Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,332 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Long time member of the forums - great info on this site. This is my first post and need some guidance.

My wife and I found a home we would like to purchase. The sub division is called the tri-state village and is located just south of I-55 off the Kingery South exit.

Would anyone know anything about this area? So far, the pluses are the school district (which is what my wife wants), and the taxes are generally lower becuase the property is technically located in unincorporated, Hinsdale (although the address of the area is in Willowbrook).

The subdivision appears to be avg (nothing special). We plan on living there for about 10-15 years. One of my goals is to break even on the property when I sell, although a profit always helps

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,566,667 times
Default Schools are pretty good, but 10-15 year horizon makes this tough...

My cosins kids grew up there. Two are fire fighter the third is in financial services. Hinsdale south is, deepening on how you look at things, either much more diverse than HC or a step down in competitiveness. Did not AYP...

Houses in that area might need some updating, and if your home is not of a layout that would have long term appeal that might be an issue. Some folks really do not like split levels, while others thing they are great, just as example.

If the price is right you might be surprised how close you are to Burr Ridge and such, but commute wise some folks prefer newer nomes in homer Glen which is not that much further so be sure you compare across a WIDE geographic area...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
My cosins kids grew up there. Two are fire fighter the third is in financial services. Hinsdale south is, deepening on how you look at things, either much more diverse than HC or a step down in competitiveness. Did not AYP...

Houses in that area might need some updating, and if your home is not of a layout that would have long term appeal that might be an issue. Some folks really do not like split levels, while others thing they are great, just as example.

If the price is right you might be surprised how close you are to Burr Ridge and such, but commute wise some folks prefer newer nomes in homer Glen which is not that much further so be sure you compare across a WIDE geographic area...
Hi Chet,

Thanks for responding - How did your cousins like growing up there? Would you happen to know how this area is in terms of crime? From the limited resources I have access to, it seems like crime in minimal.

We're most likely going to purchase something that we can update - probably a home with the traditional style that will hopefully have long term appeal is the goal

The price of the homes in the area is attractive compared to the nearby areas like Burr Ridge, etc. Homer Glen is nice, but a little too far from friends and family.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,566,667 times
Default They did all the normal kid stuff, just like my kids did a few miles further north...

Growing up in the Hinsdale South portion of District 86 involved more subdivisions and less gridded streets compare to HC, and the avg home price / household is a bit lower, but other than that lots of similarities.

Plenty of jocks, nice mix of parents of varied professions, some first generation immigrant families. The transition from basically three middle schools feeding into HC vs about double that number feeding into HS might have made for some socialization scenarios that meant my cousins knew less about the other kids parents than I did, but that is big generalization...

Your money goes farther and most of convenience issues are very very similar.

Biggest difference is the number of folks that do not take the train and therefore have a bit les comfort heading into downtown Chicago, which is a mixed blessing. Kids manage to find plenty of ways to get into trouble right in their own backyard

Last edited by chet everett; 10-21-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs