Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM

132 posts, read 444,957 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into relocating to the Chicago burbs from CA with our 4 yr old. The south burbs mentioned, Orland Park, Frankfort, etc sound amazing. Can anyone tell me how far these cities are outside of Chicago - by train and miles? Are there any cities west of Chicago comparable to Orland Park? I was very surprised at how expensive the North Shore is so we are looking at other areas. We would like a fairly new home that doesn't need a lot of work. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
My husband and I are looking into relocating to the Chicago burbs from CA with our 4 yr old. The south burbs mentioned, Orland Park, Frankfort, etc sound amazing. Can anyone tell me how far these cities are outside of Chicago - by train and miles? Are there any cities west of Chicago comparable to Orland Park? I was very surprised at how expensive the North Shore is so we are looking at other areas. We would like a fairly new home that doesn't need a lot of work. Thanks in advance for your help.
I think Orland Park/Frankfort area is around 26 miles from the city, and a 45 minute train ride. As far as west suburbs go, Naperville, Wheaton are very nice suburbs. Orland Park, Frankfort, Tinley Park are great choices for South Suburbs. Hope this helps!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM

37 posts, read 158,101 times
You can keep Frankfurt. The "jewel" of the South Suburbs to me is Flossmoor. A beatiful, beatiful town.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,361 times
Red face Freankfort Il

Hi, I was just responding to the person who was asking how Frankfort is..
If you are still looking for information, yes, the school district is one of the best. The high school is the best for price per child (including taxes paid etc)
The community is a growing one. I have lived out here for over 30 years -- and we have finally arrived -- lol... we have Kohls, jewel, target, Office Max, etc etc. Close to all expressways.. I highly recommend it .. Frankfort Square is unincorperated which means way cheaper taxes. Houses are a vareity of old and new - depending on your needs.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 111,499 times
Frankfort is a nice community that has really grown over the last 10 years, and I'm sure it will continue to grow--still a fair amount of undeveloped land there. Houses range from $200,000 up to $1.5 million there. A typical 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house can run from $230,000-$250,000 in unincorporated Frankfort Square, to $300,000 to $500,000 for incorporated Frankfort--depending on whether it's a newer or older home.

The Lincoln-Way high school district is great as well.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 85,380 times
I work in Frankfort and the Metra train is in Mokena.
The schools are the top of the line if your kids are in grade -high schools.
Alot of the people have their own companies and most have lived their all of their lives. They take great pride in their town and provide alot of activies for the kids. Call or check on line for the village hall can they can provide or send info to you. I have worked their for 10 yrs. The only reason I haven't moved there is because I have never like living in the same town I work in.
The town is growing with new stores opening up. Check out the Windy Hill area off of Rt. 30 (Lincoln Hwy.)
Their is all diffent price ranges of houses that are available.
There is houses for sale everywhere just depends on your sale range. Mokena is going fast also and is right next to Frankfort.
Their is alot of kids if that is what you are concern about always something to do there.
Ask about any area and I see how I can help you out. The reason why I know about it so much is because I work for the post office there. Will county is cheaper than cook county when it comes to taxes you can see where your taxes go to compare to cook county.

Good Luck

Last edited by mdz; 12-27-2007 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: I removed realtor link

Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 AM

14 posts, read 39,089 times
cheap homes in homewood and glennwood...easy transit to the city

Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 AM

14 posts, read 23,521 times
Default water

I know this sounds silly but I'm very picky about water. I am spoiled on my Chicago water. I used to live in Joliet and could never get used to washing my hair or drinking the water (and from what I remembered from when I lived in Frankfort and got rust stains in my clothes). Unless it's changed the water there is not so good, even if you get a softener it's not great. Frankfort I think is somewhat overrated. But if you have kids in high school I guess Lincoln Way is a good school.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM

91 posts, read 291,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirl2 View Post
I know this sounds silly but I'm very picky about water. I am spoiled on my Chicago water. I used to live in Joliet and could never get used to washing my hair or drinking the water (and from what I remembered from when I lived in Frankfort and got rust stains in my clothes). Unless it's changed the water there is not so good, even if you get a softener it's not great. Frankfort I think is somewhat overrated. But if you have kids in high school I guess Lincoln Way is a good school.
I was spoiled and still is spoiled on Cook County water. To me it's the best tasting water in the country (I used to be an Over-The-Road truck driver). I moved out here to Joliet 3 years ago and I will not put this water in my body! It smell horrible when you turn the faucet on and it's brown! So if good water is a factor in your decision for moving Will County will disappoint!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 21,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
Thanks again everyone. We looked into Orland and it was a little higher in price than Frankfort but it is a beautiful town as well. Does anyone know of any good pizza places in the area? We ate at a place called Vito Nicks and thought it was great. Does anyone have suggestions on what else to try. My husband is a pizza freak.

Madelyn
Try Traversos. Excellent pizza. i miss it. no great pizza places in Wichita Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs