Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM

13 posts, read 40,227 times

Advertisements

HI, i am planning to move to Oak Park. i am a foregn national and will be on a 2-3 year assignment w/ my company which is located in Warrenville. the company will provide a car for me.

my question is: will i be able to acquire a street parking permit (in case the apartment that we will rent won't have off-street parking) EVEN if my name will not be on the lease agreement (the agreement is btw my company and the leasing company) and the car is not registered under my name.

thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
I suspect that the manageent company can supply you with the proper documentation to get a permit for the car that you need.

Oak Park has lots of rules but generally a little more responsive municipal employees than other places...

Old 10-22-2011, 06:31 AM

thanks Chett... would village parking permit allow me to park overnight or is there some restriction (even for residents)

would my wife be able to get one for her car eventually? or is the number of permits limited to 1 by household?

is there any official link i can read up on this topic? the parking question would very much influence which apartment i would choose.

thanks

Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
thanks Chett... would village parking permit allow me to park overnight or is there some restriction (even for residents)

would my wife be able to get one for her car eventually? or is the number of permits limited to 1 by household?

is there any official link i can read up on this topic? the parking question would very much influence which apartment i would choose.

thanks
Overnight on-street parking is restricted to certain zones in Oak Park. These zones are clustered near the large apartment complexes (where the need for on street parking is high.) Once you have the permit, you can park in your zone without restriction. There is no limit per household.

Living In Oak Park -- Parking

Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 AM

hey all, I've been looking at an apartment at 615 Washington, OP, which is at the corner or Washington and East. i love the apartment, but it comes without parking.
i am trying to figure out what the parking possibilities are there, and i am looking at the map on the village home page, but its kind of confusing:
http://www.oak-park.us/public/pdfs/P...ctions_map.pdf
can someone who lives there/near tell me how the parking would work? thanks

**i would have to get back to the realtor latest by monday morning so i would appreciate a quick response here

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
hey all, I've been looking at an apartment at 615 Washington, OP, which is at the corner or Washington and East. i love the apartment, but it comes without parking.
i am trying to figure out what the parking possibilities are there, and i am looking at the map on the village home page, but its kind of confusing:
http://www.oak-park.us/public/pdfs/P...ctions_map.pdf
can someone who lives there/near tell me how the parking would work? thanks

**i would have to get back to the realtor latest by monday morning so i would appreciate a quick response here
Looks like the yellow blocks allow on street parking with a permit. Because a private high school is across the street, there is also on street parking for non-resident commuters with a permit. Without a permit, most blocks allow 2 or3 hr parking only. The nice thing about commuter parking is that at the end of the day, commuters go home leaving spots open for residents.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 AM

These are the night time restrictions too. It's very complicated, but there is plenty of overnight zoned parking by your apt.

http://www.oak-park.us/public/pdfs/P...permit_map.pdf

If I were you, I'd go there today and look at the signs, and see how many cars are parked on the various blocks.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times
I would call the number on the parking map, or if possible, go to the Village Hall and talk to them about your options.

I would also walk around the area to see what the signs indicate, but often the maps the city provides (and even the signs on the street for public lots) are not completely accurate. So calling/going to the Village Hall is a good bet.

Right now that area is over-parked. Lots of apartments and being so close to the high schools mean that a lot of people want to park there. During the day it can be packed. I live only a few blocks away from there and there aren't ANY street parking permits available for my area from the Village. So I can't park in my near neighborhood on the street at night. Fortunately, I found a private parking space a couple blocks away (the village has a list of people offering these spaces). This is often a little pricier then the street permit, but these private spaces can be more flexible (24 hour spaces). But it can be hard to find such a space near you.

When you park on the street in that neighborhood, there will likely be days you need to move your car by a certain time (ex. move it during the day), or street cleaning that you have to remember etc... and in winter if there is a bad snow, you will need to move it as well. Hopefully the village still has street permits available, but if they don't, they will give you a special pass to let you park for a month while you can wait (hope) for a street permit to open up.

Depending on your work hours, you may have to search a little for a space when you get home at night and may walk a few blocks. But it will be manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs