Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 AM

13 posts, read 40,203 times

Advertisements

hi, i will work in warrenville, and so far i have looked at neighbouring suburb, but as we are a young couple without children, and we are used to live in city centre it dawned on me that maybe we could live in chicago and commute warrenville.

is that a crazy idea?

if not:
- what would the commute be like with a car? would i be sitting in traffic jam for most of my morning/afternoon?
- which districts of Chicago should i consider (looking for fairly middle-upmarket)
- would i be better of by usin the train to commute?
- incase train is a better option from commuting time point of view - what areas are good which are clode to major train station 8serving the line towards warrenville)

thanks for any advise in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 AM

98 posts, read 111,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
is that a crazy idea?
Pretty much.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Not entirely. BNSF has some express trains out that way. As long as you can get transportation to your workplace from the station you should be fine. You can even bring a bicycle aboard on reverse commute runs. Be sure to live convenient to Union Station. Driving that way every morning would be a pain, though many do so.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Schedule
Whoops, forgot this. Navistar is about three miles from the Naperville station.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
hi, i will work in warrenville, and so far i have looked at neighbouring suburb, but as we are a young couple without children, and we are used to live in city centre it dawned on me that maybe we could live in chicago and commute warrenville.

is that a crazy idea?

if not:
- what would the commute be like with a car? would i be sitting in traffic jam for most of my morning/afternoon?
- which districts of Chicago should i consider (looking for fairly middle-upmarket)
- would i be better of by usin the train to commute?
- incase train is a better option from commuting time point of view - what areas are good which are clode to major train station 8serving the line towards warrenville)

thanks for any advise in advance.
I know metra serves winfield which is right next to warrenville.
only problem is how to get from the station to your job.
everyday.

i am not sure if pace runs routes out there or not in that specific area.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
There are bus routes that link both Cantera and the Warrenville Rd corridor to the rail lines. I am pretty sure that the east end lines link to Lisle.

Not sure if there are line to the west end from the UP west line (which is where Winfield would be, but that stop is quite far to the north...) but I do know there are buses from downtown Naperville. The trip is about 15-20 minutes. I know some people that can bicycle the route in about half the time, but you need to factor in weather ( raining again...), bikes are allowed on the routes that are not crowded, so a reverse commute is gnerally OK for bicycles, unless the train fills up with folks heading into Chicago for baseball or a fest in the evening.

Either way I think your total commute time is likely to be far greater and options for arrival / departure more limited than if you drove / car pooled. Car pooling might be a good option as fuel prices could be split. There are lots of jobs in that corridor and I gotta think some folks from the city would be happy to split up driving duties.

Last edited by chet everett; 04-26-2011 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 40,203 times
thanks for all the valuable inputs. this forum rocks!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM

279 posts, read 759,757 times
Like others have said, this is doable if you can get to your office in Warrenville relatively easily and quickly from a metra station out there (BNSF line). Driving would take over an hour each way during rush hour.

The BNSF is one of the only (maybe the one) metra line that actually has express service in the reverse commute direction, although this service is very limited. However, if you can catch the express train and then have an easy way to get to your office, the commute wouldn't be all that bad. Similarly on the way back home, but if you miss the express run, you'll sit on the train for probably an hour going through all the stops.

To make this commute as painless as possible, I would recommend to live close to Union Station (walking distance). The last thing I would want is to have to rely on another city train or bus for this commute. The area right around Union Station isn't the most exciting in terms of amenities, but once you go a few blocks west or north it's not too bad actually. Look in the West Loop. Once you're west of the expressway it gets a bit more residential. It's also not bad north of Randolph east of the expressway.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM

93 posts, read 443,863 times
Not a regular poster in the 'burbs area, but as a city of Chicago resident who did this drive for one year, I would highly recommend against it. The situation was worse back then (2007) because people were still employed (more on the roads) and I-290/I-88 were under major construction. In climate weather the average time was 1.25hr and in the winter up to 2.5hr each way. I think its gone down with the recession and lack of construction, but regardless, its not fun. Also, consider that at ~72miles roundtrip, and $4 gas, you could be spending up to $100 every 4-5 days to fill up depending on the fuel efficiency of your ride. Finally, even with the metra to bus option, don't expect much difference in time, since you need to wait for the bus. So with that said, I hear Oak Park is a very nice suburb and a good compromise.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM

43 posts, read 57,601 times
I need emphathetic posters like those here to help me on my thread.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rrenville.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs