Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,670 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Chicago, but I have been living in Oklahoma City, OK for the last 9 years. Now, we are looking to move back to IL. My husband has the option to transfer his job to either Addison or Bloomingdale, IL. Of the two locations, which is the best place to live (i.e. raise kids, great schools, low crime, reasonable housing costs, friendly people)? I have a 13 year old so I would like a community where she can be active in various activities and sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Working in Addison is a little more centrally located, so the options for commuting might be a little better. Addison has a few nice spots, but is generally one of the less desirable towns in DuPage Co., economically / educationally / socially it intends toward working class folks with a heavy mix of first generation Hispanics.

Bloomingdale is among the most car centric of DuPage towns -- lack of train service and development patterns centered around regional shopping center, strip malls and curvy street subdivisions all contribute to the stereotypical suburban area that is not in vogue with folks who prefer a more traditional grossed layout as can be found in many other towns in DuPage...

If work was in Bloomingdale and you wanted a more traditional type town Wheaton would be high on the list of desirable places. Work in Addision would be closer to Elmhurst, a very well developed town with a nice mix of traditional grid layout, impressive parks, museums, library all very conveniently located near it's impressively redeveloped downtown. Both Elmhurst and Wheaton have quite a bit in common -- colleges bearing their name in core, cute housing stock heavy on traditoonal styles, walkable shopping disticts, rail service on UP west line, even some high rise condo / apartments. Really defy the traditional "bland suburb" stereo type...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 14,670 times
Thank you very much Chet! I will definitely look into the additional locations that you mentioned to see which one will work best for us. I really appreciate your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs