody tell me something about Woodstock and Bull Valley?

many greetings Silke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,535,351 times
WELL...

I could be nice and say "do a lot of research" but honestly, even a little bit of research would show that resale is not good. The short answer is that over building has results in too many home for available demand. A longer answer probably would look at the overall economy contraction that is pretty pronounced in the NW corridor -- retreat of Motorola, long commute to Chicago and other employment centers, high costs of maintaining infrastructure further into the fringes of suburbia...

I think there is another phenomna worth pointed out too -- high end subdivisions thrived in the whole region since probably the Korean War era as the various generations of Americans continued to push outward for the experience of "a whole new town". Places like Schaumburg, Vernon Hills, Oak Brook, Olympia Fields, Barrington and the west edge of Naperville are examples of this along with parts of Barrington and Bull Valley. Sometime around the Clinton adminstation there was a pretty major shift -- instead of folks looking for that "whole new town" experience large numbers of home buyers decided it ade sense to look to closer towns and update an existng home OR tear down and build new. This is is most pronounced in towns along the BNSF from about LaGrange through Naperville as well as long the UP NW from Park Ridge through Barrrington, the other towns of DuPage & NW Cook Co and along the North Shore. Like a game of "musical chairs" I worry that too many folks around Bull Valley got there not knowing that for many "the tune had stopped". Now I have seen lots of periods where a town falls off for a while and then things change and bounces back better than ever, so I am far from writing off Bull Valley for good, but I do think that as a the timeline fills in on what the next big thing will be a lot of people will be very frustrated trying to recoup their investment in an area that is out of step with the current mainstream demand...

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,352,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Hello,
we will maybe move to Woodstock, exact Bull Valley. How are the school there? We have had a look at the area and found it nice. Can somebody tell me something about Woodstock and Bull Valley?

many greetings Silke

What the prior poster misses is that there is significant economic activity in McHenry Co. and the other collar counties INDEPENDENT from a commute to the Loop. While I know of several people who do commute to Chicago from Bull Valley, most of the people are business owners and professionals who work in Lake or McHenry Co.

Unlike a tear down in LaGrange or Naperville, you have the opportunity to buy a house with some land and some privacy from your neighbors.

Personally, I would live in the portion of Bull Valley that is in the Crystal Lake school district. In general, the Crystal Lake school district is considered to be the better district.

As for Woodstock, I have lived here for 10+ years and still regret not buying in Crystal Lake. The town markets itself well with the histprical square but I find myself heading out of town for shopping as the options here are pretty limited.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Many thanks for the answers. It is to be found for us a little bit difficultly an area in we want to live. We live in Germany and will move to Illinois. We would like to live with pleasure rurally, however, good schools also need. Because we come with a L-visa, it is not sure how long we remain.
These could be some years, maybe also for good.
My husband will move first alone. Then we will follow after some months.
Now I try out got shut in which area my husband after a house should look.
Our son should go to Wauconda to the Waters edge Waldorfschool.Or can somebody recommend me a good Middle School? For our daughter we need a college.
Maybe somebody has an idea?

many greetings

Silke

Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,288,998 times
Where is work? wo ist die arbeit?
Will your daughter stay at home while attending college? Bleibt deine tochter zu hause durch die Universitat jahre?
Where is Waldorf School located? Wo ist die Waldorf Schule?
How good is your son's English? Wie gut ist deine sohn's English?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,535,351 times
Renting may be a good value. Purchase would be a riskier proposition. The drive to work (which from other threads appears to be in / around Elgin) is probably tolerable (plan on about 30-40 minutes).

Bull Valley is a "luxury golf community" where I would NOT expect neighbors to the be receptive to any kind of livestock. I similarly would not expect to find families in such an area to be particularly aware of the Steiner schools philosophy / Waldorf education....

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Hello,
The Rudolf Steiner school is in Wauconda, my husband will have his office in Elgin. Indeed, he will work most time in completely America. It doesn't disturb him a long journey time to have.
Our son has since the first class in English and now is in the sixth class. However, he still takes part in English courses and will move to us still learn a lot. We have visited the Waters Edge Waldorfschool and has belonged only 10-12 children there in a class are.
With our daughter it is more difficult a little bit. The German school system is quite different than the American one. I read just by different Internet sites around the amerikansiche school system a little bit better to understand. Actually, she should visit the college as with the lessons at home is I haven't understood yet.
I must learn even better in English, I translate my texts with an On-line translator.
We still have 2 dogs, I have read most renters no animals want.

Silke

Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Default @ cubssoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Where is work? wo ist die arbeit?
Will your daughter stay at home while attending college? Bleibt deine tochter zu hause durch die Universitat jahre?
Where is Waldorf School located? Wo ist die Waldorf Schule?
How good is your son's English? Wie gut ist deine sohn's English?
Woher kannst du Deutsch? Where from are you able to do German?

Best regards

Silke

Old 02-07-2012, 07:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,288,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Woher kannst du Deutsch? Where from are you able to do German?

Best regards

Silke
Meine Eltern sind von Deutschland. Ich habe Deutsch gelernt im Donauschwaben wochenend Schule am Samstags.

Outside of Wauconda there are still rural areas. I pass an Alpaca farm on my weekend bike rides in that area. Finding a good real estate agent would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs