Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM

457 posts, read 979,281 times

Advertisements

Ok, heres the scenerio. My neighbor was hired as a staff assistant for a southern CA city. She worked at an off site location with 5 male techs and 1 male manager. Over time, she gets attitude from one of the techs because she's making changes. He begins to tell her that he will get her transferred to city hall. Typical boys club.

This guy also makes trouble for the other techs which resulted in a screaming match. Human Resources makes everybody sign a paper about sensitivity etc.. My neighbor even got dragged into it and had to sign the paper.

At one point, he makes uncomfortable comments to her which she tells the boss. She then finds out from another tech that the guy was diciplined for sexual harrassment. No one talked with her about it.
Short time later, she gets notified of being transferred to city hall. While packing her stuff, she injures her wrist.

No big deal. Now she works for another department with a small workers comp case. Since she's been at the city hall doing her job, she still does the work for the off site location. Of course, now she's working with women who are drama queens and treat her like an intern. She has some personal health issues and used up her vacation and sick time. She's 2 months from vesting 5 yrs in retirement.

Needless to say she asks the girl next to her to releave her desk while she took a break. Girl ignores my friend which results my friend repeating herself. Girl replies, OK..I'm not going to argue about it. Argue!!! WTF. Short time later, they both have to sign a paper about hostile work enviorment and sensitivity. Holy, cow...another paper. My friend is walking on egg shells now. She got three emails that vacation and sick time must be taken prior to leave without pay per manager's policy.

My friend does not care about being off the books. Just when she thinks everything is ok since the second signed paper, she gets "written up" for creating a hostile work enviornment and using leave without pay. She was told leave without pay is not an option for her. They told her she needs to make doctors appointments before or after work. What doctors work before 8am or after 6pm? They told her not to speak and the written reprimand was not up for discussion.

Now she's crying, can't sleep, gets headaches and nausea. I told her to contact the union reference disputing the written repremand and leave without pay policy. Now she's stressed to drive to work under medication while sick in fear of losing her job. I told her to take family leave without pay.

Someone suggested going on disability so she gets some income? Someone suggested file a stress workers comp? I told her to contact CA Fair Employment & Housing. The city is discriminating against her for her health...hence the need to take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,417,237 times
This isn't really appropriate to this forum.

This long story/saga doesn't seem to be related to a worker's comp/disability situation. Personal issues/job issues that are too confusing for discussion on this forum.

She should go talk to her union rep.

I hope you are not suggesting to her to try to abuse applying for disability. She should talk to her physician and they will guide her with regard to her current symptoms and her long term needs.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM

457 posts, read 979,281 times
Sorry posted on the wrong thread. I suggested to her if she's having health issues do to her work enviornment than she has options. Of course, following the legal and medical routes! Thanks.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,304,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
Now she's crying, can't sleep, gets headaches and nausea. I told her to contact the union reference disputing the written repremand and leave without pay policy. Now she's stressed to drive to work under medication while sick in fear of losing her job. I told her to take family leave without pay.

Someone suggested going on disability so she gets some income? Someone suggested file a stress workers comp? I told her to contact CA Fair Employment & Housing. The city is discriminating against her for her health...hence the need to take off.
This is not California. Work stress is not covered under Workers Compensation in the state of Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs