Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 23,130 times

Advertisements

I just posted a thread on commuting from these suburbs but thought I should post my school/family questions separately. I'm planning to move to a northern Chicago suburb and am considering Deerfield, Northbrook, Lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove, both for commuting reasons and because I've read good things about Stevenson, Deerfield and Glenbrook North High Schools.

Of course, there seem to be many good school choices in this general area. But can anyone give me advice regarding differences between the middle schools and high schools in these suburbs? I'm looking for schools that are good academically but also welcoming to newcomers and friendly, socially. Anything you can tell me about schools in these areas would be appreciated.

Also, why do the taxes vary so much? There seem to be big differences not just between Lake and Cook Counties but also between suburbs in Lake County. Do you get what you pay for when living in, say, Buffalo Grove (which seemed to have the highest taxes of the areas I compared)?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
I'm not really sure what you mean by the differences between the middle and high schools, but the three high schools you've picked have very high test scores and so do the middle schools that feed to them (the only exception is a few of the middle schools that feed to Stevenson, but those are in the Mundelein/Vernon Hills area, probably not where you're looking).

The taxes vary because there are different taxing bodies in each place. Also, Buffalo Grove doesn't have as much commercial tax base as the other towns do, so that's probably one reason why their residential taxes are higher. They do have tons of activities for families, but I think Deerfield and Northbrook do too. Here are some links to give you an idea of what the different towns offer for families:
Buffalo Grove Park District
BGRA Baseball
Schwaben Soccer
Deerfield Park District
Deerfield Youth Baseball
Deerfield Library Home Page
Northbrook Park District
Northbrook Library
Lincolnshire Parks and Recreation (http://www.village.lincolnshire.il.us/services/parks/index.php - broken link)
Lincolnshire Swim Club
Vernon Area Public Library

Last edited by ahava; 07-12-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 23,130 times
Thanks for the feedback, Kirstenleigh. I guess I'm not clear about the differences between schools because I'm not sure what to ask - just wondering if there's something else I should consider. What you said about Buffalo Grove taxes makes sense.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
They should all be strong high school districts (academically) as most of the North Shore high school districts tend to be. If anything, they may vary a little bit demographically (more racially and less socioeconomically), but, they're all strong. Stevenson HS (which Buffalo Grove & Lincolnshire fall under), is a gigantic high school which brings in students from many different towns in a huge district. Stevenson and New Trier High School down in Winnetka constantly duke it out for being the top public school in the state of Illinois and in the Chicagoland area. Glenbrook North & Deerfield HS will be smaller than Stevenson, but I'm sure will still be quite strong. All these districts will have strong representations from the Jewish populations, Asian populations (I think Koreans, and also Chinese), probably some Eastern European representation at Stevenson & Deerfield (Russian especially), some WASP's (although surprisingly they may not seem like the majority like they would up in Lake Forest or in Libertyville).....and then your other groups as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommutingToLoop View Post
I just posted a thread on commuting from these suburbs but thought I should post my school/family questions separately. I'm planning to move to a northern Chicago suburb and am considering Deerfield, Northbrook, Lincolnshire or Buffalo Grove, both for commuting reasons and because I've read good things about Stevenson, Deerfield and Glenbrook North High Schools.

Of course, there seem to be many good school choices in this general area. But can anyone give me advice regarding differences between the middle schools and high schools in these suburbs? I'm looking for schools that are good academically but also welcoming to newcomers and friendly, socially. Anything you can tell me about schools in these areas would be appreciated.

Also, why do the taxes vary so much? There seem to be big differences not just between Lake and Cook Counties but also between suburbs in Lake County. Do you get what you pay for when living in, say, Buffalo Grove (which seemed to have the highest taxes of the areas I compared)?

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Stevenson and New Trier High School down in Winnetka constantly duke it out for being the top public school in the state of Illinois and in the Chicagoland area. Glenbrook North & Deerfield HS will be smaller than Stevenson, but I'm sure will still be quite strong. All these districts will have strong representations from the Jewish populations, Asian populations (I think Koreans, and also Chinese), probably some Eastern European representation at Stevenson & Deerfield (Russian especially), some WASP's (although surprisingly they may not seem like the majority like they would up in Lake Forest or in Libertyville).....and then your other groups as well.
These are accurate observations, I just want to make a few comments. Statistically, Deerfield is right up there with Stevenson and New Trier, but is less vocal about it. Stevenson and Glenbrook South are the schools with high Russian populations - they're basically priced out of Deerfield and Northbrook (unincorporated Deerfield being the obvious exception - it's in Stevenson's district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs