Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 PM

39 posts, read 156,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
So what?

Evanston is not Chicago.

Nobody born and/or raised in Chicago considers Evanston to be in Chicago.

You and people like you will get laughed at when talking to a native.
I've lived here for 26 years. You're the first to "laugh" at what I've heard many, many times. I must not be AS native as you ...

Quote:
Bye.
Quote:
No and No.
What are you, 5?! LOL! This is a forum!! She asked for opinions and I provided mine. Grow up!

jlynnb08 -- Good luck on your search! I think I'll stay out of this thread from now on! It's getting a little .... strong?! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieTA View Post
I've lived here for 26 years. You're the first to "laugh" at what I've heard many, many times. I must not be AS native as you ...

What are you, 5?! LOL! This is a forum!! She asked for opinions and I provided mine. Grow up!

jlynnb08 -- Good luck on your search! I think I'll stay out of this thread from now on! It's getting a little .... strong?! LOL!

I agree with the others. Nothing you wrote is true. Evanston is not part of Chicago, I don't know ANYONE EVER who believes otherwise. Also the Gold Coast has nothing to do with Evanston----The Gold Coast is a neighborhood appx between Chicago Ave, LSD, Wells and North Ave.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 PM

12 posts, read 21,009 times
GreenieTA-that is fine I understand, thank you for your feedback you were very helpful, I appreciate the information!
Everyone has different views and opinions...its good to hear everything I suppose
I personally just cant wait to get back up north, either way, no matter where it might be, pretty exciting time for me.

Does anyone have suggestions on searching for rentals? I have been using Craigslist but thats hit or miss...also your basic sites like rentals.com, zip code searching, etc etc....didnt know if there was a big site that I might be missing. We are visiting in June, about 7 weeks before we move so we will get an opportunity to visit some places and neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Default Yes, I am the Karnac of CD-Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieTA View Post
LOL. You clearly know everything ...

FYI - I work with a large corporation that has locations all over the country ... about 50 in the Chicagoland area. Many people call my location (in the NW burbs) and say "that location in the city" or "the Chicago one" and are, in fact, refering to our Evanston location.
Yes, as a matter of fact I do know "everything" about this topic. I have lived in the area for 45 years, 7 in Evanston and 15 in Skokie. Once in a great while I would meet someone who would say Evanston or Skokie is Chicago. They knew they were independent suburbs, what they meant is that they seemed very similar to living in Chicago. This was usually expressed by someone who spent all of their life in a far out suburb and never lived in Evanston or Chicago and therefore couldn't accurately know the differences.
Oh, and by the way, Evanston is NOT a NW burb

Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
I would look at St. Charles/Geneva area. Theyre charming towns, with everything to do that you can think of, and are extremely safe. Throw in the riverfront, great schools, nice scenery, lots of outdoor areas to enjoy, etc. You should be able to find places to rent within your budget, too.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 16,929 times
Naperville is not half farms. It's all suburb.

You may regret having to drive into Chicago though. I grew up on long island and my husband went to school outside L.A. And we both agree that the traffic here is worse.

Naperville has a busy downtown but it's not as cute or as quaint as it used to be. But it's hopping on Friday and Saturday nights once the temperature at night gets into the 40s.

Just realize that Naperville is 10+ miles long. I live on the north east corner, 5 minutes from the train, downtown, I88. But life is different south of 75th street. And again south of 95th. South Naperville is all sparkly and new as it mostly didn't exist when I moved here 13 years ago.

You might consider going farther west as those communities are up and coming since Naperville and aurora are getting maxed out.

I'm moving to new jersey in June and I'm not happy about it.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I live in Schaumburg, and there are nice parts of it (nice town square with an amazing library), but therge is no real walkable downtown.

The park district is great, and they offer a lot of classes for any interests, as well as a nice gym with personal tvs on every treadmill. It's also relatively cheap (about 180 a year for a membership). The website is parkfun.com.

Woodfield is one of the best malls around here as well.

Arlington Heights is another town I would look into. Great walkable downtown, great theater (Metropolis) with plays, musicals, and comedy shows.

I went to UIC in the 90s, and knew a girl who took the train in 3x a week from Aurora (far out western burb), and it took her about 90 minutes.

As far as looking for rentals, I would also go to realtor.com. There are a lot of people who are renting there houses and townhouses, and it might be nicer for your dogs than an apartment.

You might also want to call a realtor who does rentals in the whole area. You don't want to do a private rental between you and some homeowner, and find that the homeowner is in foreclosure later on down the road and he's been pocketing the rent you give him, and you'll be evicted by the bank. I've heard of this happening.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I would look at St. Charles/Geneva area. Theyre charming towns, with everything to do that you can think of, and are extremely safe. Throw in the riverfront, great schools, nice scenery, lots of outdoor areas to enjoy, etc. You should be able to find places to rent within your budget, too.
Im actually leaning towards this area. It seems to be about what we are looking for. Thank you for giving me a bit more insight to what the area will be like! Sounds very nice

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I live in Schaumburg, and there are nice parts of it (nice town square with an amazing library), but therge is no real walkable downtown.

The park district is great, and they offer a lot of classes for any interests, as well as a nice gym with personal tvs on every treadmill. It's also relatively cheap (about 180 a year for a membership). The website is parkfun.com.

Woodfield is one of the best malls around here as well.

Arlington Heights is another town I would look into. Great walkable downtown, great theater (Metropolis) with plays, musicals, and comedy shows.

I went to UIC in the 90s, and knew a girl who took the train in 3x a week from Aurora (far out western burb), and it took her about 90 minutes.

As far as looking for rentals, I would also go to realtor.com. There are a lot of people who are renting there houses and townhouses, and it might be nicer for your dogs than an apartment.

You might also want to call a realtor who does rentals in the whole area. You don't want to do a private rental between you and some homeowner, and find that the homeowner is in foreclosure later on down the road and he's been pocketing the rent you give him, and you'll be evicted by the bank. I've heard of this happening.
I am glad you brought this up. I would have never really thought about that aspect of renting from a homeowner. I have since found some great listings within Remax and Century 21...which is what I did with the current townhome I am in. Guess its better to just stick with that! Thanks for the website as well! I will check it out!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Update

Just found out from my UIC advisor that I will never have to go on campus because the remainder of my program is completely online so that's great news for me. No longer have to worry about getting to campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs