Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 04:02 PM

17,643 posts, read 15,340,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabetty78 View Post
What you said about quality of parts...I did go with bargain brands. Obviously better quality parts perform better and last longer, etc. But if cheaper parts are the issue, wouldn't the car just not start at all? Could they "work" but be causing these malfunctions and random codes and erratic behavior? I'm gonna go back and check the timing. Maybe something moved as I closed it up and could be causing the problem. If that's still in sync, I'll look into swapping out solenoids and sensors for oem parts. Thanks for brainstorming with me. Greatly appreciate your input. Regarding the relearn, do you know what type of scanner I need? I'm under water financially so the least expensive that can perform relearn procedures. Maybe I can find a used one on offer up if I know what to look for.

Well, I want to caution you here because you've run with something I said that.. Kinda flies in the face of what I said.

You go out and get OEM parts.. Now you're introducing MORE variables in a way. Because, hell, even OEM parts that are new don't mean they're GOOD.

I'd.. Assuming you still have the old parts around.. Work with those. Because, if they weren't throwing codes, they were probably good.

Plus, as I said.. I worry more about crap parts on the O2 sensor side of things. Those are where i've really had problems.. And.. I don't recall you messing with those.. And even if you did.. I wouldn't expect them to show this problem.

What I'm really trying to say here is.. Step back. Look at the big picture. Then try to focus. You're looking for all "Yes" answers to the questions.

Think about it like this.. You suddenly have no headlights, no crank, but your marker lights work.

Ok.. Step back and look at it overall.. Is your first step going to be replacing the headlights? No. What are the odds both went bad at the same time? So.. What might be a common factor here? Well, the odds are that the marker lights and the headlights use the same ground.. So.. That would eliminate that. What else might be common? And, I probably gave a bad example here, but if a situation like this came up, i'd probably say the common factor would be the ECU and I'd probably start by looking at powers and grounds on it. Because an ECU usually has multiple power and multiple grounds.. And.. You lose ONE of them, you might see weird crap like this.

When you load up the old parts cannon.. You find yourself in the situation you're in now.

The crank/cam sensors.. Your problem there.. You likely don't have all you'd need to test and really look at those. You really kinda need a scope to look at those signals.

Advice for next time, not that it does any good now, of course.. One thing at a time. It's apt to take you longer, but.. In the long run, it can save time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC