Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I just found a lovely condo that we are considering renting in the surroundings of Ridge and Dobson Ave in Evanston. I have visited the neighborhood to see the condo twice during daytime and did not have any feeling that it is an unsafe street/area. As a matter of fact it seemed to me like a quite street. However, yesterday night we gave a short drive to the area and it took our attention that we saw these blue lights on some corners. When we asked, someone told us those are devices the police uses for crime control? So now we are a bit concern regarding safety. You know, We have a baby and also my husband works the night shift in a store in Chicago. So most of the time I would be alone with my baby and my husband would be getting home around 3-4 am. Is it a safe place for us? what do you think?

We would like to have any input from people that have lived there or know the area.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I think it is a safe place. And I like Evanston a lot.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks Mainigault

I very much appreciate your reply. I will consider renting that apartment then.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 AM

62 posts, read 224,746 times
I live north of the area you're investigating, though I take my children for walks in that area in the daytime. One source of information about crime in the area you might be interested in is City of Evanston - Police - Crime Statistics & Reports - Montly Crime Maps (http://www.cityofevanston.org/departments/police/reports/MonthlyCrimeMaps.shtml - broken link)
There tends to be intermittent crime around Howard Street, hence the police outpost there and the blue lights you saw. In my opinion, west of Ridge on Dobson, and a second (or higher) story condo, are the best scenarios considering the info in your post.
It is an area with many conveniences, and you'd be able to walk with your baby to stores and restaurants, and the lake, which is a bonus!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM

86 posts, read 698,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
I live north of the area you're investigating, though I take my children for walks in that area in the daytime. One source of information about crime in the area you might be interested in is City of Evanston - Police - Crime Statistics & Reports - Montly Crime Maps (http://www.cityofevanston.org/departments/police/reports/MonthlyCrimeMaps.shtml - broken link)
There tends to be intermittent crime around Howard Street, hence the police outpost there and the blue lights you saw. In my opinion, west of Ridge on Dobson, and a second (or higher) story condo, are the best scenarios considering the info in your post.
It is an area with many conveniences, and you'd be able to walk with your baby to stores and restaurants, and the lake, which is a bonus!
Suggesting the OP stroll her baby down to the beach is a great idea...just not down Howard St!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks Bogey!

I found the link you provided to be very useful.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: