Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,973 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Chicago, with a commute to Hyde Park campus on the cards. We have a toddler in preschool and a younger child in day care, and are looking for some location that would afford us a good schooling district.

We could use some advice on the following:

1. What are the Western suburbs (maybe in order of preference?) with respect to schooling that offer a commute of about 30 minutes or so to Hyde Park?
2. Oak Park has been suggested as ideal, but a four bedroom house seems beyond $400-450K budget and there is some mixed reviews of safety and such.
3. Hinsdale and Lombard have so far been recommended too, but we could use some advice on quality of public schools in those areas and affordability of a house with the above budget.
4. Are there other suburbs we could consider and are missing that would offer good amenities for a young family with kids?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I think most towns have some safetly and crime issues; the question is to what degree and where is it. I do not believe with a $20K tax bill you will live in a dangerous neighborhood. Oak Park offers a tremendous amount of services and perks to children and families. It is 8 miles from the loop and it is still a desirable address.

Park Ridge is not a western 'burb and it is farther out, It too is beautiful community with services.

There isn't much wrong with most K-8 schools in Illinois. It seems like all high schools in America have issues. I personally think a parent who is deeply involved with their child and school from K though HS will have a good student even if he/she is raised in a tar paper shack next to railroad tracks with the loving parents. Private schools and home school is always an option.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale. Oak Park if you want a more urban experience. $400-500 will get you a nice house in La Grange/Western Springs, not sure about the other towns - I'm a north sider.

30 minutes is an optimistic estimate of travel time to Hyde Park for any of these.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
30 minutes is an optimistic estimate of travel time to Hyde Park for any of these.[/quote]

I agree with this. Particularly if you are planning on driving during rush hour. Easily up to an hour or more.

I know several that live in Oak Park and commute to U of C. Most work unconventional hours, so they drive outside of rush hour. Or they take the trains there - which still takes time - or work from home some days.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
I don't think 30 minutes driving will get you to the western city limits.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think most towns have some safetly and crime issues; the question is to what degree and where is it. I do not believe with a $20K tax bill you will live in a dangerous neighborhood. Oak Park offers a tremendous amount of services and perks to children and families. It is 8 miles from the loop and it is still a desirable address.

Park Ridge is not a western 'burb and it is farther out, It too is beautiful community with services.

There isn't much wrong with most K-8 schools in Illinois. It seems like all high schools in America have issues. I personally think a parent who is deeply involved with their child and school from K though HS will have a good student even if he/she is raised in a tar paper shack next to railroad tracks with the loving parents. Private schools and home school is always an option.
Yes, most HS have issues. Either rotten test scores and high dropout rates or a fiercely competitive academic environment as all students are trying to get into the best colleges.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Contrary to some of the other posts I will suggest that 30 minutes is not an unreasonable commute time during off-peak time. The relative ease of using I-55 (the Stevenson Expressway) to get to / from Hyde Park via Lakeshore Drive to towns like LaGrange,Western Springs, Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills and Burr Ridge -- Burr Ridge, IL to University of Chicago - Google Maps

I further disagree that there is any universal problems with high schools nor are "most elementaty schools good". There are tremendous number of very poorly performing schools in many areas. Even formerly well respected public schools near Hyde Park have seem declines in performance, this is probably due to the dilution of talent caused by expansion of some of the selective admissions schools within Chicago and the subsequent flocking to private schools like UofC Lab School.

For those who prefer public schools I would recommend only choosing from schools that make the Illinois Honor Roll for Academic Excellence, although Illinois' mandated tests are weak this list at least will help you avoid the worst performing schools: Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2010 List

Park Ridge is a bit further, but more importantly because you'd need to traverse the most congested parts of the Kennedy and the Dan Ryan even off peak I would not expect to make better than 45 minutes or so -- Park Ridge, IL to University of Chicago - Google Maps

For house of around $500K I would expect a tax bill in Hinsdale of about $10k -- 207 N Elm St, Hinsdale, IL 60521 | MLS# 07738763

Taxes are similar in La Grange: 115 N Peck Ave, LA GRANGE, IL 60525 | MLS# 07788181

Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I have a friend who works at the U of C and commutes every day from Wheaton to the train station in chicago. There is a bus that goes directly to U of C from there.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,973 times
Thanks everyone for the useful comments!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM

12 posts, read 56,127 times
I spent the past year commuting from Oak Park to the U of C Hospital. Leaving around 7-7:30am it took about 35 minutes to get there. Coming home between 5-6 usually took a solid hour, mostly because of congestion on the Ryan (and sometimes, the Eisenhower). It's not a terrible commute and if you were mostly traveling outside of rush hour, 30 minutes would be possible depending on where exactly you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs