Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times

Advertisements

No way would I sink 600k into Bollingbrook. You should be able to get the whole town for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
Bolingbrook is the best planned community I ever worked in.
There is alot less crime and drugs in Bolingbrook than one would ever see in the surrounding areas.

Naperville has seen it's day and very poorly planned.
cue Twilight Zone Music

Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Location: Romeoville during the week. Naperville on weekends.
2 posts, read 9,389 times
Compare a Bolingbrook high school to a Naperville high school (or even high schools in Aurora, Lisle, etc.) and then tell me there are less drugs and/or crimes in Bolingbrook.

And even though you (cavewoman) think Naperville is poorly planned, I think we've done pretty well. You know, since we were voted the number one place to raise children, and all.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 AM

324 posts, read 416,480 times
$5 million in cocaine found in Naperville house :: Beacon News :: News (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/259967,2_1_AU16_COCAINE_S1.article - broken link)

cbs2chicago.com - Heroin Highway Leads Teenage Lives To Ruin (http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Interstate.290.Eisenhower.2.328264.html - broken link)

Its everywhere. Some communities are just better at hiding their drug issues. People dont seem to care if there is a drug problem in their area. As long as it is kept quiet, people seem to be fine with it. As a service tech I work all around the Chicagoland area. While on the west-side of Chicago it is very common to see cars with suburban stickers buying drugs.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Here's something I've never understood about Bolingbrook. This town has enough money to pave their streets in gold if they wanted to (look at all the retail, and all the industrial parks along I-55). They tore down one of the suburbs only indoor pools and waterparks to put up a new indoor pool and water park.

Yet, they haven't built a new library yet! Why not? Their current, rather unattractive facility (imo), dates back to the '70's when the town was a quarter of the size it is today. There are dozens of suburbs with new libraries, and dozens more with significantly renovated and expanded facilities. I would expect Bolingbrook's library to be a showcase. What's going on there?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 AM

26 posts, read 151,605 times
Default Why Naperville vs. Bolingbrook?

My husband grew up in Bolingbrook and my father-in-law lives in Naperville. Both have redeeming qualities. Bolingbrook offers a lot for the money, great mayor (my mother-in-law is a friend of his) and is going through some tremendous growth. Naperville has top-notch schools, a fantastic downtown, great shopping and eating.

On the flip side, I'm not so sure about Bolingbrooks schools and crime. And my father-in-law loves Naperville, but the taxes are killing him (he has no children in school).

Personally, I think $600K is at the very top of what you should spend in Bolingbrook. Remember the old real estate saying "location, location, location." People might not believe Bolingbrook fits the location if you try to sell--especially if the market continues to plummet. It's an image thing. Bolingbrook's image is changing, but slowly.

Have you looked into other areas around there that could give you "location" and a better value? Maybe Wheaton?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 PM

28 posts, read 119,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Here's something I've never understood about Bolingbrook. This town has enough money to pave their streets in gold if they wanted to (look at all the retail, and all the industrial parks along I-55). They tore down one of the suburbs only indoor pools and waterparks to put up a new indoor pool and water park.

Yet, they haven't built a new library yet! Why not? Their current, rather unattractive facility (imo), dates back to the '70's when the town was a quarter of the size it is today. There are dozens of suburbs with new libraries, and dozens more with significantly renovated and expanded facilities. I would expect Bolingbrook's library to be a showcase. What's going on there?
Prairie State, I just moved to Bolingbrook 4 months ago so I'm still learning the ins and outs of Bolingbrook politics but the short answer is the library, like any other town library, levies its own tax and operates separately from the city. Whatever tax money the library receives (if any) from the new commercial and industrial development isn't enough for a new building so they have to ask the public for more $$ via a referendum, which is exactly what they're doing next week.

I agree with you, the building is a disgrace for a town the size of Bolingbrook. I'll be voting yes on Tuesday. Complicating the matter is the fact that Bolingbrook and Romeoville share a library district, and the Romeoville people may vote against "building a new library for somebody else." We'll see.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM

50 posts, read 170,127 times
get a grip. bolingbrook has many great areas. just stay in the plainfield or naperville school districts.

i am a realtor and sold my son a home there in the plainfield school district (near the high end golf course). i live in naperville, but he wanted new and got a great home.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,180 times
I've lived in Bolingbrook in the same house for nearly 14 years. The subdivision I've lived in has many starter homes, and it is typical of starter homes to have a great deal of "turn" because people outgrow their homes and need to "move on up" so to speak after they've built the equity to do so. HOWEVER, having quite a few new neighbors in 14 years, we have NEVER had a problem with the neighborhood, and have really liked all our neighbors. That person who advised looking at the numbers of homes for sale has drawn a completely erroneous conclusion and should realize that his/her logic is flawed.
Another point about Bolingbrook Real Estate is that the village has enacted an ordinance that requires new home construction to be valued at no less that $350,000. My Real Estate friend in Evanston called the village attorney to verify this when I first heard the rumor. This means that someone with a smaller, existing home will not be competing with new construction when it comes time to sell, unlike Shorewood and Plainfield. Sounds very win-win, especially when it comes property tax time for the village.
I've been involved in many community activities, and the one that has made me see the most of the town is involvement in Freecycle (look it up if you don't know what it is). I have been to many different neighborhoods in this town and I can tell you that we have lovely McMansions as well as good ol' colonials and raised ranches. For the most part, properties are kept up. Beaconridge is probably the only exception.
Part of the reason for our sudden growth and attractiveness to retail/entertainment businesses is we now have Lake Michigan water which allows for growth. This is a fairly recent addition to our utility spectrum and it is a very good thing.
My ONLY complaint about the handling of village affairs is that the new Library was voted down because a lack of support on the part of the Mayors of both Bolingbrook and Romeoville. These are important institutions and should have been approved. It is very disappointing.
Rather than hear from someone "who went to a party there ONCE", I'd like to hear from those who have resided here a long while and have lived through the many changes. Those are the people who can best advise the originator of the question which was "Anybody know anything about Bolingbrook?" I would like to hear from those whose street wasn't plowed regularly or whose kid was stabbed in the locker room or something. Anyone?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:22 PM

33 posts, read 126,782 times
are you kidding me! Bolingbrook schools are HORRIBLE. My significant other and I live in Bolingbrook (east side) and he is a cop here too. Here is the deal;

The east side is definatley better for schools. We are near Woodridge (by Ikea) and our schools are Downers grove.
The crime rate is MUCH higher on the west side. THere is some crime on the east side, but more on the west side.
Far west, by plainfied is where they are building new construction. I dont know too much except it is far from me.
The cost of the homes vary..but the taxes seem cheaper over on the east side. We just went to look for homes on the far far west side and taxes were ridiculous. It might just be an illinois thing.

There are a lot of resturants in BOlingbrook. East side, you got the new promenade mall. West side has a lot to offer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs