Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the School You Think is Best out of These 5
Evanston Township High School 1 12.50%
New Trier High School 2 25.00%
Hinsdale Central High School 2 25.00%
Lincoln Park High School 2 25.00%
Lyons Township High School 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times

Advertisements

Dont suggest Raleigh-Durham for heavans sake!!!! I just returned and there were REAL LIVE PEOPLE OF COLOR which would make it (gasp) Diverse!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM

153 posts, read 209,766 times
Really i'm not classist or racist. My son just had a bad experience in the Evanston Public School System because they bused for integration. We don't mind living in a culturally diverse community. I have looked at Olympia Fields. I do not mind sharing a grocery store or shops with different kinds of people. Its just I am looking for a school district where there is less economic diversity. Please understand what I am trying to say.

The reason we decided against Olympia Fields was that it was too far from my new hospital in Aurora. I am getting on staff at Provena.

We might actually move to Durham! An area called Treyburn! Wow!
Treyburn

Bru67 My son is in Private School, sorry I forgot to mention that!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewifeev View Post
Are those condos I metioned in Butler?
I believe so but you would have to ask a realtor or call the school district to be sure.

Quote:
I have been comparing New Trier, Evanston, Hinsdale Central, and Lyons. I noticed that spending per pupil is lower at Hinsdale and Lyons than it is at Evanston and New Trier (Evanston being the highest.) Is this a concern? Also teachers don't have masters down there.
I don't use per pupil spending as a useful indicator. What matters more is how the money is spent. Many of the top districts in the state have low per pupil spending. I actually think high per pupil spending is a bad sign because it means the district isn't fiscally responsible. I'm not sure what you mean when you say teachers don't have masters degrees...78.9% of teachers in the Hinsdale high school district do and 80.9% of teachers at Lyons Township do, compared to 85.4% at New Trier and 86.4% at Evanston. That's only a slight difference and all of those numbers are much higher than the state average of 50.6%.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:54 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Really i'm not classist or racist. We might actually move to Durham! An area called Treyburn! Wow!
Treyburn
Wow! +1. Now this looks perfect for you. Perhaps the proverbial match made in heaven. Be sure to post and let us know what it's like once you've unpacked.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM

153 posts, read 209,766 times
If we could make this post more relavent to the topic of finding a nice school district and community it would be helpful.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Default Stay in the North Shore

Quote:
I prefer a town and high school where everyone comes from a similar economic backround, households with incomes around $500,000.
Its a little bit hard to take you seriously when you post stuff like this. If you're really looking for a town with a median income of at least 500K, you're probably out of luck and also a little bit out of touch with reality. Even exclusive Kenilworth, IL has a median income of only 213K. Winnetka is a little bit lower at 178K. Hinsdale's is even lower at 108K. Cary, NC reportedly has the highest median income in that state and its only 77K.

Maybe parts of the upper east side of Manhattan have median incomes of this level. Probably some of the smaller, exclusive suburbs in the Bay Area approach this level. Around Illinois, the closest you can get will be in the North Shore.

Seriously, the best bet for you is to move to Winnetka or thereabouts. Its nice up there. There'll be lots of people with high 6 figure and 7 figure incomes living around you, big houses, lots of nice amenities, including the lake and the snootiness that you claim to enjoy. Not too much riff-raff in those towns. If New Trier isn't adequate, I'm sure there are plenty of private schools available.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Frankfort rough??? - compared to WHAT. I have NEVER heard that. It seems really nice to me - my bro lives there.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:40 PM

39 posts, read 192,303 times
I don't know, something seems fishy with homewifeev. For someone who claims to be a surgeon and have grown up in a wealthy community, your grammar and spelling is quite poor. I'd think someone who has taken the hippocratic oath would be more tolerant of others. In your post on whether Cabrini Green should be torn down you stated the following: "Right to tear down. It is just poor people living there. This is America I'd hire them if they have intelligence. Let the gold coast people take back what they own!" Maybe you were joking? This from someone who is a doctor who will be working at Provena in Aurora is kind of scary. I hope you provide your patients with the respect they deserve. Regardless, good luck with your search.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Lol! I didn't see that Cabrini post. If she was serious, eeek I hope they have mandatory diversity and sensitivity training for doctors, or she's going to be a cosmetic surgeon or something where she's enhancing her north shore compadres and not treating the poor.

What seems odd to me is that supposedly money's no object and the child is already in private school due to a bad experience at a public school. But now she's shopping for a new home based on . . . the quality of public schools? Not impossible I guess but a tad strange, especially for one who doesn't want the child exposed to diversity. That's easy enough to fix with one of the many private schools around here. I'm no private school expert but I imagine you can get pretty exclusive if you have enough coinage.

Of course, not to imply anything but I've found that it's a general rule in life that those who are the loudest about money usually have none.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post

Of course, not to imply anything but I've found that it's a general rule in life that those who are the loudest about money usually have none.
How very true. And,it is possible to have money,,but still have no class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs