Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,005 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Chicago. She will be working in Il. Medical district so close to the blue and pink line trains. We are wondering what areas would be best to live in.

- Late twenties white couple
- Relying on public transport and would like short commuting times to medical district
- Safety is a top priority, both in terms of the location and commuting on trains late at night
- Willing to buy a place if less than 100k$
- Willing to rent up to $1600
- Restaurants and activities nearby would be a bonus

Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,009,583 times
The City would be better for you if you need public transit and don't need schools. Oak Park/Forest Park are good bets for the burbs.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,937,026 times
The Medical district has good transportation so you could live almost anywhere in the region. Restaurants and activities are a limiting factor, though. And the city is definitely best for that. Near west side is great for that.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for your replies. I don't think I want to live downtown Chicago, I think the burbs would be a better choice so Ill look at forest park

Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Forest Park really has the appearance of nearby part of Chicago itself.

There is a big difference between living in "downtown" Chicago, which is nearly all high-rises and townhouses with no real backyards and the sort of low scale apartments and single family homes that exist around the UIC / Taylor St / Medical Center -- lots and lots of "three flats" and older single family homes. The lot sizes are generally such that there is a two car garage and small backyard beyond these place, interconnected with alleys. That sort of development pattern basically stretches west to almost DuPage County.

If you did live in DuPage Co or even a nice town like Western Springs on the edge of Cook Co you'd be facing a longer commute, paying more mostly for high quality grade schools you do not need, limiting options for dining / nightlife aimed more at families and just not fitting in all that well.

Don't get me wrong, Forest Park is a nice enough town too, but it is no way superior based on your wishlist...

Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,420,594 times
How early/late will you be taking the trains? For example, off of rush hours, after 8pm or before 6am? Sometimes hospital hours can push you into times of day with fewer commuters walk to/from trains or on the trains themselves.

Just wondering what City-Data folks think about a young woman traveling alone (maybe in a white coat....) on the Blue line in the evening? If she was traveling out to Forest Park/Oak Park (which might be fine for your requirements)?

From my own experience, the Blue line can sometimes be a little more shady off hours, going west from the city towards Forest Park. If you are city savvy, you should be ok, but it should be considered.

I would also considering living in the UIC neighborhood. Living in walking distance to work, when you are working long hospital hours, can improve your quality of life immensely.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
How early/late will you be taking the trains? For example, off of rush hours, after 8pm or before 6am? Sometimes hospital hours can push you into times of day with fewer commuters walk to/from trains or on the trains themselves.

Just wondering what City-Data folks think about a young woman traveling alone (maybe in a white coat....) on the Blue line in the evening? If she was traveling out to Forest Park/Oak Park (which might be fine for your requirements)?

From my own experience, the Blue line can sometimes be a little more shady off hours, going west from the city towards Forest Park. If you are city savvy, you should be ok, but it should be considered.

I would also considering living in the UIC neighborhood. Living in walking distance to work, when you are working long hospital hours, can improve your quality of life immensely.
This is a very good question, thanks. She will indeed be doing long and crazy hrs, has anybody got any thoughts on that on the blue Line? Specifically what times to Avoid? I guess she could get a taxi or we could look into getting a car

Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Where are you coming from? Are you city savvy?

I would recommend walking around UIC neighborhood. See if you would be comfortable living there. Maybe look around Madison street in Forest park, and Harrison street Arts district in Oak Park. That is a diverse assortment.

Folks - can you recommend what streets around UIC they should walk around to look for apartments - where you would feel it is safe for a single woman to be walking alone in the dark at all hours? That will be their situation.

If you can afford it (and if she's a resident, and you have two salaries, you can), I would think about having a basic car and living in forest park/oak park. The commute off hours wont be bad at all. Just avoid the 3:30pm - 6pm hours like the plague. The one good side of working crazy long days... will be less traffic.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

You may get more replies by posting in the Chicago forum, since UIC is in Chicago.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,724,668 times
Why don't you just live in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs