Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM

20 posts, read 102,982 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this area for a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Probably the most "car centric" part of DuPage Co.
Schools are not as well respected as in the more traditional areas.
Real estate prices have similarly been weaker (though not as whipsawed as more boom areas...).
Safety is mostly fine but there are some mostly wannabe gang types...
Commutes can be brutal.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 AM

759 posts, read 3,148,926 times
My cousin lives there and has 4 children, but all of them went to catholic grade schools and St. Viator (which is now closed). There are better cities in the area with better schools. Why Glendale Heights?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,350,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanboingy View Post
Can anyone tell me about this area for a family?
It depends on what type of family you have.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
My cousin lives there and has 4 children, but all of them went to catholic grade schools and St. Viator (which is now closed). There are better cities in the area with better schools. Why Glendale Heights?
It would be an awful long drive to St. Viator High School which has always been in Arlington Heights (and is very much NOT closed), I wonder if purple sky's kin did not attend Driscoll High School, which has closed...

Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM

759 posts, read 3,148,926 times
Thanks, Chet! It was Driscoll--for some reason I always get those two mixed up.

Anyway, with Driscoll closed, I can't think of any good private schools within a decent commute.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,229 times
I live in GH. If you are a complete sissy and scared of anyone not white than you should consider wheaton or glen ellyn. GH has the best authentic mexican,indian,vietnemese,itialian food in the western burbs all in one small shopping center (bloomingdale&brandon ave.). Shark city bar on thursdays is the most crowded bar in the area $1 BEERS if you need a night out. As far as schools go there not the best. St. Matthews private school is very nice. Try and live where your children would go to Glenbard West since GH kids go to 3 different high schools...however Glenbrd West is a Glen Ellyn school so GH kids are looked down upon.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 AM

26 posts, read 70,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Thanks, Chet! It was Driscoll--for some reason I always get those two mixed up.

Anyway, with Driscoll closed, I can't think of any good private schools within a decent commute.

MOntini ( lombard) and st. francis (wheaton) are pretty close schools near glendale heights. and there is also Benet Academy ( Lisle) witch is one of the top schools academically and athletically. Immaculate conception ( Elmhurst) and St. Joseph ( Westchester) are nearby too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs