Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 20,912 times

Advertisements

I know there has been countless threads on here about people moving to the city trying to find safe places to live but none of them really answer my question.

Am about to start a rotation at Mt. Sinai (California Ave.) and have been looking for decent neighbourhoods to find a flatshare.

I've been reading on here that Wicker Park is nice and the obvious places such as Lincoln Park and the Loop but I'm having trouble understanding how difficult the commute and transport situation will be like for getting to Mt. Sinai.

I'm from London so am happy to be walking about and using the bus/train but my understanding is that no one walks about around that area and I don't want to get any trouble walking about like some wierd limey!

So basically if anyone can point me to places to check out with nice transport links to the hospital i'd be eternally greatful.

I'd rather be in a nice place which is a slightly harder commute so I have at least enjoy the weekends in Chicago than be really really close to the hospital and in a not so safe place and be house bound.

I'd also be leaving the hospital around 6'ish every day.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:32 AM

46 posts, read 144,575 times
You will like Little Italy/Tri-Taylor. It is near your residency. I lived there with a friend for awhile who did his at University of Chicago. I always felt safe. Between the University of Illinois Police, Chicago Police, and the Chicago Police Detectives and the FBI Agents roaming around you always had some sort of Law Enforcement prescence 24 hours which is great for your comfort. I was skeptical at first and now I wouldn't be able to pinpoint exactly why I was; I just thought the neighborhood may not be safe. But I would move back in a heart beat. All the restaurants on Taylor. All the convenience of Roosevelt Road from the Lake to Little Italy. It had some sort of odd charm about the whole neighborhood. It was unique in Chicago for its diversity. I loved loved loved it. I suggest you experience it. To add to it, you are technically in walking distance to the West Loop which adds even more to the array of things you can find. Granted it is 12 blocks but 12 blocks in that neighborhood is actually only 1 mile. Super easy access to Downtown. And if you absolutely wanted to you could live near the Blue/Pink Line and catch it to a close proximity to Sinai. I am not exactly sure if its a stop for Sinai on Pink Line but I know it runs along Ogden and Sinai is on Ogden.

Check it out. When I was there a few years ago, rent was at minimum 1000 per month. Not exactly sure where their residencies were but the neighborhood was absolutely filled to the brim with other Doctors going through residency. It also had a decent social aspect to the neighborhood too.

Loved the restaurnants. I loved Sweet Maple Cafe because they had the sorts of breakfast we ate at home being an originally southern family through and through. People stood in line for literal hours to get in.

Again I would like to reiterate, experience the neighborhood for yourself and do not even listen to me. I was skeptical at first but I absolutely loved it. It may look as though it is unsafe and people on here will tell you its not safe but it probably safer than anywhere in Chicago. Just as an example; my parents always said they felt scared for me because I was a walking target because I wore things like Louis Vuitton Athletic shoes and Japanese label jeans and the sort of things that people were aware were expensive items. Never ever ever ever ever ever felt unsafe or was I acosted in this neighborhood by anyone even though it was mixed among public housing. You may or may not like it but I urge you to check it out.

Last edited by tlm12283; 09-06-2011 at 02:15 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 AM

Here is a link for you that has some rentals. I urge you to experience it and you may like it. I loved it.

University Village / Little Italy Apartments For Rent and other University Village / Little Italy Rentals — Trulia.com

Here is the community profile as written by the tribune:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...hood-west-side

Last edited by tlm12283; 09-06-2011 at 01:52 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
If you haven't already done so, you should start a thread in the Chicago forum. This is the suburban forum, you'll get more and better responses there.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 40,328 times
Anyplace is safe as long as you're vigilant

Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Check Out Message Boards at Hospitals

With Little Italy being a part of the Medical District, you should maybe go to one of the hospitals in that area like Cook County, Rush or University of Illinois and search the message board for those looking for roommates.

As I said before, a ton of Residents live in the neighborhood.

Here are some links that may help:

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/Sa...&ssbinary=true

This is one you can find roommates:

http://www.roommates4you.com/search/?csz=60608

Last edited by tlm12283; 09-06-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs