Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:06 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times

Advertisements

When they say diesels have trouble in "cold" weather, it's not 40 or 50, it's 5, 0, -5, -20, etc.

Also, no way, stop, don't think any more about this. If you really want a truck with a diesel, then buy a truck with a diesel. Swapping engines if you're a non-mechanic is madness, especially if the gas engine still works fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Actually you are a little off on the price. I looked into paying someone to do the Cummins swap on my Excursion , instead of myself doing it. Dropping the truck off their and having them do everything, including supplying the motor , using my transmission was around $12k-15k. Prices varied on which version of the Cummins you went with and how much power you wanted. Sure you will never recoup the cost but if you have the money to spend sometimes having something useful and unique is worth it.
I ended up not doing it at all since I don't tow that much anymore and the V10 isn't horrible.

Found these links :
90's Suburban Duramax Conversion - TheDieselPage.com Forums

Duramax Suburbans Suburban Home Page

The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics) - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

In the Hot Rod power tour this year there was a 1969 (?) Suburban with a Dmax in it. It was really cool.

The cummins swap is more common therefore probably a lot cheaper. And that price is in your area. He may have to ship the truck to a guy who does the swap. It's simply not a financially beneficial swap. I see plenty of "projects" sitting unfinished on Craigslist with the " I have 35k invested on this so don't try to low all me" and in the pics it looks like a pile of parts. If OP has a plan and a complete donor vehicle he may do it for 15-20k. And it's still a old vehicle worth x dollars. If you got the money to dump in it and it's some sort of sentimental value ok otherwise it would be cheaper to buy one that has a diesel.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM

29,440 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The cummins swap is more common therefore probably a lot cheaper. And that price is in your area. He may have to ship the truck to a guy who does the swap. It's simply not a financially beneficial swap. I see plenty of "projects" sitting unfinished on Craigslist with the " I have 35k invested on this so don't try to low all me" and in the pics it looks like a pile of parts. If OP has a plan and a complete donor vehicle he may do it for 15-20k. And it's still a old vehicle worth x dollars. If you got the money to dump in it and it's some sort of sentimental value ok otherwise it would be cheaper to buy one that has a diesel.
Without a doubt. And the 12 Valve Cummins has the least amount of electronics if any to deal with. And for someone to do this it's more for the uniqueness than anything.. you will NEVER recoup you money or time spent.
For me I decided not to do it just because I rarely use the truck and I can deal with the V10 lack of MPG and lack luster power. If I fell into $10k or so and just had to spend it on the truck I'd do this , until then no. And they don't make Cummins Excursions so the option to buy one isn't their, you couldn't give me a 6.0 and the ones with 7.3's you would think were gold plated for the prices they want.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 PM

29,440 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Found this thread on Yellowbullet. Many of done this.

Post up pics of Cummins swapped Chevy and Fords - Yellow Bullet Forums

Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
OP, something to think about is if you want better economy from your truck, and you intend to keep it a long time, you might just swap out to "taller" ring and pinion sets front and rear axle. This is assuming your engine is in good condition. You will need to change the speedo gear in the transmission or add a ratio box to the cable to get the speedo reading right again, but that's all.

Keep in mind the transmission already has an overdrive so don't get carried away in putting in way taller gears. But if you have 4.11s, and went to 3.73s, you would get somewhat better MPG.

Payoff time for 2 ring and pinion swaps will be a long time, but the ring and pinions last long enough to make me think you would eventually get there.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Excursions so the option to buy one isn't their, you couldn't give me a 6.0 and the ones with 7.3's you would think were gold plated for the prices they want.

You're not kidding. I sold my wife's Excursion to a guy. I wasn't even selling it but the guy approached my wife at the gas station and offered to purchase it. She took the guys card and I called him a few weeks later. My wife wanted something different smaller non diesel. I bought it off my boss for 4k with a broken front axle. $700 later we had a running truck. I never drove it so it sat a lot at the shop yard. The guy offered me 15k cash. Wife didn't like the Excursion anyway. I thought it was a stupid high offer but I wasn't gonna turn him down.
My ford is a 99 diesel 7.3 and I have people constantly offer to buy it when they find out its not the 6.0. And I mean some stupid offers are thrown at me. I just don't need a new truck right now.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, something to think about is if you want better economy from your truck, and you intend to keep it a long time, you might just swap out to "taller" ring and pinion sets front and rear axle. This is assuming your engine is in good condition. ...
another option for same result is a 'Gear Vendor Overdrive (GV)'. Many 4x4's just add GV to RWD portion and run 4x4 only in "direct".

This option keeps your low range ratios for CRAWLING, which is tough in an Automatic 4x4, but very important DOWNHILL crawling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC