Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Currently only available in China and based on the same chassis as the new Caprice (which supposed to come to USA only as a police car).

here is the link from the China Buick website... cant read Chinese, but I can look at the pics. I heard that there was talk about it and a Cadillac version coming, but that was awhile back. This looks like a much larger car than the biggest Buick now, which I think is the Lucerne? As much as Americans (especially the older crowd) love big luxury American cars, I am surprised that Buick does not offer this car here.

ParkAvenue2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Rumors abound about the basic architecture making its way here as a Chevy, Buick, and/or Cadillac. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Rumors abound about the basic architecture making its way here as a Chevy, Buick, and/or Cadillac. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah me too... I have heard it for awhile.

I had not seen a pic of what the Cadillac version would look like until I found this... Nice looking car imo. Apparently its available in China too? The link this came from said it could arrive as a 2013-14 model in the USA.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah me too... I have heard it for awhile.

I had not seen a pic of what the Cadillac version would look like until I found this... Nice looking car imo. Apparently its available in China too? The link this came from said it could arrive as a 2013-14 model in the USA.
That is a Cadillac SLS which is an extended version of the current STS which is already on sale here and due to be axed this year.

The next big Buick in the US could be based on the same chassis that will go under the Cadillac XTS and Chevy Impala. But only the Cadillac version is for certain and heavily camo'd models have already been spotted.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 PM

Yeah, SLS, thats what it is. Its on the license tag too..

I think it would be a nice addition... would make a nice replacement for the aging current DTS... I think that style dates back to the year 2000.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I think it would be a nice addition... would make a nice replacement for the aging current DTS... I think that style dates back to the year 2000.
Like I said, its already here, its looks just like the current STS, just a little longer, it would NOT make a good replacement because it is already being phased out. Current SLS/STS styling dates back to 2005. Current DTS styling dates back to 2006. So you are actually suggesting replacing a newer design with an older one. Both of them need to go and they are.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:21 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times
Quote:
This looks like a much larger car than the biggest Buick now, which I think is the Lucerne? As much as Americans (especially the older crowd) love big luxury American cars, I am surprised that Buick does not offer this car here.
Looks all the world to me like your typical, full-sized GM offering with the exception of a different "front clip." Buick is very popular in China. The "Park Avenue" moniker should have never been dropped. I have read Buick is considering dropping the "Lucerne" nameplate (research indicates Lucerne is a French word for a town in Switzerland, but it's also a brand of dairy products in the U.S.) BTW, we own a 08 Lucerne, and a 95 Park Avenue. "Park Avenue" just sounds classier than "Lucerne." The Chinese never had it so good...

Last edited by IMOGAJAD; 04-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
Looks all the world to me like your typical, full-sized GM offering with the exception of a different "front clip."
I guess the current STS is invisible to most people. It doesn't have a different "front clip." This is a 2011 Cadillac STS on sale at any Cadillac dealer in the US:

http://cadillac2011-reviews.info/images/2011-cadillac-sts-1.jpg (broken link)

There are no significant differences in appearance from the above vehicle to a Chinese market SLS. The USDM car was refreshed in 2008 to match the look of the new CTS, however the overall body appeared in MY2005:

Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Looks all the world to me like your typical, full-sized GM offering with the exception of a different "front clip." Buick is very popular in China.
Yep, from what I recall, before Mao, Chinese officials and aristocracy favored Buicks, so it has much more panache there than in the US, where it's what you get after you retire.

When I worked for GM in 01-02, I was at a meeting where they described Buicks as being targeted at affluent 30-somethings, which signalled to me that they were so out of touch with reality, it wasn't even funny. Just because you put Tiger Woods in a commercial driving a Rendezvous doesn't mean you're now targetting a new demographic.

I really didn't understand why they kept Buick but not Pontiac.

Quote:
The "Park Avenue" moniker should have never been dropped. I have read Buick is considering dropping the "Lucerne" nameplate (research indicates Lucerne is a French word for a town in Switzerland, but it's also a brand of dairy products in the U.S.) BTW, we own a 08 Lucerne, and a 95 Park Avenue. "Park Avenue" just sounds classier than "Lucerne." The Chinese never had it so good...
Exactly what I thought when I first saw one sitting in front of me in traffic. I have an 8oz pack of Lucerne sharp cheddar in my fridge as we speak. Who the hell decided that people would associate Lucerne with a Swiss town when you can buy a tub of cottage cheese by Lucerne at Safeway for $1.99?

When GM does it right, they do it right. When they get it wrong... man, do they ever get it wrong. It's like your dad coming home in a new outfit inspired by Kanye West.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Looks all the world to me like your typical, full-sized GM offering with the exception of a different "front clip." Buick is very popular in China. The "Park Avenue" moniker should have never been dropped. I have read Buick is considering dropping the "Lucerne" nameplate (research indicates Lucerne is a French word for a town in Switzerland, but it's also a brand of dairy products in the U.S.) BTW, we own a 08 Lucerne, and a 95 Park Avenue. "Park Avenue" just sounds classier than "Lucerne." The Chinese never had it so good...
I love the 1995 Park Avenues... I had a 1992 Park Avenue and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I guess the current STS is invisible to most people. It doesn't have a different "front clip." This is a 2011 Cadillac STS on sale at any Cadillac dealer in the US:
Yeah, it does look much like the current STS save for the more rounded grill and it appears to have a longer wheelbase... I think that is the key, the longer wheelbase makes the car more attractive and more Caddy-like IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC