Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 AM

890 posts, read 3,710,359 times

Advertisements

My former neighbors had a '99 GMC Suburban SLT and as far as I know they still have it as their horse trailer towing/beater vehicle. Aside from a problem with the wiper switch, I don't remember them having any trouble with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,235,477 times
I agree the drive trains in these vehicles were very good. Unfortunately the outfitting of the cabin is nothing but pure junk.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM

534 posts, read 2,413,060 times
I had a tahoe for a few years which is almost the same thing, 96 with the vortec motor. It was a very good cheap to operate truck, except for gas!! that was the kicker.
All the stuff that i thought fell apart on american cars (power windows locks, etc), never failed on it.
LIke others have said, look for a 96+ with the vortec. Those trucks if maintained should be good till 300k.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,728,558 times
I've owned a 93 Suburban since the day it rolled off the car carrier at the dealers. I wouldn't trade if for any other vehicle on the road today I like it so much. Soild and reliable as a tank and is never to little vehicle with a limousine ride!

What's not to like?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,738,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
depends the TBI system was junk
I would have to disagree with that. The two injector TBI system they used for years across several models was extremely robust and reliable. Not as efficient as MPFI however that TBI system was designed in the mid '80s... it worked great for a number of years.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM

7,970 posts, read 26,751,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I've owned a 93 Suburban since the day it rolled off the car carrier at the dealers. I wouldn't trade if for any other vehicle on the road today I like it so much. Soild and reliable as a tank and is never to little vehicle with a limousine ride!

What's not to like
?
The gas mileage.

What kind of mileage do you pull down? Everything I've read & heard leads me to believe you're lucky to pull down 15 mpg on the highway with them.

And I ask that, by the way, because I'd like to pick up a Suburban for hauling all my tools & building supplies, etc.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
The gas mileage.

What kind of mileage do you pull down? Everything I've read & heard leads me to believe you're lucky to pull down 15 mpg on the highway with them.

And I ask that, by the way, because I'd like to pick up a Suburban for hauling all my tools & building supplies, etc.
In good tune I get 19>20mpg @ 70mph on the interstate and 13mpg around town.

However, when you load up with tools etc. the extra weight will kill your MPG but the 'Burb will haul it and never complain a one bit. Since you can now buy a really good condition 92>99 "burb for not much money I'd say you will get great service in your use from it with a small penalty in MPG for what you get. Suburbans built from 92>99 are some of the best Suburbans ever built.

Tank tough and comfy as can be with with a Looooooooooooooooooong useful life.

Like I said....."What's not to like?"

Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
In good tune I get 19>20mpg @ 70mph on the interstate and 13mpg around town.

However, when you load up with tools etc. the extra weight will kill your MPG but the 'Burb will haul it and never complain a one bit. Since you can now buy a really good condition 92>99 "burb for not much money I'd say you will get great service in your use from it with a small penalty in MPG for what you get. Suburbans built from 92>99 are some of the best Suburbans ever built.

Tank tough and comfy as can be with with a Looooooooooooooooooong useful life.

Like I said....."What's not to like?"
18-20 on the road is better than I expected!

And frankly, I don't put many miles on my old truck - nor would I on a Suburban. A total of 3,000-4,000. Maybe.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
18-20 on the road is better than I expected!

And frankly, I don't put many miles on my old truck - nor would I on a Suburban. A total of 3,000-4,000. Maybe.
Then I don't see a downside for you if you buy a good used 92>99 Suburban.

Now I won't warrant that you will get 19>20 mpg on the highway but at the very worst I'd bet 16>17 mpg wouldn't be unreasonable in your use.

Word of caution: I'd suggest that you stick with 93>95 Suburbans since they have TBI and cast iron intake manifolds. From 96 on the intake was aluminum and they intake gasket leakage issues.
The 92 suburbans (first year for this model Burb) has some tranny issues not found in later years.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Then I don't see a downside for you if you buy a good used 92>99 Suburban.

Now I won't warrant that you will get 19>20 mpg on the highway but at the very worst I'd bet 16>17 mpg wouldn't be unreasonable in your use.

Word of caution: I'd suggest that you stick with 93>95 Suburbans since they have TBI and cast iron intake manifolds. From 96 on the intake was aluminum and they intake gasket leakage issues.
The 92 suburbans (first year for this model Burb) has some tranny issues not found in later years.
Actually, one of my sons thinks I have to buy this 84 Diesel. I'm not at all convinced...

1984 CHEVY 3/4 TON DIESEL SUB (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/1544765043.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC