Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,492 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at a possible relocation to Chicagoland. We have small children so my top priority is trying to figure out the school districts. Which is considered the best? What towns and neighborhoods would be included in that district? We are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with other stay at home moms. We have a housing budget of $300-$375 but may consider renting to get to know the area better. The commute in not really an issue but we would need to be within an hour of O'Hare.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,630,504 times
Default Objectively speaking...

Your budget (which i assume is between $300k - $375k for purchase)will not allow you to buy a house in any of the districts that by objective measures would be "the best". That said there are many districts that have a large number of students that by objective measures perform very well on standardized tests and in some of those districts you probably could afford to purchase a home and live in the attendance area for the most desirable school.

You desire to be withing one hour of O'Hare does put some additional constraints on where you should look. Probably nomore than about 20 miles via the tollways.

The difficulty you will run into with constraints of budget and distance are pretty stiff. In most towns with desirable schools you will be looking at older smaller houses, though they are quite livable and should you decide to move up the potential for appreciation is real.

I woukd suggest looking for starter homes in Park Ridge, which is very convenient to O'Hare, as well as Libertyville, which is about the northern limit for an hour long commute, and then into DuPage Co where towns like Elmhurst and Downers Grove are probably going to be closeest tomeetingyour needs...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,492 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I knew the budget was going to be an issue...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,630,504 times
Default There are homes to be had...

It is not like every town around Chicago is all $1M++, there are many towns where your home buying budget would buy a median priced home. The thing of it is, in some of those towns you'd be a lot further out, the schools would not be as desirable and fhe odds of further price erosion are much greater.

There are still some towns where the only thing in your range would the lot left over after an older home was torn down, those tend to be the most desirable towns with the best schools, fastest communities, lots of very high income neighbors.

Parts of the towns I have listed do have some of those characteristics, but the towns I have listed also have some still affordable older homes, no areas of high crime to avoid, good commuting options, nice parks and well developed central businesses.

Depending upon where you are coming from, and what the alternatives are these are realistic and desirable areas that do have homes you could live in with kids and schools that you'd be pleased with. Theyalso have some single family homes for rent, which makes a lot of sense for a relocation situation.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,302,525 times
You can find some homes in Barrington, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights and Mt. Prospect in the 350-375 range.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 PM

60 posts, read 183,202 times
If you want the small town life with excellent schools, try the village of Barrington. In your price range, smaller and older is the order of the day. However, once you consider Barringtons lower taxes, you may be able to afford more. We also have friends who live at Boulder Ridge in Lake in the Hills that go to Crystal Lake Schools. CL schools are not in the same league as Barrington but they like them alot. Plus one gets alot more house for the money. However, LITH is not the small town life; it's the suburban life. PS Our friends said there is a house on the Golf Course, Something Point of Woods, for $299. Good Luck! I'd pick Barrington; it's great.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,739,519 times
Barrington to the Kennedy is a nightmare to O'Hare. Elk Grove Village, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, in addition to the villages mentioned above.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM

179 posts, read 487,976 times
We make O'Hare in less than one hour and we are located in Lockport, along I-355 which now connects with many other major highway/interstates and is convenient. Lockport is in the far south suburbs, down near I-80. Your price range would definitely allow you to find something here ... as well as to the east/south in New Lenox, Mokena, Manhattan, and other villages surrounding/nearby. Schools in the general area are good ... both Lockport, Lincoln-Way, Sandburg, Andrew, etc. Something to consider, as the drive IS possible from further south. Good luck no matter where you end up.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,649,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Barrington to the Kennedy is a nightmare to O'Hare. Elk Grove Village, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, in addition to the villages mentioned above.
DO it all the time, so I respectfully disagree about the nightmare.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,739,519 times
What time do you leave?

Afternoon on the Kennedy isn't bad once you get past Arlington Heights road exit going west. Going East, usually alright until Des Plaines Oasis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs