Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM

121 posts, read 319,013 times

Advertisements

My family of five is making the move to Chicago in April. Both my husband and I are from Chicago, but we're from the city, so we're not too familiar with the best suburbs for families. I am going to be working in the loop, and my husband will be working at O'Hare. We've got three kids that haven't started elementary school yet (ages 5, 3, and 1). We've also got three dogs.

We do have some requirements:
-Excellent schools
-Sports, dance, art, music, etc. programs in abundance for the kids
-Close to O'Hare as well as on a Metra line. The commute on the Metra to Chicago needs to be around an hour or less.
-Able to get a nice house (4+ BR, 3+ Baths) with a large yard for around 900k.
-An extremely safe area

I'm pretty sure that's everything. Thanks!

Last edited by On Air; 01-21-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 PM

25 posts, read 36,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Air View Post
My family of five is making the move to Chicago in April. Both my husband and I are from Chicago, but we're from the city, so we're not too familiar with the best suburbs for families. I am going to be working in the loop, and my husband will be working at O'Hare. We've got three kids that haven't started elementary school yet (ages 5, 3, and 1). We've also got three dogs.

We do have some requirements:
-Excellent schools
-Sports, dance, art, music, etc. programs in abundance for the kids
-Close to O'Hare as well as on a Metra line. The commute on the Metra to Chicago needs to be around an hour or less.
-Able to get a nice house (4+ BR, 3+ Baths) with a large yard for around 900k.
-An extremely safe area

I'm pretty sure that's everything. Thanks!
What is your price range? I would look into the suburbs along either I-290 or I-90. You might even want to move south. In that case, you will be on I-57 or I-94. For schools, try Hazel Crest, Dolton, Lansing, and Sauk Village. All the above communites have good schools and are very safe.

Avoid Matteson, Country Club Hills, Glenwood, Lynwood, Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields, and the communites WEST of I-57. Those towns have very low income and are declining with changing dermographics. You also might want to cross NW Indiana off your list. Horrible schools, discount shopping, and high pollution due to the old factories in Gary/Hammond/E.Chicago.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
What is your price range? I would look into the suburbs along either I-290 or I-90. You might even want to move south. In that case, you will be on I-57 or I-94. For schools, try Hazel Crest, Dolton, Lansing, and Sauk Village. All the above communites have good schools and are very safe.
Our price range right now is about $900k. And we will check those out. Thanks!

Quote:
Avoid Matteson, Country Club Hills, Glenwood, Lynwood, Homewood, Flossmore, Olympia Fields, and the communites WEST of I-57. Those towns have very low income and are declining with changing dermographics. You also might want to cross NW Indiana off your list. Horrible schools, discount shopping, and high pollution due to the old factories in Gary/Hammond/E.Chicago.
I don't think anything south of Chicago is an option anyways because of where our jobs are. It would just be too far of a commute for my husband.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Our price range right now is about $900k. And we will check those out. Thanks!

I don't think anything south of Chicago is an option anyways because of where our jobs are. It would just be too far of a commute for my husband.
You might like Hinsdale of Western Springs. Take I-294 to O'hare and I-55 or the metra to the loop.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
You might like Hinsdale of Western Springs. Take I-294 to O'hare and I-55 or the metra to the loop.
I've heard that's pretty expensive though, isn't it?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I've heard that's pretty expensive though, isn't it?
Well somewhat yes. The further south/east you go along I-294, the cheaper the area is. You would like Hazel Crest and maybe Markham. (Around Dixie Hwy and I-294)

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Well somewhat yes. The further south/east you go along I-294, the cheaper the area is. You would like Hazel Crest and maybe Markham. (Around Dixie Hwy and I-294)
Alright, we'll look into the three areas. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM

After looking into these areas, they're just too far south for us. We'd prefer to be on the North/Northwest side because of our job locations and family's location.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,350,272 times
Look into a place like Niles,Park Ridge or Morton Grove.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,520,376 times
Default I must caution all users of the City-Data forums to avoid putting too much faith in strangers....

When a poster chooses an odd screen name that might be a warning that their advice is not too terribly useful.

With a budget of $900k you could probably buy entire blocks listed in one of the above posts. I doubt any sane person would barely rate the schools tolerable, certainly not "excellent".

For a dual income couple, one heading towards the Loop and the other toward O'Hare the most desirable town in your price range would almost certainly be Park Ridge, though parts of Elmhurst would also ne excellent.

Western Springs is another excellent option, as would be Hinsdale and the neighboring town of Clarendon Hills, the most desirable portions of which share it's top rated D181 and D86 schools.

(note : the moderators have already been alerted to the likelihood of misinformation being used by the sort of mythical creatures that live under bridges...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs