Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

Don't let the excellent defeat the merely good and possible. You might well find an original correct engine and trans in a junkyard, if it's not stuck, you could do anything from tearing it down and doing rings & bearings (OK, pistons too, if needed), valve job and button it up, to just dropping it in as-is...even if it burns a little oil and leaks some too...you could get the car back on the road...well it probably makes sense to put in at least a new clutch & throwout bearing but you get my drift, a limited budget approach does not have to mean an unsatisfying result...

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 04-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: clutch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:41 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
I have the complete 4 bolt main 350 that was in it when I parked it. It's apart but it's all there. Still have the Muncie and super shifter too.

To me it doesn't have to be all original to be nice.

Again, maybe some day...

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Sounds like M3 Mitch is sort of silently whispering "rat rod.....rat rod"

What's worse, driving a rusty 67 Camaro or not owning one at all?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Well, I am a die-hard fan of living in non-rust country, so in my mind's eye I see a solid 67 Camaro, paint maybe dull and faded, but there, maybe a dent or two on the car but basically straight, a roller minus engine and trans, which are laying on the bench nearby, and it just needs assembly.

Sort of like what's going on with my Scirocco right now, although only the head is out of the car.

If the Camaro is badly rusted, that would be a different and sadder tale. I have done rust repairs, it's not rocket science, just a lot of dirty hard work, if you learn to use a wire-feed welder and a plasma cutter, it's not super time consuming, but it's still not easy and you really have to balance getting a craftsman-like job against "mission creep" that will have you still banging and welding when you are retirement age...

I'm just pointing out that a car like my Roc or MG-B, while not ready for Pebble Beach or even for a small local car show, can still be put together to make a reasonably safe, usable and enjoyable car, even though it's a bit "dog-eared".

If that body is reasonably rust free, re-assembly of the engine and transola could be a good "father-son" type project (assuming you have a son, and assuming said son is young enough to not be working full time and old enough to participate at least some)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I still have a '67 Camaro I bought just out of high school back in 1973.

Lately I've been kickin' around the idea of selling it. It needs a complete restoration and I don't have the time nor the money to do it right.
Do the world of carcrafters a favor and SELL IT and give it a good home and let it see the streets again. Please don't let it rust out, it will be worth no more than what it is worth right now and you have to come to the reality that you may never get around to restoring it. Before you know it years will go by and that rust cancer will kill it and kill any or all value it has left in it.

If you do think you will restore it, just remember the rule, think about what your budget will be for restoring it based on what it needs, then triple the amount.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:39 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, I am a die-hard fan of living in non-rust country, so in my mind's eye I see a solid 67 Camaro, paint maybe dull and faded, but there, maybe a dent or two on the car but basically straight, a roller minus engine and trans, which are laying on the bench nearby, and it just needs assembly.

Sort of like what's going on with my Scirocco right now, although only the head is out of the car.

If the Camaro is badly rusted, that would be a different and sadder tale. I have done rust repairs, it's not rocket science, just a lot of dirty hard work, if you learn to use a wire-feed welder and a plasma cutter, it's not super time consuming, but it's still not easy and you really have to balance getting a craftsman-like job against "mission creep" that will have you still banging and welding when you are retirement age...

I'm just pointing out that a car like my Roc or MG-B, while not ready for Pebble Beach or even for a small local car show, can still be put together to make a reasonably safe, usable and enjoyable car, even though it's a bit "dog-eared".

If that body is reasonably rust free, re-assembly of the engine and transola could be a good "father-son" type project (assuming you have a son, and assuming said son is young enough to not be working full time and old enough to participate at least some)

I'm not really sure just how bad of condition his car is other than his post of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
As for now, it has no engine in it. Both quarters have been replaced but it needs some floor pan work.
....which sounded to me like the car was a cancer bucket that he started on but didn't quite finish.

Body work is expensive and a daunting task for some. But that has me wondering if some just throw in the towel, drop in a running engine/trans and just drive miss rusty around, even if she is a bit rough around the edges.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm not really sure just how bad of condition his car is other than his post of....

....which sounded to me like the car was a cancer bucket that he started on but didn't quite finish.

Body work is expensive and a daunting task for some. But that has me wondering if some just throw in the towel, drop in a running engine/trans and just drive miss rusty around, even if she is a bit rough around the edges.
Not hardly a cancer bucket.

Yeah, I started on it. I started on it back in 1973 when I bought it and had a lot of fun with it over the years with several different engine/trans combinations. No, it never was finish but are they ever finished?

It's funny how priorities change over the years. Used to be just wanting to be the fastest or having the best exhaust sound at idle. There was nothing quite like the sound of a small block with a high lift roller cam and Hooker headers running through stock mufflers.

My deal now is more for looks and comfort and I know what that costs. I will not do a halfaed restoration. I've seen too many done like that and it ain't for me.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
I don't care too much for the Camaros that were made from 1993 through 2005 (I believe 2005 was the last year they made that body style) For some reason that body style just doesn't appeal to me. I like the IROC Zs they made in the mid 1980s, and I believe they put EFI on them starting in 1986.

If I were to rebuild an old Camaro, I'd choose the ones that were made from 1967 through 1973.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't care too much for the Camaros that were made from 1993 through 2005 (I believe 2005 was the last year they made that body style) For some reason that body style just doesn't appeal to me. I like the IROC Zs they made in the mid 1980s, and I believe they put EFI on them starting in 1986.

If I were to rebuild an old Camaro, I'd choose the ones that were made from 1967 through 1973.
the 4th gen camro's were stopped being made in 2002 the problem with the Iroc Z is you could only get the TPI 350 with an auto tranny and the 305 was the only motor with a stick and the 7.5" rear ends were really weak but yeah the styling of the Irocs were nice

Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the 4th gen camro's were stopped being made in 2002 the problem with the Iroc Z is you could only get the TPI 350 with an auto tranny and the 305 was the only motor with a stick and the 7.5" rear ends were really weak but yeah the styling of the Irocs were nice
Thanks for the information, I knew about the limited options with the engine/tranny combination, but I didn't know about the weakness in the rear-ends. That's when buying an after-market rear-end would be the only option when the factory one fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC