Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rate the following aspects os Joliet Il
Weather 11 55.00%
Fun and enterteiment 8 40.00%
College 9 45.00%
Security 10 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 26,530 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 22 years old guy movin from Dominican Republic (caribbean) to Joliet Illinois in orde to study.

Please suggets about that place, the envirioment, people everything.

I'll be very greatful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2006, 04:52 PM

32 posts, read 281,309 times
Angry Response

Hi,

I hope I can hep. I now live in Wisconsin and returning to Chicago (born and raised) this summer. I've never lived in Joliet but have read the news on the heavy drug and gang activity. There is quite a few incidences of violent crimes reported often. The reason is the recent mixed income project of the mayor. He is trying to intergrate Chicago through economics. Not good! All blacks are not poor and all whites are not rich. You have hard working people of all cultures living with people who don't want to work but shoot, drugs and gang activity. I am an African American who had a pretty good job and was really pissed when my neighbors with no regard in preservation of a nice neighborhood decides to bring their criminal and loud behavior next door to me. So Joliet fell into that years ago. Just be careful! Go to city-data.com and check out the stats. I hoped I helped, soorry I kinda of got the soapbox there for a minute.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 51,391 times
Hello,

I really hope you change your mind. Joliet is rated the worst suburb to live in, next to Aurora. I was trying to pull up the site that I read it from, but I forgot where I got the statistics. I want to live in the neighboring suburbs, but NOT in Joliet. For your safety, I suggest you choose someplace different.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 AM

3 posts, read 15,758 times
Stay away from Joliet! as a mater of fact stay away from Ill. if you can study somewhere else do it! The whole state is going to crap! born here over 50 years. From Joliet to Waukegan the whole area is awash with gangs, drugs, whores, high taxes,and ozone days(those are day that the polution is so bad they advise you stay indoors!) No thankyou that why I'm retiring soon and heading south to TN. If you could I would study down there instead.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 PM

220 posts, read 676,515 times
Joliet is one of the fastest growing areas in the state, areas west of I-55 are very modern and you would be quite happy there.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:26 PM

68 posts, read 569,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanboi
Hi I'm a 22 years old guy movin from Dominican Republic (caribbean) to Joliet Illinois in orde to study.

Please suggets about that place, the envirioment, people everything.

I'll be very greatful
Plainfield & Shorewood are less than 15 min west of Joliet & are really nice & safe places to live. My parents bought a house in Joliet a few years ago but it is west of I-55. Basically it's Plainfeild. Both towns are full of brand new suburbs & if you do a good search you can probably find a nice apartment or condo. What school are you going to??? If you're going to Joliet Junior College then don't worry about crime there. I went there for a semester & it's in a really nice area. The campus is actually pretty nice too. It has a lovely little river running through it. I can't say anything else about the other colleges. As far as I know once you get closer to the river that runs through joliet then the crime gets REALLY bad. So, just try to find a place more than 10 min west of the river & you should be fine. Good luck

Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 120,136 times
If you stay on the West side of Joliet you will be fine. The drugs and gangs here in Joliet are not as bad as people make it to be. Since you are here to study, I'm thinking college, you do not have much to worry about. The colleges here ar really good and you will get a good education. If you live at the college dorm, you will find lots of friends. Don't listen to everything people say. You should judge it for your self.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 167,151 times
Wow! Some of you are really scary individuals. Joliet is not crime-free, but no place is perfect. The crime pales in comparison to most American cities. If you are a "man" and focused your goal (meaning staying out of illegal activities and out of people's business), you should be able to survive alright.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 20,164 times
I've lived in Joliet all my life. My suggestion is to stay closer to the west side or closer to Joliet Junior College. Very quite that way. DO NOT STAY AT LARKIN VILLAGE OR ANYWHERE NEAR THOSE APARTMENTS. TOOO MANY YOUNG TEENAGERS, BANGING MUSIC.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 26,530 times
Thanks for ur replays, The university I will atttend to is Lewys, but I will live with some relatives in joliet in Crescenzo Dr. -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs