Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,101,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I liked the later Skylark 4drs and later Citation 5drs the best.

Not sure about the Chevette.... we still see alot of those on the roads as well. I think they were simplier cars and much easier to work on than the Citation mechanically, but body/interior wise, I am sure the Citation was a better car. The Chevette had already been around for about 4 or 5 years when the FWD x-cars came aroundm so some of those bugs had worked out. Around our Omega time, our neighbor had a 1981 Chevetter 3dr hatchback with the 4-cylinder that was a good little car until a oil hose broke and set the engine on fire! Co-workers put it out, did a little re-wiring and he was still able to drive it home that night! They bought it brand new in 1980 and drove it until 1997. I think they finally parked it because of bad brakes or something, then a tree fell on the back of it. His dad never gets shed of cars, so its still in his back lawn.

I am not sure how the iron duke 4's were, but probably better than the V6 of 80-81. You may be right... the fuel injection may have not came around until 1985 on the V6.... may have been earlier. I did see where the 2.5L 4 was fuel injected in 1984.
I believe the fuel injection came out in 1982 on the Iron Duke motors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I believe the fuel injection came out in 1982 on the Iron Duke motors
Yep, your are exactly right. I looked back at the brochures and noticed that 1982 was the first year of FI on the Iron Duke 4. It was not until 1985 that FI was on the V6 and even then it was optional.... probably a much better engine. I had a 1985 Camaro with the 2.8L V6 MPFI and it was a really good engine... peppy too.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I personally liked the looks of the Omega's/Skylark's way better than the Citation's/Phoenix's, I used to confuse the Citation with the Chevette when I was younger, were the Chevette's better built cars than the Citation's?
LOL they were built about the same if not less. Every ****vette I've ever came across gave the owners nothing but grief.

Someone mentioned the Phoenix. I saw a few FWD ones when I was a kid in the 80's, then later I knew of a guy that had a Phonenix, but his was a 1978 model and it looked just like a Chevy Nova with one of those FWD Phoenix noses on it. No kidding. I guess Pontiac decided to reuse the nose off the left over Nova cloned Ventura turned RWD Phoenix.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
LOL they were built about the same if not less. Every ****vette I've ever came across gave the owners nothing but grief.

Someone mentioned the Phoenix. I saw a few FWD ones when I was a kid in the 80's, then later I knew of a guy that had a Phonenix, but his was a 1978 model and it looked just like a Chevy Nova with one of those FWD Phoenix noses on it. No kidding. I guess Pontiac decided to reuse the nose off the left over Nova cloned Ventura turned RWD Phoenix.
Speaking of the Nova body Phoenix's I've just seen one driving by and it was the first Pontiac Phoenix (Nova body) I've seen in in the area in over 10 years.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Yeah, those Chevettes were well known for oil leaks as well and buzzy underpowered engines. Still, I see alot of those cars on the roads here. They must have made a million of them. I even still occasionally see the Pontiac version... the T1000. They were made as late as 1987 though, so I guess its not too unusual to see them, but I hear alot of northerners mention they never see them... I guess the rust got then in the northlands. Gosh, Chevette and T1000 must have used that same steering wheel for at least 10 years!

Here is a 1987 Pontiac T1000
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=71066 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)

Exactly right about the Phoenix... the front ends between the RWD 79 and the FWD 80 model were uncanny.

Here is the 1979 (like the Nova)
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70533 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70536 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)

and the 1980 (I think that the 82-84s looked even more like the front of the 78-79 than the 1980 does....
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70850 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)

Quote:

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
****vettes were also known for being death traps. Don't remember when I last saw a ****vette. I remember they were common in the 80's. Which reminds me when I lived in Indianapolis the Beech Grove Car Quest (was called Traingle Auto Parts) used to use them to deliver parts, except they'd remove the passenger side bucket seat. I used to wonder why they just didn't get a small truck. Now last I checked they drive S-10's and Rangers and I think even Colorados.

Something else I noticed....the 1978-79 Phoenix looks a lot like a 1978-79 Le Mans.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I seem to remember the prototype for the citation being praised for it's handling and then the magazines asking GM what happened to the handling they enjoyed on the prototype but was not on the production model. Believe the answer was bean counters cutting corners to cut price. Isn't that about the standard answer as to why fantastic GM prototypes are put into production with faults and defects?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Yeah, they earned very poor crash test scores.

Wanna see alot of Chevettes? Move here.

Your right, the Phoenix looks alot like the LeMans.... the LeMans was nicer looking overall I think though. I was looking at a '79 Grand LeMans ad.... quite the luxury car in its day.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70686 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70510 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=70513 &g2_serialNumber=2 (broken link)
Quote:
****vettes were also known for being death traps. Don't remember when I last saw a ****vette. I remember they were common in the 80's. Which reminds me when I lived in Indianapolis the Beech Grove Car Quest (was called Traingle Auto Parts) used to use them to deliver parts, except they'd remove the passenger side bucket seat. I used to wonder why they just didn't get a small truck. Now last I checked they drive S-10's and Rangers and I think even Colorados.

Something else I noticed....the 1978-79 Phoenix looks a lot like a 1978-79 Le Mans.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
My parents had one in the 80s. God that thing was awful.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, they earned very poor crash test scores.

Wanna see alot of Chevettes? Move here.

Your right, the Phoenix looks alot like the LeMans.... the LeMans was nicer looking overall I think though. I was looking at a '79 Grand LeMans ad.... quite the luxury car in its day.

I see more Chevette's than Citation's in my area (I live in SE Washington State)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC