Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM

17,394 posts, read 14,631,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
As soon as it becomes something other than Indiana, we'll talk. .
What the hell does that mean?

Quote:
I know several who live in Indiana, and they all took jobs in Indianapolis. If they were taking jobs in the Loop, they wouldn't live in NWI,
I'll be sure to tell all the residents of Whiting, that you know, live about 25 minutes from downtown, that they should be looking to work in Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,974 times
Well if you don't get what I'm saying you're not going to. For many attracted to living in or near a big city, Indiana isn't a place they want to live. If they are living in Indiana, its because they've found a job in Indianapolis and live and work in that area. Not need to be dense and misunderstand what I said. When they find a job in Chicago, they aren't going to consider living in Indiana. Period. That was the question of this thread, would people who work in the Loop consider living in NWI if public transportation options improved, my answer is while I'm sure there are some who will, the people who I know, people who are young professionals, younger families, ones who would buy on the North Shore or buy out towards Oak Brook, Naperville, Barrington, they aren't going to consider living in NWI. They aren't interested in living in Indiana. If you don't get that, that's fine. But its a reality. Indiana, no matter its proximity to the Loop, isn't a desirable address for many who work in the Loop.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM

17,394 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Well if you don't get what I'm saying you're not going to. For many attracted to living in or near a big city, Indiana isn't a place they want to live. If they are living in Indiana, its because they've found a job in Indianapolis and live and work in that area. Not need to be dense and misunderstand what I said. When they find a job in Chicago, they aren't going to consider living in Indiana. Period. That was the question of this thread, would people who work in the Loop consider living in NWI if public transportation options improved, my answer is while I'm sure there are some who will, the people who I know, people who are young professionals, younger families, ones who would buy on the North Shore or buy out towards Oak Brook, Naperville, Barrington, they aren't going to consider living in NWI. They aren't interested in living in Indiana. If you don't get that, that's fine. But its a reality. Indiana, no matter its proximity to the Loop, isn't a desirable address for many who work in the Loop.
See, I completely understand what you're saying & I understand it to a point.

But what does absolutely nothing but irritate the heck out of me is the assumption that once you cross the state line it's nothing but rednecks, pickup trucks, subpar housing, country radio & bad schools.

ESPECIALLY when it comes from the mouths of people who've 1., never had a Chicago address themselves but claim to be from the city when in fact they're from some suburb like Crystal Lake 2. are transplants from a state like Kansas and are suddenly so wordly that they act like they would live nowhere else but a zip that begins with 606.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yea, kind of like living in Jersey when you work in NYC. It's generally looked down upon, though people do it because land is so expensive in NYC proper. Chicago, by contrast, has many, many square miles that need redevelopment, even exclusively of the south suburbs.

The NJ analogy doesn't fly. There is frequent and quick train service to NYC, on several lines, in addition to a PATH train from Jersey City and Hoboken, and ferris. Also, numerous fantastic communities, wonderful schools, and very, very wealthy people. Whether to leave in Westchester, CT, LI or NJ is a similar decision to what people make here - do I live North, West, Northwest, etc. I think it depends on family, commute, etc. Also note that no matter what NY suburb you live in, commute times are way longer than they are here.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Densities and geographic features break things up too...

Valpariso is nice town, but it is farther than all but a handful of towns, and even if there were expresses that match the route to Naperville I doubt you would ever the volume of passenger for that to make sense...

When I compare the ride to LI or upper crust NJ or CT the big factor that those places have is that the desirable locations are pretty well isolated from the less desirable industrial waterfront. With the various rivers, bridges and tunnels getting to Manhattant has far more physical barriers than getting to the Loop. The old east coast mills of CT have long since given way to something that looks more like the tourist towns of SW MI...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
See, I completely understand what you're saying & I understand it to a point.

But what does absolutely nothing but irritate the heck out of me is the assumption that once you cross the state line it's nothing but rednecks, pickup trucks, subpar housing, country radio & bad schools.

ESPECIALLY when it comes from the mouths of people who've 1., never had a Chicago address themselves but claim to be from the city when in fact they're from some suburb like Crystal Lake 2. are transplants from a state like Kansas and are suddenly so wordly that they act like they would live nowhere else but a zip that begins with 606.
Well, you are making quite a few assumptions about me. You've described the opposite of me.

Also, I said it wasn't desirable for many to live in Indiana, that doesn't mean there's something completely terrible about the area. From what I've seen when I've been to the area, NWI suburbs are nice looking, like many suburbs tend to be. That's not to say I want to move there. Thinking a place is nice and wanting to move there are very different things.

Commute times in the Chicago area aren't necessarily shorter than they are in NYC metro area. Not at all, not sure where you got that idea.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
...Commute times in the Chicago area aren't necessarily shorter than they are in NYC metro area. Not at all, not sure where you got that idea.
Who brought up a comparison with NYC?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
That would be my fault. "Kind of like" was the operative term. Obviously, the NJ suburbs of NYC are much further entrenched than the Indiana suburbs of Chicago. Regardless, that analogy was not central to my point. Carry on.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Who brought up a comparison with NYC?
A couple of others did, but my comment was in response to kindrakindra's comment that commute times to NYC suburbs were much longer than they are to Chicago suburbs.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
A couple of others did, but my comment was in response to kindrakindra's comment that commute times to NYC suburbs were much longer than they are to Chicago suburbs.
Which was in response to my comparison, which really wasn't all that important to what I was trying to say. If this thread shoots off into an NYC v. Chicago commuting time debacle, I owe everyone a free beer. I'm sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs