Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM

37 posts, read 130,934 times

Advertisements

What are some grocery stores in the suburbs. I particular the Arlington Heights area. I am use to chains like Harris Teeter and Wegmans. Where is the best place for produce ( no Whole Foods). Are there any farmer's market open year round.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Jewel and Dominicks are the main grocers in the Chicago area. Whole Foods is around as well as Aldi and Trader Joes. In the city, there are lots of independent grocers that have the best quality produce and at the best prices.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
There has been an explosion of independent groceries in the suburbs as well. Places like Ca_P_U_T_O_s, Sunset and the The Fresh Market blow away the prices and selection of the chains managed by MBAs and the scale of the suburban independents means they offer much more than old style produce stores. Most suburbs also have MUCH stricter health and sanitation requirements than Chicago so you don't have the scary stench that some of little mom & pop type shops reek of...

TFM - Our Stores: Committed to Our Customers

Sunset Foods Gourmet Grocery Stores | Highland Park, Lake Forest, Libertyville and Northbrook, Illinois

http://goo.gl/Rrw3p

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,764 times
Mariano's Fresh Market recently opened in Arlington Heights within the last year, it's supposed to be really good. There's also Eurofresh Market in Palatine. You won't find decent foods at good prices at places like Jewel or Dominick's.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM

37 posts, read 130,934 times
Thank you all for your help. The TFM grocer looks great.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
In AH, you also have independent, produce oriented grocers like Valli Produce. Garden Fresh is a good alternate to Dominick's and Jewel's, $ is cheaper and they have much broader selection of ethnic food. In downtown AH, you can walk to Jewel and depending on where you live walk to Mariano's.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:36 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanity01 View Post
What are some grocery stores in the suburbs. I particular the Arlington Heights area. I am use to chains like Harris Teeter and Wegmans. Where is the best place for produce ( no Whole Foods). Are there any farmer's market open year round.
In the Chicagoland market, I would NEVER shop at the Fresh Market or Whole Foods. The local independents blow them away in terms of quality at a small fraction of the cost.

Mariano's has a great selection and is a recent addition to the Chicago Market.

Other local independents:

Joe Cap-uto's Fresh Market - six locations
Angelo Cap-utos - four locations
Eurofresh - Palatine
Joseph's Marketplace - Crystal Lake
Valli Produce - Palatine
Garden Fresh Markets - eight locations

Asian Markets:

Super H-Mart (Korean) - Naperville and Niles
Mitsuwa Marketplace - Arlington Heights

There are dozens of other markets available that do a great job and carry nearly any food known to mankind.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Generally speaking I personally never had any trouble with the quality or freshness of Kroger vegetables (or fresh deli) in 60-years. I never had any problem with Aldi's fresh foods since it opened in Illinois. Walmart quality has improved remarkably in several areas in the last 10 years. Fresh foods is one of the better areas now

I could always find Kosher, plus the "something different" at Kroger branded stores.. Given a choice I prefer Kroger dairy products. Aldi is considently lower priced in most products. I find nothing wrong with the Aldi store brand and many times it is healthier than its name brand counterpart. Fresh Market was new in my area last year. My cousin reports that it is pricey for the quantity but generally a nice product. It is a NC store that is sllowly expanding with stores in Chicago and downstate. Jewel and Kroger have been in competition in Chicago for at least 40 years that I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs