Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM

29 posts, read 220,957 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are disagreeing on which school to send our children in the fox valley, I'm hoping some locals could give me their opinion.

My wife really wants to send the kids to Aurora Christian. Her reasoning is that publics schools are horrible. (the media tends to reinforce this, plus she went to school in Tucson, which has horrible schools). She is also concerned about out of control kids, sex, drugs, all that jazz.

My background and perspective is different. I went to a great high school on the south side that to this day is better than many private schools. I also read how the fact that property taxes flow easily to schools in high income areas, makes for some very nice public schools. Our public school options would be either St Charles west, or Geneva high (depending on which house we select).

One more thing that might matter. Our kids have been homeschooled up until now, so this will be a big change for them regardless of which school is picked.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM

48 posts, read 137,833 times
What area of the Fox Valley are you referring to? The Fox Valley is a big area

Aurora (stay on the Naperville School district 204 side or Oswego 308)
Oswego: The schools are fine
St. Charles and Geneva have pretty good public schools, that area is pretty nice.

I think how parents reinforce education is critical for the child, it is not the public school per say that is bad

Kids are out of control no matter private or public ( I went to both seen it both school settings ) Parents have to keep better tabs on their kids so their kids could avoid those negative things...

Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM

223 posts, read 758,695 times
I was curious about this as well. Supposedly both Geneva and St Charles have very good schools, but when I look at "U.S News High School Rankings" only St Charles North High School is ranked (Silver award). Geneva High School is nowhere to be seen, not even "Honorable mention".

The only other ranked school in Kane County by U.S. News is Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy in Aurora:

America's Best High Schools 2010 - US News Education

Edit: Even more interesting The Sun-times rank for St Charles North is 27 among 656 ranked high schools. Geneva High? ranked 26!!

http://labs.suntimes.com/reportcards...10453040260001
http://labs.suntimes.com/reportcards...10453030260012

Last edited by vandre; 01-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurama93 View Post
What area of the Fox Valley are you referring to? The Fox Valley is a big area.
Sorry, guess i am referring to the St Charles - Geneva - North Aurora areas. Just need arguements one way or the other. The school in North Aurora costs around $7k/year per kid (2 kids).

Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM

306 posts, read 481,312 times
Geneva, St. Charles, Batavia schools are all above average. Don't let people tell you any different. Many only quote the handful that are ahead (i.e. Naperville, Hinsdale, North Shore), while there are hundreds upon hundreds below.
I would only do private if in Aurora or Elgin. Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,371,339 times
Why are you discontinuing home school? Isn't it working out?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Why are you discontinuing home school? Isn't it working out?
Burned out. Big time.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Btw, I accidentally wrote St Charles west, I mean St Charles North.

It would be great if someone who has had kids attend any of these schools could give me an opinion on the subject. Who knows, maybe someone on here has moved their kids from the private one to the public one, or vice versa. I know, longshot.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
Default Private vs public is always a difficult question...

Academic performance data is pretty hard to come by for private schools.

About the best one can do is extrapolate the information about AP Scholars awards (which go to individual students based upon their successful completion of AP exams) as percentage of enrolled students. Based on this number one of the best performing private schools in the Fox Valley is Marmion Academy, where about a third of boys receive such designation -- and extraordinary percentage.

I believe a similar ratio may be why St. Charles North is a US News silver -- about 10% of the kids there earned the designation.

Of course the admissions standards of a private school that uses tests would lead one to expect high performance, so the real issue is not just academics but the overall environment and I think it is fair bet that single sex high schools like Rosary and Marmion are not going to have kids ending up on MTV shows...

AC might an option for you, but they have a different philosophy that might best described as similar to that of Wheaton College or others where a bible centric tradition is primary.

Last edited by chet everett; 01-21-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,371,339 times
My children have attended St. Charles D-303 schools from the very beginning. We have been very satisifed with them in general. Son is going into STCh East and from meeting with the teachers it looks like there a lot of good options for him there.

I would recommend any D-303 school. They do teach "everyday math" curriculum so I don't know if that would be to much of a change for them. I do know this is controversial program for academics. But my kids are doing pretty well in math and they are doing better in math that I did at that same age, so I am not knocking it.

Although after homeschooling, a transition to a smaller parochial school may be much easier. You cannot go wrong with Marmion or any other catholic school out here for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs