Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM

756 posts, read 2,093,231 times

Advertisements

My grandmother recently left in her will for me to have her old 1987 Buick LeSabre. It drives really well, it was a smooth ride all the way back to Georgia from Tennessee last Sunday.

Uncle says there is no air conditioning and that may cost about $800 to replace, and you know in Georgia you can't live without ac.

In case I have some problems, do maintenance guys and mechanics these days do a lot of work on 80s vehicles? This one is 25 years old. I live in the central Georgia area and wonder if I will need to find a good mechanic one day that deals with older models.

Also is 1987 considered a "classic" car? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,259,229 times
You need to find the right shop, a good, probably older independent mechanic who knows these cars. Outside of rebuilding the A/C, this car *should* not cost you a lot to maintain.

I doubt you will find anyone who considers this a "classic" car - I don't remember what the rules are in Georgia, here in Washington you can put a "collector car" plate on anything 30 years old or older, avoid having to renew the tag yearly - but what you can do in GA I don't recall (despite being born there).

Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,824,363 times
I don't know if maintenance guys and mechanics work much on 80's vehicles, but yes it can run $800 or more to fix the a/c. It really depends on what is wrong. It's likely the seals have allowed the refrigerant to escape. It's not a hard job to do but you do need the right tools and know how to do it.

I replaced the a/c compressor, drier,orfice tube on my 87 Buick Regal T type last summer. I had the manifold gauge kit and the vacuum pump to do the work. I spent a little north of $300 on just parts.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,592,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I don't know if maintenance guys and mechanics work much on 80's vehicles, but yes it can run $800 or more to fix the a/c. It really depends on what is wrong. It's likely the seals have allowed the refrigerant to escape. It's not a hard job to do but you do need the right tools and know how to do it.

I replaced the a/c compressor, drier,orfice tube on my 87 Buick Regal T type last summer. I had the manifold gauge kit and the vacuum pump to do the work. I spent a little north of $300 on just parts.
Sounds about right ! Then add $150 for the shop to recharge the unit and your ready for the hot weather. $450.00 sounds a little more like it . most of the time its just the compress that goes out , replace that , flush the lines , change the O rings ann it just like new . I just did the same on my1996 ford . blows cold enough now to freeze ice !

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,872 times
before you waste your money, go down to autozone or any parts store, and ask for a set of 134a adapter fittings, they come in a little bag. put the low side on, its the smaller of the 2, and just get a can of 134a from Walmart, its like 9 bucks, then get the little hose that screws onto the can, its sold right there( i say Walmart cause the parts store will charge you double what Walmart does) and screw the can onto the hose, follow the instructions, there should be a gauge on it, hook up the your low side fitting that you installed, and fill it up while car and a/c is on, you want the pressure to be around 20-35 psi. if it doesn't work, you'll be out like 30 bucks. ive been a mechanic for 20 years, and the crap about not mixing r12 and 134a is a bunch of bull. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC