Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
They're gearing everything now to be nearly asleep at about 65. I don't know how a 4,000 pound barn door with a V6 gets 29 mpg hwy either. Folks will buy it (the V6 base model(s)) for the "looks" I suppose, or theyll buy the 1/2SS and won't worry about fuel economy (or tires), I'm sure it's a real burnout champ....
Part of how it gets 29mpg is direct injection which allows it to run very lean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Hate the rear! The Challenger is the better looking of the two IMHO.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Nice ride Linson, I love the new Camaro, and may have to get one, some how. I have a 3rd gen Camaro, 1989 IROC and love it.
Awesome! i have a 1989 Formula 350. black.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i like the 4th gen F-bodies; i own one in fact - but i think that the new car is better looking stock for stock. from the side view, the LT1 Camaros sorta resemble a door wedge.

when you reference '93-'95 models, understand that there is no visual difference between a '95 and a 96, and very little visual difference to a '97. just sayin'.

I thought that 1996 was when they changed to those stupid Toyota type headlights/front end. Whenever it was, I know that sales dropped like mad and then they said that no one wants Camaros anymore. I was always certain that the problem was that no one wants a camaro that looks like a bad copy of a Toyota. But Hey, I am just a consumer, they are the experts.

I have only seen a glimpse of the new camaro as well as lots of pictures, Maybe it looks better than I think. I thought that it looked kind of bland as if they are trying to make it look like everything else that is out there.

For some reason they do not have one on display in their showroom in the basement of their headquarters. They have a lot of boring cars on display (including several Saabs). Maybe they have a Camaro at the front of the building. I will go look on my way out tonight.

Like when I bought my current car (Z28 vs. RS), I cannot understand why anyone would not buy the SS version. The difference in price is significant, but if you are buying that kind of car, save up and go for it. Why hold back?

On the other hand, the stock camaro at 300 hp may be more than enough. My 285 h.p. Z28 has more than I have ever really needed (except for the pesky Vette that I keep coming across - grrr, I should be able to take him since he has an automatic, but no chance). Remarkably the price for the RS version is about the same as my Z28 cost 15 years ago. If I can still get Dad's employee discount (he is retired now), it would cost me about $20,000 to $22,000. A phenomenal deal for this car.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM

quote Coldjensens

Quote:
I thought that 1996 was when they changed to those stupid Toyota type headlights/front end.
it was 1998 and the headlights and front end look like a Chrysler Concord. an SS hood on the same car makes a world of difference though.

Quote:
I have only seen a glimpse of the new camaro as well as lots of pictures, Maybe it looks better than I think. I thought that it looked kind of bland as if they are trying to make it look like everything else that is out there.
they strayed from the concept in a bad way. the car now looks like it will tend to blend in with everything else - with it's competition anyway. the concept looked chiseled from titanium. the production model looks molded from plastic.

Quote:
Like when I bought my current car (Z28 vs. RS), I cannot understand why anyone would not buy the SS version. The difference in price is significant, but if you are buying that kind of car, save up and go for it. Why hold back?
are you talking Z28 vs RS or Z28 vs. SS. if youre talking SS, the answer to your question is that the performance difference between a Z28 and an SS doesnt justify the cost difference.

Quote:
On the other hand, the stock camaro at 300 hp may be more than enough. My 285 h.p. Z28 has more than I have ever really needed
actually, your 1995 Z28 makes 275 factory flywheel horsepower. the '96s and 97s make 285. dont get me wrong. the '95 is a prime year for LT1 equiped Camaros because relative to a '96 or '97 they are somewhat less problematic when it comes to doing modifications.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM

^ 1998 Z28

http://www.lemonfree.com/reviews/images/98concorde.jpg (broken link)

^ 1998 Chrysler Concord

^ 1998 Camaro SS

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
pricing will make or break the Camaro. One of the Mustang's selling points has been affordable entry level models with the price rising along with performance. Will the base engine continue to be the direct injection 3.6 L dual ohc engine? If so then expect the price to be high for the base model. If it's the non direct injection version of the engine then the price will come down some. Last I heard there will only be two engines, the 3.6 and the massive V8. A nice step up would have been to bring back the 305 or 350 V8. The 305 could have been the RS, the 350 the SS, and the huge V8 as the Z24.
There are four engines, two V-6's and two V-8's from what I was reading on the Chevy site.

The 4.6 is Chevy's closest to the 350 at 346ci. and the SS has always been Chevy's brand for the high performance version. The original Z-28 had to have the 305 to be under the max displacement of 5 litres to qualify for the Trans-am races back in the 60's and through the 70's.

the 305 was a dog of an engine.

Here is my baby!!

http://www.geocities.com/camarosc77/Right_Front2.jpg

Last edited by Noahma; 03-24-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
There are four engines, two V-6's and two V-8's from what I was reading on the Chevy site.

The 4.6 is Chevy's closet to the 350 at 346ci. and the SS has always been Chevy's brand for the high performance version the original Z-28 had to have the 305 to qualify for the IROC races back in the 60's and through the 70's.

the 305 was a dog of an engine.

Here is my baby!!

http://www.geocities.com/camarosc77/Right_Front2.jpg
with the exception of the pic, everything in this post is pure jibberish.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
with the exception of the pic, everything in this post is pure jibberish.
If you are going to refute me, please do so. (please see my updated post.) If not, your post is useless.

Update: looks as if they widdled it down two the two engines, 6 mo. ago when looking through the site, they had an option of 4 engines, two V-6's, and two V-8's.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
I had considered maybe buying a 2010-11 Camaro LS (base), but I hate the standard black wheels (heritage wheels Chevy calls them) they have and the optional wheels are not appealing to me either. I would have liked gray hubcaps better.

Would have been nice if the LT wheels were optional on the LS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC