Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 03:49 AM

12,529 posts, read 9,615,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Yes, that was done. We were certain that this was a valve train issue, but we were not sure where exactly in the valve train the failure occurred. Now we know it was the valve guides that wore prematurely, but we do not know the precise cause of this issue. We suspect it was something in the rocker/pushrod area. Maybe the pushrods were too long causing them to bow and wear on the valve guides.
The erosion in that one cam lobe that you point to in the video is amazing. It's not at all uniform across all the cam lobes, some are fine - very uneven wear, so I don't think it's solely an engine-wide frictional issue from some problem with the oil, but at face value it looks like for some reason, the forces between the severely eroded cam lobe and the accompanying valve lifter were excessive... is it possible they used one or more wrong parts (e.g. a pushrod or lifter that is too long)? Then once you have the cam and lifter metal getting chewed up at a high rate, there will be metal particles in the oil, which could explain the main bearing wear that you also pointed out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 05:28 AM

6,482 posts, read 3,173,140 times
OP, that one cam lobe looked HORRIBLE! How did the roller look on the lifter from that lobe? Maybe some defective parts there, that weren't hardened properly.

How does the car run now? On a side note, I've always been partial to black cars, and yours looks very nice. OBVIOUSLY, that isn't a factory paint job, as it looks far too good!

Old 02-23-2023, 06:37 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,866,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I didn't think it was a port issue in this case, just that I'd seen significant differences in heads from the same manufacturer. When one dimension seems off I just gotta wonder what else may be off?
I understand your point now burdell. It is a good question. Again, I would expect the builder to contact me if he saw any issues with the heads. He did not, so I am assuming that he was good with them.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:52 AM

1,390 posts, read 1,866,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
OP, that one cam lobe looked HORRIBLE! How did the roller look on the lifter from that lobe? Maybe some defective parts there, that weren't hardened properly.

How does the car run now? On a side note, I've always been partial to black cars, and yours looks very nice. OBVIOUSLY, that isn't a factory paint job, as it looks far too good!
All the old parts were just in boxes, so there is no way to know for sure which rocker went with which lifter. I did not look at everything closely yet, but I am betting it will be obvious when I do.

What you saw in the video (initial start up/break in) is all that it has run so far. I will let you know when I get the car back and complete the first 500 miles. I am glad you like the paint, but to be honest, it looks way better in the video than in real life. In real life, there are some chips, a few small cracks, one spot about the size of a dime where the paint is worn through on the driver front fender, and a rectangular outline in the middle of the hood where someone cut a hole for a blower, then did a poor job of glassing it back in. It is the perfect paint job for a driver because I am not worried about messing up a perfect paint job. The car was originally Inca Silver, and one day, if I have more money than sense, I will go back to that. Did you notice the ghost flames on the hood and front fenders? They are very low key, but nothing I would have done. The car was black with the flames when I bought it about 6 years ago. If you are interested, I have a play list of the restoration of the car on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TWi7PiCUJSNne4

I appreciate your interest, thanks!

Old 02-24-2023, 03:13 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Bart, i'm so sorry you had to pay all that extra expense to get your 69 Vette running right. Imho, the builder should be paying for it.
She is a real Beauty.

Back after i served two tours in Vietnam, i came back home to Monterey, CA. I have always loved the older Corvette Stingrays. I looked around our area for a short time. I fell in love with one. I bought my 1966 Silver Green 427 Corvette Stingray-4 speed. I loved that car. I had very much enjoyment driving her to Tahoe often, & all over the western states.

My buddy had a 1964 Corvette 327-4 speed. He ended up getting a lace paint job at a shop in Pacific Grove. He entered her in some car shows at Monterey Fairgrounds.

A short time after i got home my brother got home from Vietnam. He bought a Red & Black 1967 Camaro SS 350- 4 speed... He loved her. He attended Chico State.

Enjoy your 69 Corvette.
Have a Beautiful Day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC