Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I have no idea what you are getting at here. Do you?
Tonythetuna, bottom line. White students at carl sandberg in orland park made AYP at lower rates than white students attending Homewood-Flossmoor. White students at carl sandberg make up 84 percent of the student body (most of the school).

Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Tonythetuna, bottom line. White students at carl sandberg in orland park made AYP at lower rates than white students attending Homewood-Flossmoor. White students at carl sandberg make up 84 percent of the student body (most of the school).
No. Bottom line is overall more students made AYP at Sandburg than at H-F.

Sandburg: Math 69.7 Reading 69.0

H-F: Math 62.7 Reading 66.6

Illinois Interactive Report Card

Illinois Interactive Report Card

I still have no idea what you are getting at. I said Sandburg is a better school by these testing measures and you are trying to tell me it is not.
Why you are bringing into the argument some weird racial angle to "compare the test scores fairly" is beyond me.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
"And if they're sending their kids to U of C Lab - their actions about the negatives of their own neighborhood speaks volumes."

Not really. It says either 1. they don't like the public school in their neighborhood or 2. they really like the lab school (in particular in light of tuition benefit for the two people that I know who work at U of C)

Neither speaks volumes. Plenty of nice neighborhoods have schools that aren't so good, and plenty of people prefer Lab to even some of the top public schools.

I think what speaks louder is that they chose to move there when they had many other options.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
"And if they're sending their kids to U of C Lab - their actions about the negatives of their own neighborhood speaks volumes."

Not really. It says either 1. they don't like the public school in their neighborhood or 2. they really like the lab school (in particular in light of tuition benefit for the two people that I know who work at U of C)

Neither speaks volumes. Plenty of nice neighborhoods have schools that aren't so good, and plenty of people prefer Lab to even some of the top public schools.
That first quote from me was my response to when you said:

Quote:
They seem to enjoy living there, haven't mentioned anything negative
Obviously, the school in their neighborhood IS a negative or their kids would be going there.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
That first quote from me was a response when you said:

Obviously, the school in their neighborhood IS a negative or their kids would be going there.
I disagree with you. When you work at the U of C it is very convenient to have your kids at school next to you. It is also an unbelievably good school k-12 and a very good deal with the tuition benefit. H-F might suck as a school or it might not (I really don't have any idea), but this doesn't provide a ton of evidence either way.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I disagree with you. When you work at the U of C it is very convenient to have your kids at school next to you. It is also an unbelievably good school k-12 and a very good deal with the tuition benefit. H-F might suck as a school or it might not (I really don't have any idea), but this doesn't provide a ton of evidence either way.
You are seriously over thinking this.

You said your friends didn't mention any negatives about the area. And yet, their kids don't go to HF schools.

Obviously, HF schools are a negative to them if they're not sending their kids there.

Pretty black & white, if you ask me.

(Yeah, I'm punny.)

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
still waiting for an answer allen2323...or ablum..or woodmoore38...whichever alias you decide to respond with...I'm all ears!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:

You said your friends didn't mention any negatives about the area. And yet, their kids don't go to HF schools.

Obviously, HF schools are a negative to them if they're not sending their kids there.

(Yeah, I'm punny.)

The main reason why affluent parents send there kids to private schools is the social stature that comes from it. Also, being able to socialize with other affluent parents at school events. Having your children around other affluent children. It's the same reason why affluent people join country clubs or any other private institution.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The main reason why affluent parents send there kids to private schools is the social stature that comes from it. Also, being able to socialize with other affluent parents at school events. Having your children around other affluent children. It's the same reason why affluent people join country clubs or any other private institution.

The main reason why parents in the HF schools district send their kids to private schools is because the schools are failing.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:25 PM

whatever. They didn't mention that the school was a negative and I wouldn't automatically assume they thought it was just because they didn't send their kids there. I explained why I wouldn't make this assumption but we're obviously not connecting so it's not worth pursuing.

I have thought heard many other people say that the school is getting much worse.

Bottom line is that I think you don't give nearly enough credit to some of the really nice things about Flossmoor and seem a little quick in giving it a death sentence. I don't deny you your perspective but I'm trying to give readers a sense that this is one person's view -- not that you are the only one who feels this way, but that a lot of others don't see it that way, so it's definitely worth a look if you're giving it some thought. Beverly does relatively well in spite of MPHS. Same with Hyde park and Kenwood. Flossmoor is nice enough that it might do ok with even a sucky public school.

Quote:

(Yeah, I'm punny.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs