Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for a convertible studio, 1 bdrm, or even 2bdrm if it's reasonably priced (so friends/fam can visit). I will be moving in 1-2 weeks, and can afford:
UP TO $2100 rent - would prefer not to spend this much but if it's an amazing place that I love, I'll do it. View of lake would be nice for that price.

I have a car but I really want to be within walking distance of either Chicago (Red/Brown), Grand, or Clark/Davidson metros.

I would like to be somewhere fun and clean

Any ideas?

Last edited by aliraz; 05-04-2011 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 AM

13,020 posts, read 19,068,998 times
The Mayfair neighborhood, by the Edens/Kennedy junction offers quick travel to Northbrook and rapid transit to downtown, though it is the Blue line. Bonus: if you don't feel like driving everyday there is Metra service to Lake Cook Rd. And it should be within your budget.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,868,304 times
Andersonville, take Clark to Peterson to I94. You'll get a nice 1 BD for $1000. There's an available 2BD on my block for $1350. Plus your close to restaurants, bars, groceries, the Lake, CTA, etc. You'll be bored up by the work place.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,775,704 times
Your question is more suited to the Chicago forum than the Chicago suburbs forum.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm going to have to check all of those out. I reviewed the forum more in depth, and it seems that i need to be in Evanston. It's a nice young town that's between Northbrook and actual Chicago city. I was looking forward to getting a place just north of the loop, perhaps in the 'chicago' red line metro, but it seems like it'll take well over an hour to get to Northbrook from there.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,463,802 times
That's not a bad idea at all. If you are into the nightlife just be prepared to commute into Chicago on the weekends, but still, this is a very practical idea. Remember, Evanston has the CTA trains, the Metra trains, and cabbies are usually cool with driving you back to Evanston from Chicago since a lot of them live in the nearby Chicago neighborhoods of Rogers Park & Edgewater. Getting to work on Lake-Cook Road will be MUCH easier from Evanston than it would be from the city. There are a variety of scenic backroads (ie. Sheridan Road) that you can take to work when the Edens Expressway (94) is backed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliraz View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm going to have to check all of those out. I reviewed the forum more in depth, and it seems that i need to be in Evanston. It's a nice young town that's between Northbrook and actual Chicago city. I was looking forward to getting a place just north of the loop, perhaps in the 'chicago' red line metro, but it seems like it'll take well over an hour to get to Northbrook from there.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,775,704 times
Especially if you plan to drive to work, it's not always easy to find rentals with parking in the city.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Check if any of Optima's Evanston properties are available for lease or purchase. Those are some nice luxury properties in Evanston that you may be able to afford with your budget. Well, according to the website units are sold out, but I'm sure there are always people renting out units. Here's the official website:

Scottsdale | Phoenix | Arizona || Skokie | Evanston | Chicago | Illinois || Optima Luxury Condominiums

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM

This forum is full of great information and help, thanks again everyone. I saw the luxury apartments earlier from this furnished posting:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/apa/2361314378.html (broken link)
It looks amazing!! Too bad it's out of my budget
I really enjoyed the view of this unit as well:
[url]http://www.rentsmartchicago.com/index.cfm?page=details&id=1086[/url]

What a beautiful skyline.
I'm going to really enjoy this city! If there are further recommendations or posts, keep em coming I'm learning from everyone.

Last edited by aliraz; 05-04-2011 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: I can't seem to make the URL coding work...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM

You're gonna love summertime in Chicago. I will forewarn you though. During the peak of winter you'll probably be in a hurry to catch the first plane back to California lol. That can be an especially difficult time of year to get through if you're not really into winter but you'll learn to layer up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliraz View Post
This forum is full of great information and help, thanks again everyone. I saw the luxury apartments earlier from this furnished posting:
Top floor apartment with amazing views (http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/apa/2361314378.html - broken link)
It looks amazing!! Too bad it's out of my budget
I really enjoyed the view of this unit as well:
Chicago Apartments | Search Chicago Apartment Rentals | Rent Smart Chicago

What a beautiful skyline.
I'm going to really enjoy this city! If there are further recommendations or posts, keep em coming I'm learning from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs