Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 46,684 times

Advertisements

We are 'still' in the process of relocating back to the Chicago burbs and I would really, really appreciate it if people could chime in on their specific experiences - good and bad - with Naperville elementary schools. Both 203 and 204.

Background: my son is in first grade and has a communication delay - formal dx is ASD. So, in our search for schools with great special ed programs - for very high functioning, eerily smart kiddos - many paths lead us back to Naperville.

I have contacted both districts with very detailed emails, specific questions and in particular asking which elementary schools would be a good fit. I rec'd essentially the same response: "We get many inquiries like yours and encourage families to make a choice as to what community they wish to live in and generally the services will be available."

Thinking that going directly to the source would be more beneficial, I called one elementary school that was in an area we liked and was, for all intensive purposes, told the exact same thing - almost verbatim. Although, after what felt like asking the same question 1000 different ways, the asst principal finally admitted that some schools have what they call 'open pod' formats and that the district, on whole, expect students to conform to their home school environment rather than send them to another district school that is better fitted to their learning style. That was all the info I could get.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I really don't want to drop 500k for a house on the premise that 'generally the services will be available". As I stated, many paths lead back to Naperville for special needs. I don't want to cross them off the list due to my aversion to what appears to be canned responses but many of the other west/southwest districts are much more straightforward regarding programs, tours etc...

Again - I really appreciate any and all insight. We have sold our house (6 days. Yippee!), are planning our house hunting trip and really need to finetune the desirable areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
Moving is stressful, goodness knows. The fact is that both 203 & 204 are large districts with well qualified staff and administrators. They are absolutely capable of delivering just about any kind of services required to help children.

I suspect that some times of the year (like right about now...) they get swamped with requests from prospective buyers and have developed a "script" so that they are not doing / saying anything that will lead to disappointment or legal problems. It is not that they are uncaring, just cautious.

If you prefer a school district that is smaller you run the risk that the services are probably a little less well developed.

I strongly agree that if you make your choice based on the "total package" of what the community / school / house offers it is far better than putting undue pressure on any one aspect.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM

15 posts, read 46,684 times
Thanks Chet.

I initially contacted them last November when Chicago was just a possibility. That was when I received the generic email responses. I was in Chicago over St. Pats interviewing schools and drove around Naperville to see if it would be a match for the QOL we want. That prompted my second round of emails to the districts (same type answers) and I finally got in touch with an Asst Principal about 2 weeks ago which generated not near the information required to commit to buy in that area. The statement that they expected a kiddo to adapt to their home school environment regardless of their challenges made me question the fit not only with my son, but with my husband and I.

It appears that from top down and regardless of time of year, they just weren't going to provide details.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
The philosophy is not just to frustrate prospective buyers or "CYA" against later law suits. The larger Unit districts that do well really do try to maintain parity between schools. In Illinois a "Unit distric" goes from pre-k thru 12. There are some huge districts (like Chicago itself) where the variance between schools is extreme. This tends to make it tough for some kids to get the services they need in the nearest school and the relocation tends to exacerbate differences and drive up costs.

At the other end you have some small Unit Districts where the schools are run a just a continuum of age -- examples of these in western burbs would be Lisle.

Some where in the middle you have bigger Unit Districts like 203 & 204 that honestly do try to keep schools very similar AND all doing a good job of educating kids.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM

358 posts, read 848,963 times
Ahhhhh, Naperville. The golden jewel of the Chicago Burbs'. The place that won't let me park my van by their river, ever. The sun always shines, and the people always smile....except at homeless guys in the business district. The land of perfection. Naperville=Winning.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM

21 posts, read 53,259 times
I have a stepson with ADHD, and Naperville 203 has been great. He went to Prairie for Elementary School and Washington for Junior High. We live in Naper School boundaries now, and my neighbors LOVE Naper. I believe the very very very gifted kids end up in a program at Kennedy Junior High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs