Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 25,874 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My family is planning a move to Chicago in December this year, and trying to figure out where to live. We have 12 and 10 year old daughters so quality of schools is super important.

My hubby (who is getting the job) would be working downtown.

Things on the wish list for where we want to live:

1. diverse community where the kids would not be the only "brown" kids

2. great elementary, middle, and high schools with lots of extracurricular options (both my girls are active in sports like volleyball, dance, and swimming)...we can't afford private school at this time.

3. access to the train line for the hubby's commute

4. houses with backyards (for the dog)

5. Parks and other outdoor activities would be wonderful

6. Medical facilities and shopping close by (within 30-45 mins drive)

Our budget for a house would be in the 250k - 300k range but we would need to rent for at least the first year.

Does such a wonderland exist in any of the Chicago burbs? :-)

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions about suburbs to add to our list...thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,801,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMove View Post
Hi!

My family is planning a move to Chicago in December this year, and trying to figure out where to live. We have 12 and 10 year old daughters so quality of schools is super important.

My hubby (who is getting the job) would be working downtown.

Things on the wish list for where we want to live:

1. diverse community where the kids would not be the only "brown" kids

2. great elementary, middle, and high schools with lots of extracurricular options (both my girls are active in sports like volleyball, dance, and swimming)...we can't afford private school at this time.

3. access to the train line for the hubby's commute

4. houses with backyards (for the dog)

5. Parks and other outdoor activities would be wonderful

6. Medical facilities and shopping close by (within 30-45 mins drive)

Our budget for a house would be in the 250k - 300k range but we would need to rent for at least the first year.

Does such a wonderland exist in any of the Chicago burbs? :-)

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions about suburbs to add to our list...thanks in advance!
You have Skokie/Lincolnwood/ and Morton Grove written all over you. Niles Township High Schools are extremely diverse schools with above average test scores. Skokie has the Yellow Line which will take your husband to the Red or Purple Line at Howard. He can easily take the Purple Line express to work. It runs M-F from 6-9 and 3-7 I believe.

Morton Grove has the METRA which is another train that will get him downtown quickly. You may want to try and avoid District 69 in Skokie, but any other district is more than adequate. Good luck, and welcome to Chicago (pretty soon anyway )

Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,320,667 times
All of what you seek is available except...........the $250-$300K budget may be challenging unless you are open to either a very long drive, a smaller, older home (that would still be updated and nice) or living in a townhouse (I have family with 2 kids who have plenty of space in their townhome in one of the best school districts around).

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM

320 posts, read 959,365 times
I agree with those who say the 250k-300k level would be a problem in the Chicago suburbs.

You can try Munster, Indiana, with:
- a National Top 50 Hospital in town,
- great schools,
-a good amount of Indian and Asian youth, as well as Hispanic and black.
- the South Shore train line a 15 minute drive away (and then 40 minute rise to downtown)
- an excellent park district with robust youth leagues.
- high end shopping 30 minutes away in Orland Park (downtown chicago a 40 minute drive).
-low tax rates on property and sales tax.

Most people don't look "out there" because it IS Indiana, but we did four years there before moving back into the city, and highly recommend it. You are about as far out as Downer's Grove or Highland Park, as comperable distances go to the Chicago Loop.

Downside is:
-Chain restaurants galore
-The high amount of smoking in the populace in Northwest Indiana
-Not a lot else there besides Munster as far as schools go.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,520,551 times
South Berwyn, especially the Proksa Park area, would meet most of your criteria. The neighborhood is diverse, MacNeal Hospital is right there, the Metra runs right through it, it's 15 minutes from the Loop on the train, and Emerson Elementary is very good. And Proksa Park is one of the better suburban parks out there and there's even a walkable grocery store in Riverside, and several within 5-10 minutes by car. In this market, you could easily get a very nice bungalow or Victorian in your price range.

Of course, Morton West high school's ISAT scores aren't great but this is to some extent worse on paper than in reality, as it does have some good AP programs, and caring parents do send their kids there. Plus, the area is surrounded by some excellent private high schools, including Fenwick, Nazareth, and St. Joseph.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM

2,165 posts, read 5,536,524 times
Default Munster, Indiana is THE PLACE FOR YOU!

Munster is pretty much exactly what you have described. The only MAJOR drawback is that even though there is the South Shore line, it is not always the most reliable. However, the other advantages of living here make up for it. It is a very safe town, diverse (with increasingly more Indians and other Asians moving in), and has housing options for most income levels. In your price range, you may not get the newest home, but you could get an updated Quad or Two-story home in the Fairmeadows subdivision which is a very desirable area to live (because of the elementary school). The middle school and high school are top notch as well. Also, Munster is almost the "medical mecca" of Northwest Indiana with the hospital, surgical centers, and hundreds of doctors offices. Also, the new 17 million dollar Centennial Park and Golf Course is AMAZING and has a dog park. If you want more information about the town and its offerings, visit the Northwest Indiana thread or PM me. I will be glad to help!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,210,454 times
Homewood (south suburbs) would be perfect. It has everything you want in a charming, small town atmosphere. You can get a beautiful home for well under your budget. Neighboing Flossmoor is even more quaint, but a bit pricier.

Frankfort might be good. It is mostly, but not excluively white. Majority black Matteson (another good place to look) is next door. Frankfort schools are excellent, though the train is a short drive away in Mokena. It is even more expensive, but still a good selection of homes in your budget.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:36 AM

60 posts, read 183,460 times
As usual I recommend the village of Barrington. Presently, homes exist in the village w/i your price range and I bet some of those prices will drop over the next 12 months. Some rentals do exist but not as many as other places which have been mentioned in this thread. CUSD 220 is great and so is the village.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,320,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsiders View Post
As usual I recommend the village of Barrington. Presently, homes exist in the village w/i your price range and I bet some of those prices will drop over the next 12 months. Some rentals do exist but not as many as other places which have been mentioned in this thread. CUSD 220 is great and so is the village.
250-300K in Barrington?! Is it a cottage or a house?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 25,874 times
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions, right now we're making our lists of places to research, so this is really helpful.

One I've seen that looks really great is Oak Park.....the houses are way outside our budget it seems, but looks like rental prices (for the 1 house I found :-)) aren't horrible...Are there any other tradeoffs that we'd have to make from the original list if we were in Oak Park?

Thanks again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs