Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 PM

15 posts, read 53,165 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would be moving to Schaumburg next month. I was looking around for apartments but found nothing that is a safe, clean place to live , except for 1-2 which were prohibitively expensive.

I am thinking of living in Naperville as from what I gather, it is a nice, safe area to be in & also has express trains in the mornings to Chicago which is my requirement.

Could someone give me a realistic estimate of the travel time to Schaumburg from Naperville? I would be traveling during peak hours & dont mind using the expressway or inner roads...depending on what is more convenient & less time-consuming!!

Any pointers please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,819,953 times
If you can't afford schaumburg, you won't be able to afford naperville. What kind of budget are you working with?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Default There are many towns between the two...

If you are not familiar with Metrarail I would urge you to explore the many towns along the rail lines. Schaumburg has poor access to trains. If getting downtown daily is a work requirement there are better choices.

The UP West line has many good options, from Oak Park to Elmhurst, Lombard, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton and Geneva.

BNSF has options from Berwyn to Aurora.

Need more details on what you are looking for....

Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,332,494 times
Both Schaumburg and Naperville are farther out suburbs if you're going to be commuting downtown. Not that the commute isn't doable, but surely there are safe closer-in towns than those two that won't break the bank either. I would not want to drive downtown from either town during peak rush hour traffic times. No way.

Definitely would need more details.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 AM

720 posts, read 3,008,389 times
Default Naperville vs Schaumburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniekher View Post
Hi,

I would be moving to Schaumburg next month. I was looking around for apartments but found nothing that is a safe, clean place to live , except for 1-2 which were prohibitively expensive.

I am thinking of living in Naperville as from what I gather, it is a nice, safe area to be in & also has express trains in the mornings to Chicago which is my requirement.

Could someone give me a realistic estimate of the travel time to Schaumburg from Naperville? I would be traveling during peak hours & dont mind using the expressway or inner roads...depending on what is more convenient & less time-consuming!!

Any pointers please?

I'm wondering if your expectations for what you want in an apt aren't inline with what your willing to pay. Schaumburg I would imagine for the most part is on par if not more affordable than Naperville so if you can't find something in Schaumburg you probably won't have much luck in Naperville.

There are some cheap places in decent areas, maybe a little outdated but clean and everything but not sure if you would go for that. A few places that come to mind are near River Rd and Ogden there's a few condo's/apt complexes. Also near Jefferson and Ogden behind the Range Rover Dealership.

You also have some condos near Bailey and Washtington or Bailey and Naper Blvd in Naperville. There's also some nice complexes near the Rt 59 train station but those are expensive.

As for commute, I'm confused you say you need to take the rain into the city in the morning but you ask about comute to Naperville to Schaumburg.

Naperville it really depends how far you are from the expressway. My buddy lives in the Railway apts near the 59 train station, he could get places much quicker than I could living on the far south side of Naperville. THe commute on I88 for the most part wont be too bad, yes there's construction but still not terrible but just getting from the south side of Naperville to an expressway on some days can be 30-40 minutes.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I think I have been a little unclear with my reqmt so let me be more specific this time around

I will be working in Schaumburg, but I would move in with my friend. My friend would need to commute to downtown Chicago for work hence my requirement was an area from where my friend can get an express train to downtown Chicago & something thats not too bad a drive for me as well.

I looked at apts in Schaumburg but most of them had terrible reviews - issues with cleanliness, safety etc. The only good apartment (per the net) was Lincoln Meadows which is around 1400 for a 1 bhk which is pricey.

I was looking at nearby areas & zeroed in on Naperville for the following reasons:

1) Express trains (34 mins) to downtown Chicago @ 8 am & 8:24 am which are very reasonable times for my friend
2) Generally good reviews about the area in terms of the safety & hygiene factor in apartments
3) 1050 for a good 1bhk in Arbors of Brookdale, which has positive reviews on the net & is located just 1.3 mi from the Metra (& from I-88 as well)

My only concern now is the commute time from Naperville to Schaumburg...Google Maps lists it as arnd 35 mins which I am ok with...the apt complex seems right next to I-88 so that excites me. However I would like a realistic perspective of the commute time from this apt complex to Naperville.

Hope this is more clear Thanks for all your help

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,922,663 times
35 minutes to Schaumburg sounds optimistic, Might be possible in light traffic, but you should allow extra time in case of accidents or construction (in progress this summer on 355). The train service from Naperville is very good but the parking is not. Be sure there is a shuttle bus from your apartment to the station.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
Default Optimistic? I'll be blunt --- impossible!

With the repaving happening along 355 and 290 there is flat out no way to get to Schaumburg from Naperville in anything close to 35 minutes. Maybe double that in the morning and 2.5 times that in the evenings.

Horrible horrible tie ups.

If you don't schools I would recommend you and you pal look around Wooddale, Itasca or Roselle. Expressed trains are not as quick as BNSF, but things are much more affordable, crowds are lighter than around Schaumburg and you still have an easy commute.

Frankly if you want something closer to Chicago than Naperville and easier drive to Schaumburg the towns I suggested are hard to beat. Only other thing that comes to mind is Elmhurst / Bensensville, but prices are not going to be any lower, and traffic forces you through some tight spots. With the other towns you will miss the worst of the mess...

Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks Chet..

among the towns you suggested, anything in particular you would recommend above others ? besides a good, fast commute to schaumburg & chicago, a place that is most importantly safe & has good apartments ? am moving from Scranton in NEPA where the crime rate is virtually nil...so even "petty" crime like breaking glass windows etc is pretty harrowing a thought for me

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,260,924 times
I've been on the stretch of Irving Park RD in Itasca/Roselle before, and I've seen some fairly nice looking apartment complexes. West of the Eisenhower expressway, to be more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs