Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
tag tag started this thread

2 posts, read 9,191 times

Advertisements

We are finally ready to leave the city and buy a house in the suburbs. We have a 2yr old and hopefully another one soon. We have checked out some suburbs and our favorites seem to be Elmhurst and LaGrange. Here are our parameters.
- 4BR/3BA newer house with attached garage (preferably) around $800K
- walking distance to train
- fun, lively downtown area
- lots of town amenities
- good schools (both public and Catholic) - we haven't decided yet
- lots of young families and good community atmosphere
- under 30 minute Metra ride to city
- has to be a western suburb to have a short drive to my mom in Orland Park

Should we choose LaGrange or Elmhurst, or is there any other suburb we have overlooked? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
There is a big catholic community in Elmhurst - 2 big parishes, Immaculate conception and visitation. And a train if you have to go downtown. Although if you live in the northern part, you may get a little more airport noise.
Although Lagrange would be closer to get to orland park. You could just get on lagrange road going south.
Either is good. I don't know how taxes would compare to each other. That may be a factor.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Its an impossible question to answer.Please visit and see what "feels" like home to you.Nothing wrong with LaGrange,personal preference will decide for you.I grew up in Elmhurst and still have family there,and it is a wonderful 'burb.Worked in LaGrange as a nurse and it was nice,but I prefer Elmhurst for its "downtown",neighborhoods,parks,beautiful old homes,Schools,family functions ,College,easy commute to the city and wonderful library and hosptial(worked there too)

Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
I agree with nanannie; you should visit and see which you like better. La Grange also has beautiful old homes, great neighborhoods and parks, activities for families, and an easy commute to the city. La Grange is currently building a huge new library, and the public schools are slightly better than in Elmhurst. If I remember correctly, Elmhurst has an art museum across the street from the college, which would be something La Grange doesn't have. But La Grange is only ten minutes away from the Brookfield Zoo. I can't think of any other suburbs with a 30 minute or less Metra ride to the city that fit your criteria.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 13,675 times
Where did your family end up? Thoughts? We are considering both suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs