Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Ok, traditionally the Buick Regal was a RWD two door car that came in slow smooth base or an available performance version in either turbo or supercharged 3.8L V6. Personally I think they attached the Regal name to the wrong car. Of the three sedans Buick sells, I think the Lacrosse should have been the Regal. The Regal was never a cornering sedan. However, with the current Regal, I thing they made another mistake. They should have skipped the 2.4L and go straight to the 2.0L turbo as a base engine and the Opel 2.8L turbo 6 for the GS. This engine is about 300hp and nearly as much torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Yep and the only Regals ever worth a damn were the intercooled turbocharged ones that were notorious for giving owners of Corvettes, Mustangs and Camaros the fits. A close 2nd would be the 455 powered models.

Just my opinion of course.

Turbo 6 power, baby.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Ok, traditionally the Buick Regal was a RWD two door car that came in slow smooth base or an available performance version in either turbo or supercharged 3.8L V6

Really? Maybe till the mid-late 1980's, but by 1988 the regal was a front wheel drive sedan and your only hope of performance was a 240 hp GS model that would torque steer like a monster.

I do understand that the buick T-Type and most importantly the Gran National and GNX were the most performance oriented regals out there, but even though they were known as straight line machines they could be made to turn corners pretty handsomely.

The new regal and it's GS addition are fine automobiles. They're quick for their segment and price, and the GS model will offer decent performance. Unfortunately the engine is still de-tuned compared to it's European counterpart. You can opt for the turbo four cylinder in the standard regal as well, and if tuning tells me anything, unlocking the 70 hp the factory equips on their GS models will only be a chip tune away...more horsepower should be readily available also. I'd think a RWD version would be significantly better for performance than the FWD version as offered, however, I wouldn't dismiss the front driver as garbage. It'll be a car with an American nameplate, but it is essentially a European driver...heck, the thing is made in Germany.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
The new Regal is probably a well made vehicle... but buy one only if you intend to keep it for a number of years if you don't want to suffer the consequences of poor resale value.

Not sure where the OP got the info, but the Regal has been a FWD car for decades.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I guess they figured stodgy Buick buyers wouldn't pay 40 large for a Malibu with lipstick.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
My friend is selling my old T-Type...It's just a 6cyl

Old 12-10-2011, 03:28 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Yep and the only Regals ever worth a damn were the intercooled turbocharged ones that were notorious for giving owners of Corvettes, Mustangs and Camaros the fits. A close 2nd would be the 455 powered models.

Just my opinion of course.

Turbo 6 power, baby.
atco, baby!! (thats where that wheelstanding TR is)

Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Regals of 30 years ago may not have been cornering sedans, but these days buyers of premium sedans typically do not want sedans that are fast in a straight line, but cannot corner. The auto world has changed, and performance sedans can go quickly and steer.

The new Regals are very nice sedans. They handle well, have decent performance. Definately good competitors to cars like the Acura TSX or Volvo S60.

I am not sure it is the best car in the segment, or the one I would buy if shopping in that segment, but I think it is a good offering from GM.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
They look like really nice cars but dont seem to sell very well, at least not in my area.
I think Buick still has an old guy image unfortunately as well as being a GM product.(no resale)

Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Regals of 30 years ago may not have been cornering sedans, but these days buyers of premium sedans typically do not want sedans that are fast in a straight line, but cannot corner. The auto world has changed, and performance sedans can go quickly and steer.

The new Regals are very nice sedans. They handle well, have decent performance. Definately good competitors to cars like the Acura TSX or Volvo S60.

I am not sure it is the best car in the segment, or the one I would buy if shopping in that segment, but I think it is a good offering from GM.
I had a friend with a 98? Supercharged Buick Regal and it was nice. This was before I had my T-Type Regal but it did really good against my SVO in a straight line...cornering would be a different story though but the SVO was built for road racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC