Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 23,672 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a 2004 GMC Z71 crew cab. All is working well. I am approaching 115000 miles on it. Not sure what if any mAint has been done to it other than the obvious engine oil/filter changes. What recommendations do u hv? Also i did change to a drop in K and N air filter. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
In the back of the owners manual gives you a maintenance schedule, have you tried looking there?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Wtf does this have to do with Houston?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Swallow a chill pill GLORPLAXY. Never posted on here before. Prob in wrong area on site so KMFA. ME007GOLD, thanks for the reply. My truck didnt come with the manual lol sorry.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Repost on the city data automotive forum, lots of activity on there.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM

Will do. ThNks

Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingreelz View Post
I recently purchased a 2004 GMC Z71 crew cab. All is working well. I am approaching 115000 miles on it. Not sure what if any mAint has been done to it other than the obvious engine oil/filter changes. What recommendations do u hv? Also i did change to a drop in K and N air filter. Thanks
If it was my truck, this is what I'd do.

1.Change all fluids & filters - engine, transmission, transfer case, and differentials. New filters. Personally, I like synthetic oil, but lots of others will disagree with that. GOOD oil is the key.
2. Pull the K&N Filter, and throw it in the fire where it belongs. Put a good OEM recommended filter in.
3. Do a thorough visual inspection from both atop and below the truck. Some things might be obvious (like a CV boot that's split). Check for leaks. Check your serpentine belt.

100,000 - 120,000 is a range where a lot of replacement maintenance has to be done. Don't worry about them, but replace them as necessary.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingreelz View Post
Swallow a chill pill GLORPLAXY. Never posted on here before. Prob in wrong area on site so KMFA. ME007GOLD, thanks for the reply. My truck didnt come with the manual lol sorry.

Owner's Manuals

You can get your manual there in a pdf

Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Generally, a well-used "new to you" vehicle, IMHO it's good practice to assume any fluids that are not obviously new and fresh are due to be changed, along with filters. Look at the fuel filter too.

I like to write the mileage on the filter itself, using a Sharpie or similar, in most applications you can do this. But since you didn't buy this truck from me, unlikely this was done. Some people do keep a log of sorts with fluid changes, most garages put a sticker in the door jamb if they do lube service. I have seen people scribe the oil change log on the inside fender well - that last practice won't win you any points at a car show, but for a beater I guess it's acceptable, but I still don't like it.

If this truck has non-sealed front wheel bearings, look into repacking them. Spring for a new inner seal, clean up the old grease, don't wash in solvent, pack well with good wheel-bearing grease, and Bob's your uncle for several tens of thousands of miles.

A neglected fluid that does need changing is brake fluid, it really ought to be changed about every 2 years or so.

Many boneyards have used owner's manuals, usually reasonable. Or try Faxon Auto Literature.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
1. Keep K&N air filter. It's great filter and improves mpg by about a mile or so. But never go for CAI with same filter, waste of $$ and drops mpg by 10%
2. Your serpentine belt is due for around 10 000 miles by now.
3. Spark plugs and definitely wires
4. If it's 4x4, you are due: transfer case fluid, differential front and differential rear fluids. Use synthetics, and forget about them from that on.
5. Your sway bar bushings are due. Do NOT replace them with polyurethane ones, use rubber ones. You do not have to remove anything to replace them, I have done mine on the garage floor, easy access with wheels turned out.
6. Cabin air filter is long due. Replace with carbon one.
7. ATF pending on its condition. Use synthetic again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC