Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Well, the problem is no one votes. I

n Schaumburg, I believe only 7000 voted. With roughly 1000 govt workers in Schaumburg (and about 100 of them making over 100k a year), each gov worker would only have to get a couple family members and friends to vote to ensure the pork and status quo.
Like i said hey i dont mind paying my fair share its just when the system gets abused- way off topic and am sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
The property tax system is more mysterious than picking a new Pope! maybe more so! I have had success appealing at my Township office. Wheeling township has people in the office who know how to walk you through an appeals process. I also use an appeals lawyer who gets half of the savings. One year I appealed myself using comps of same style house in my neighborhood and by showing how Sq. Ft. was too high. My value was adjusted down accordingly. Same year I gave the lawyer a chance and he was able to get another reduction.
Fair or not, even when property values go down, local government still needs $ for police, fire, schools, libraries, parks, snow removal etc.. The costs of running government has not gone down at the same ratio as our home values, so the tax rates are increased to provide the needed revenues.
I too question efficiency in government agencies, but do not question the need for the services they provide!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The property tax system is more mysterious than picking a new Pope! maybe more so! I have had success appealing at my Township office. Wheeling township has people in the office who know how to walk you through an appeals process. I also use an appeals lawyer who gets half of the savings. One year I appealed myself using comps of same style house in my neighborhood and by showing how Sq. Ft. was too high. My value was adjusted down accordingly. Same year I gave the lawyer a chance and he was able to get another reduction.
Fair or not, even when property values go down, local government still needs $ for police, fire, schools, libraries, parks, snow removal etc.. The costs of running government has not gone down at the same ratio as our home values, so the tax rates are increased to provide the needed revenues.
I too question efficiency in government agencies, but do not question the need for the services they provide!
I dont mind paying a little extra for nice roads
fire, police emergency services that is all and well

Its cumbersome to say the least
and they are really "*****"
when you try to challenge them.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Maybe the Illinois is Broke - Real Budget Reform movement has some merit.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Maybe the Illinois is Broke - Real Budget Reform movement has some merit.
Huh
already signed that petition
thanks

we do need some real change in the state
I think we may get it next time around
i know this voter is going to remember
alot of things that have been happening. @!!!!!1

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
St. Charles township - ours went up $200 this year. In the 20 years we have owned here, our taxes go up every single year. Even though the value of our home is down from what it was (like everyone elses) The reason we moved out to Kane county originally was the taxes are lower. No longer the case. What a joke property taxes are. When/if we retire, we are outta here.
Someone I know pays an atty to dispute his property taxes every 3 years, the atty guarantees a reduction. In the area where he lives, It is worth the $$$ to have it done so I am told.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
My taxes went up $419 from last year. I went back and checked my tax bills from 2006 thru last year. Over the 4 years of this housing crises, the assessor lowered the value of my house only 1.5% while raising the tax rate 8.5%. I know damn well that the value of my house went down at least 10% if not more but by only lowering it 1.5% when the price of houses starts to go back up they will have a higher basis from which to increase the value and therefore get more taxes. Out of that $419 increase, $343 of it went to the school district. And I just read in today's paper that the OUT GOING school board members voted to extend the principal's contract for 3 years with increases of 3%, 4%, 5% for those years adding $500,000 to her pension. But hell, it's only money and Illinois can afford it.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
I am in Wheatland township, north Plainfield. I called up the township, and asked to speak to an assessor. The airhead on the other line said he wasn't there. So I proceeded to ask her when will the sale of my home be completed? Couple of seconds of silence. She says I have no idea what you are talking about. I said, you guys say my house is valued at this number, I am more than willing to take it, and was wondering when the township will buy my house. Crickets chirping........

Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
I'm in Wheatland township too, so I'm sure you're situation is the same as mine. The assessor, (Kelly) is/was a friend of mine and I'll be calling her in the next couple of days for some answers.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
Plainfield hasn't built a new school in three years, for a while there they were building five a year. So why do they need to take in additional revenue? Pure nonsense. And my mother in law has a nerve to say she is worth almost $100k in salary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs