Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Not in any particular order ...

Phoenix
Ford Heights
Harvey
Calumet City
Riverdale
Maywood

That pretty much covers it.
Although maybe not classiffied as actual suburbs but many would consider these places to be in the chicagoland area. I would have to vote Rockford, Gary, Hammond indiana, and East Chicago indiana as the worst places by far, do to there large sizes and overall crappiness. Runners up would be Ford Heights and Robbins, because they both have small populations. Ford heights less than 3,500 residents and Robbins less than 6,500 residents. The other towns that you listed don't even compare to the crappy places that I mentioned.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 375,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Although maybe not classiffied as actual suburbs but many would consider these places to be in the chicagoland area. I would have to vote Rockford, Gary, Hammond indiana, and East Chicago indiana as the worst places by far do to there large sizes and overall crappiness. Runners up would be Ford Heights and Robbins, because they both have small populations. Ford heights less than 3,500 residents and Robbins less than 6,500 residents. The other towns listed don't even compare to the crappy places that I mentioned.
I would agree for poor towns. Ford Heights is the worse for the poorest suburb. Oak Forest would be the worst for the middle income (or at least down there).

Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Although maybe not classiffied as actual suburbs but many would consider these places to be in the chicagoland area. I would have to vote Rockford, Gary, Hammond indiana, and East Chicago indiana as the worst places by far, do to there large sizes and overall crappiness. Runners up would be Ford Heights and Robbins, because they both have small populations. Ford heights less than 3,500 residents and Robbins less than 6,500 residents. The other towns that you listed don't even compare to the crappy places that I mentioned.
Well, Rockford has at least 3 Starbucks and Gary has Indiana University & Hammond has Purdue, so I don't think any of those can be on the list.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Does Phoenix have a shopping mall or a Starbucks? Nope.

North Chicago is prabobly worse than Calumet City. But then again, all I know about North Chicago is what I've read online.
Ive been to both a couple of times. IMO N. Chicago was a little worse.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
NW indiana is usually considered the suburbs but not rockford...

Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
I would be less afraid to walk the late night streets of Hammond than Harvey. Some parts of Hammond are pretty clean, believe it or not.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Well, Rockford has at least 3 Starbucks and Gary has Indiana University & Hammond has Purdue, so I don't think any of those can be on the list.
That doesn't mean anything. The public high schools in all of the areas that I mentioned have graduation rates around or below 50 percent. Gary consistantly has more than 50 murders per year and is by far the poorest large area outside of chicago with a median household income of $25,458 . Gary also has a 37.5% poverty rate. East chicago and hammond are one step up from gary. Rockford is the best of the crappy large areas that I named but is still a crappy place. It is a large town with over 150,000 residents, so yes there are some businesses in rockford and it has a middle class part of town. But, it is overall a very crappy large area.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Here's an older 27-page thread with an original post dated July 2008.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...eputation.html

Lots of people seem to think the north and west suburbs can get pretty bad too. Outside of Maywood and North Chicago, I mean.

Last edited by urza216; 11-07-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Phoenix is less populated than the high school I went to.lol Phoenix will never have a shopping mall because its too damn small for one thing. North Chicago is probably the worst in Lake County, but that is not saying a whole lot b/c Lake is well off to begin with. Its either 1st or 2nd in terms of wealth among Illinois counties. The southern half of Lake are a cluster or upper middle to upper class suburbs such as Lake Forest, Highland Park, Lake Bluff, and Deerfield. North Chicago crime index is actually below national average. I never been there either, but it doesn't seem that bad on paper.

Harvey is among the most gritty of them and I notice a lot of homeless and change peddlers here. I seen even kids subjected to change peddling. No other suburb or area code where I been hit up for a quarter or dollar on the daily. Harvey reached a high 22% unemployment rate a couple of years ago. Its getting better little by little, though that triple murder 2 weeks ago dampered progress. It was worse some years ago that certain blocks were under 24/7 surveillance and house raids due to a heavy amount of drug activity, gangs, and shootings. Prostitutes were more out about and Cornett Village(Harvey's now mostly vacant housing projects) was really bad.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-07-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylicky View Post
Has anyone mentioned Dolton? That place is craptastic.
Its amazing how fast that one went down. Thirty years ago Dolton was pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs