Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:46 PM

132 posts, read 445,457 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter and I are looking to relocate from the San Francisco area. One of the places we are looking into is the Chicago area. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Chicago. I was wondering if you could share what you love about the area and what are some things that you don't care for. Also, are the people fairly friendly and what are the schools like? Lastly, how is the job market - my husband is a software enginner at a biotech company? The only thing that draws me away from Chicago is the weather. I know it stays COLD for a long time. We know nothing about the area so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 03:48 PM

96 posts, read 647,851 times
A smaller version of NY

Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 PM

94 posts, read 467,271 times
I smaller version of ny is way off. San Fran outside of New York, is the most dense city in the country. SF really does have a mini manhattan feel to it, thats one of the things that definatly sticks in my head about that interesting town.

But to answer the question, what do I love about the chicago suburbs, affordable housing.. unlike where you come from in SF a half million dollar house will actually get you a nice house, in a nice suburb, with relativly safe decent schools. In SF Bay a half million dollars gets you a bullet ridden house in oakland!

Unlike california, our state is not in the bottom 10 for public schools, and unlike california you dont have to be rich or upper middle class in order for your kids to attend a decent public school that sends a large portion of its students off to colleges around the country.

The people may not be as Politcally Correct as in SF, but we are not as in your face as people from Boston or New York. But Chicagoan's are known for speaking their minds.

As far as the job market, we are alot more diverse than the SF area. Infact Chicago has one of the most if not the most diverse job markets in the country. Now granted we do not have silicon valley..but we do have a biotech industry out here. How its faring, i could not tell you. I think we are following the nationwide trend which is lots of jobs being created in the service industry, mostly occupied by high school and college drop out kids and latinos...

As far as the weather, think of Lake Tahoe from Late November untill Early March. Yes its cold, and yes it snows, there is an occasional blizzard or two and usually one or two really bad cold fronts. If you ask me things seem to have been getting warmer over the past 10 years or so... just my opinion.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:08 PM

335 posts, read 1,437,070 times
even though sf has an overall lower density, to me downtown chicago basically looks like downtown sf, only there's a lot more of it in chicago. chicago's also geographically huge, with big chunks of the outlying areas consisting of bungalows. i'd wager that accounts for the density difference. i've only live in areas with mostly three-story walkups, which i find at least as dense as residential sf.

if you like cities, chicago is a great one. especially for the price.

please don't underestimate the winter weather here. seriously. i grew up in the southeast, so basically went from one extreme of being too hot much of the year to being too cold much of the year with much less sunlight. plenty of people do seem to adjust, but i'll tell you this much: you will find plenty of lifelong chicagoans that get depressed in the winter or otherwise gripe about it being a pain. to me, it's unreal the amount of time i have to spend indoors in an apartment because it's too cold to enjoyably be outside. it is for this reason i'll be taking the question mark off my username.

i've also never gotten used to midwestern culture. there's just something standoffish-yet-superficially-nice about it that i can't put my finger on, but i suspect the large european catholic heritage and demographic, and suprisingly low (relative to big coastal cities) extra-regional immigration, might have something to do with it. i just know that the friends i feel most comfortable with here aren't from the midwest.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:59 AM

335 posts, read 1,437,070 times
^ i meant sf has a higher density, not lower.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,371,339 times
Never been to frisco - but the thing I like best about the Chicagoland area is the food. You can get any food you like here. Great restaurants anywhere.
And a great theatre scene if you are into that.
Job market in chicago generally is reflected in how each industry is doing. I don't know how biotech is here, Abbott labs is a big employer here still I think.
Prices are very good around here - compared to NYC and anything in California. But still not really cheap, taxes are high, but again nothing like the coasts I am sure. You may also find it pretty segregated in the suburbs.
Gas prices are high - IL has the highest gas tax in the nation along with New york.
This winter was bad and long - but they are usually not that bad all the time - We get a lot of freezes and thaws all winter. But remember the "not too bad" comes from a lifelong chicagoland-er who has seen the -27F and the big snows of 1968, 1978 and 1979.
Most schools in the suburbs are pretty good. Although those are also best judged on an individual community basis as well since our state property taxes cover the bills on those.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 AM

196 posts, read 970,667 times
I agree food...diversity and usually friendlness.

The bad is the traffic...but compared to Calif. not even as bad as there.
All around to me other than a few snowfalls here and there, Chicago has SF licked by a mile.

If you don't like something, just drive in a different direction.
Within 5-15 minutes you have a new scene.
Lots of people in the chgo area NEVER move.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,466,761 times
PUt it this way, the ONLY things I dislike about the area are traffic, some crappy suburbs, and the humid spells in summer (but hey, just another reason to lounge by the pool), but those are relatively short lived.

The food is great, the shopping is world class, the schools are excellent (do some research to find the best ones), the suburbs are unique and all different, Chicago is a blast, we're centrally located in the USA, making trips pretty easy. Winters can be absolutely frigid, but like the humid spells in summer, theyre short lived. Expect anything from 20-50s in the winter, some days will only be in the single digits for highs and sub-zero at night, but those are really cool IMO, and have to be experienced. Buy some cross country skis or a snowmobile, go sledding, etc. take advantage of the winter. Nothing is cooler than hiking through a forest the morning after a heavy snowfall, its beyond magical.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 PM

76 posts, read 476,534 times
Well, If you find me to be friendly then you will enjoy the people! Job market is good. Schools are good or bad. Since Chicagoland soooooooo huge, not all parts are good and not all are bad. In general the Northern/Northwest/West subarbs have better schools compared to other areas. Weather can be cold, but right now its great! If have any more questions please feel free to leave me a message.
Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM

18 posts, read 62,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
I know it stays COLD for a long time.
That's relative to what you are used to. It is cold and low humidity during the winter. Take getting used to and a humidifier helps alot.

But the phrase that payys in Chicago is "don't like the weather? wait ten minutes"

There was frost in some areas Monday (Tues?) morning. and it's over 80 today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs