Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM

13,016 posts, read 19,021,563 times

Advertisements

Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows are good. Remember the 53 expressway ends at Lake Cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:18 PM

4,152 posts, read 8,004,050 times
arlington heights would be good if neither would be too close to work. I like Arlington heights better that the other suburbs mentioned it has a great downtown and good housing stock. dont move to oak park. out of the way. wheaton and glen ellyn are charming communiities. You will probably fall in love with them and want to live there. vernon hills in okay too. why not rent a place for a year and see if you really like it? Once you buy it wont be easy to move again in this market. Many homes available for rent now.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,863,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And this provides a reasonble commute to both Vernon Hills AND Wheaton?!
Of course it doesn't. But if I hadn't mentioned it, someone would have recommended it eventually.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,872 times
I would recommend southern Palatine, Arlington Heights, or western buffalo grove. Or if price is -really- no issue, long grove. You will practicly FLY to wheaton and back home depending on how you drive, as most people will be going the other way. Construction was finished on that freeway just last year, so now is a good time to be driving on it. Your husbands commute, however, will not be so great, most people will be going the way he is (that whole northern area is a cluster**** during rush hours). So to alleviate this, living closer to his work is justified.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,326,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro623 View Post
I would recommend southern Palatine, Arlington Heights, or western buffalo grove. Or if price is -really- no issue, long grove. You will practicly FLY to wheaton and back home depending on how you drive, as most people will be going the other way. Construction was finished on that freeway just last year, so now is a good time to be driving on it. Your husbands commute, however, will not be so great, most people will be going the way he is (that whole northern area is a cluster**** during rush hours). So to alleviate this, living closer to his work is justified.
I don't know, I can get to Hawthorn Mall (rte 60) from my home in AH in about 30 minutes during rush hour. Just need to know some of the secondary routes instead of taking AH road or Rte 83 or rte 21 like everyone else. And I would not suggest someone commuting to Wheaton go too far north. The Rte 53/Lake Cook rd interchange is slow as is traffic east/west & north of there. From So. Palatine/Arlington Heights (south of Palatine Rd) to Long Grove adds 10-20 minutes. So now the 35-45 minute commute becomes 45-60 minutes? Not worth it IMO, although Long Grove is beautiful. Now if the NIMBYS there would only allow the rte 53 extension......

Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,326,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows are good. Remember the 53 expressway ends at Lake Cook.
If close to Rte 53/I-290. I just find AH and even Palatine aesthetically more pleasing than Schaumburg or Rolling Meadows.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 22,110 times
I grew up in Rolling Meadows. My husband and I lived in Wheaton for seven years. And we now lived in Herndon, Va and have been here almost two years. My husband had an office in Vernon Hills when we lived in Wheaton. It took about 45 mins to and hour to get there and he would leave early (before 7:00 am).

We LOVED Wheaton!!! it is and awesome community. Great schools, park district, and charming downtown. We have not found anything like it in NOVA. We are actually considering moving back because we loved it so much. We have two small kids and it would be an awesome place to raise them!

I also have friends in Arlington Heights. I think Wheaton is better personally, but this area has everything Wheaton has too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs