Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 AM

2,944 posts, read 5,185,254 times

Advertisements

Seems that the Bulls are selling out every game (21,000+) so far thisyoung season unlike early season games in recent years? The Blackhawks, Stanley Cup champs, also are drawing similar crowds of 20,000-21,000 (a bit smaller capacity than basketball games, of course).

I saw on the net that a pre-season Bulls game on WGN Ch. 9 drew the largest pre-season rating in many years, so interest seems very high. The Blackhawks' local tv ratings have jumped big-time in this early part of the season, so interest seems strong despite losing many players during the off-seaason due to salary cap issues/poor record this year.

Overall, do both teams seem to compete with each other for attention nowadays, versus just 2-3 years ago when the Blackhawks were irrwlevant?

Are tix hard to get for both teams, or do they just sell out the day of the game due to walkup sales? Can tix be bought from scalpers for less than face value for most games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
The Hawks' current "fans" are nothing but bandwagon jumpers. Im hopin the Hawks blow chunks for a few years so all these bandwagoning freaks will go the heck away and I can get tickets to the games again. The Bulls' fanbase always seemed strong to me, unlike the Hawks.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times
Splurged and bought tix for my bday (Stub Hub)-saw the Hawks get smashed by the Devils. It was disheartening. Hub got freebie from work-going on Sunday. I miss the rhythm they had last year and even year before.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:30 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Bulls and Hawks fans mostly have different bases. Bulls will rule the Chicago area again only if an 24-year-old MJ clone can be found.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
The Bulls fans are more loyal. Like the poster above mentioned, unfortunately, most of these current Blackhawks fans are bandwagoners and didn't even watch the team 3-4 years ago. It's kind of funny to see these wannabe Blackhawks fans spend so much money on the season tickets this year, only to see a Blackhawks team that is not nearly as good as last year's team. All this being said, I would recommend someone to go to a Blackhawks game before a Bulls game, they're just more fun and the fans are rowdy.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
I would say that hasn't happened yet(Bulls being more popular than Blackhawks), at least not in my set of friends. I guess I was too spoiled in my childhood with the 6 titles the Bulls won, back when MJ, Pippen, Phil, etc. were still around. So much, that about 6 months ago, I bought the 92-93 'Three-Peat' VHS video for cheap, when I saw it at a Village thrift store.

It'll take probably at least an Eastern Conference finals appearance for me to start paying attention again, sorry to say. More power to those who have more faith in the Bulls than I do, I can't help but not have much faith in them, because of various mistakes I've witnessed them do in the post MJ years(i.e. hire Tim Floyd, fire Scott Skiles, trade away Elton Brand, the list of their mistakes that greatly annoyed me can go on and on).

Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Hawks' current "fans" are nothing but bandwagon jumpers. Im hopin the Hawks blow chunks for a few years so all these bandwagoning freaks will go the heck away and I can get tickets to the games again. The Bulls' fanbase always seemed strong to me, unlike the Hawks.
Hows that broad brush working out for you?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM

74 posts, read 233,064 times
The Bulls are the second most popular team in Chicago behind the Bears. But back in the 90's, the Bulls ran Chicago. They dont run it anymore, the Bears do.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times
Bandwagon fans are okay in my book. They may make it harder to see a game, but they also came out in droves to support the team and gave them a king's welcome back to the city when they won the Cup. It all contributed to the spirit that made them winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs