Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a 96 Corvette this weekend being offered by a client of hubby's. They disclosed that there is some transmission fluid leak that they never got fixed for the past 8 years and remediated it by simply putting in more fluid every 3 months. They said to fix it would involve taking down the engine at a cost of $3500 which they could not recover from the sale. Their mechanic is taking a look at it to see if there is a simpler less expensive fix. A friend of mine had said he'll let me know what part to buy and where to put it ( really, a 50+ year old woman underneath a Vette!). He made it sound like a really easy and inexpensive fix. Just thought I'd put it out here so you folks can give me a better idea on how involved (or simple) this fix is and at what cost. We are not committed to buying it. They will leave it with us to test and drive as long as we need to, so tomorrow is the first time I'm setting my eyes and getting my hands on this car.

Thougts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
If its a seal it will be expensive because of the labor involved.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Depends entirely on which seal. If it is the input shaft seal, the transmission has to be removed. A shift shaft or modulator o-ring can be done in the vehicle.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
If you can't afford the repairs and don't know how to fix yourself....run away.

....ok....I still see you're standing there being wishful about owning the Corvette.

Take it to your own mechanic for an independent evaluation. There could be other stuff wrong with it in addition to the tranny leak.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
If you can't afford the repairs and don't know how to fix yourself....run away.

....ok....I still see you're standing there being wishful about owning the Corvette.

Take it to your own mechanic for an independent evaluation. There could be other stuff wrong with it in addition to the tranny leak.
Actually, I'm trying to dissuade hubby from buying ME the Vette as I think it's an impractical everyday vehicle to go to work in. We are taking it to our mechanic to have a look-see. A coworker actually printed a diagram of the car's transmission and told me several places where the leak could spring...anywhere from just the pan, either end or the main housing itself, of course with various costs to fix it. He also said to power steam the tranny, run it around the block to figure out where the leak is coming from. After the big lecture from him (which pretty much made my eyes glaze over ), I really don't want the headache of even figuring out where it leaks. I guess more than anything else, I'm hesitant about letting hubby think that I'm turning away his present. I've turned away the BMW he was trying to get some months ago...I just hate the cost of maintenance of cars like these. He's by no means mechanical so I'm trying to do as much of the research as I can. What I really want is the Honda CRV...don't even know how this one came into the picture.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
hmm I would tell him what you want the CRV
as for the corvette it is a good everyday car if you live in a warm climate without a harsh winter you can get away with daily driving one the C4 had a really harsh suspension but if you can get past that they are pretty solid cars although getting in and out is hard due to the frame rails on them you sit really low then ended up addressing that issue in the 97-04 C5 corvette

Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Just tell him, "look dammit, I want a CRV or no nookie".

Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I'm assuming this is an automatic? Definitely Teach is right here, some fixes are easy, some are not.

Automatics that are not run regularly tend to leak worse - if you got the car and just drove it, *maybe* add one of the better ATF stop leak products (K&W and CRC products IMHO are good) only when it's low enough to need a pint of fluid, don't over fill it - that *could* be enough. Certainly this "mechanic in a can" will not "fix" a truly worn out or torn seal, but usually seals that are leaking just a bit like this are just hard, and sometimes this stuff is enough to at least reduce the leak. It's unlikely to give a proper, long-lasting, and complete fix like wrenching would do, but it's easy and if you use good stuff per label directions it will at worst not hurt anything.

To me the 'vette would be much more appealing than a CRV, but I am a car guy...

Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys. We're taking it to our mechanic who's putting it on the lift and take a lookie-look at it and see whether we can pinpoint where the leak is coming from and if he can evaluate the remaining life of the tranny based on what he sees. If he says it will last under these conditions another 2 years, we'll make a deal on the car. Anything less than that, we'll likely pass on it. I know it's a sexy car, but looking at all the older ladies in BMW convertibles a the strip mall tonight, I think I still have quite a few more years to go before I let the car eclipse me!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM

I've got a vette story of my own from this weekend. We had a yardsale on Saturday. Friday evening this lady that lived in the house behind ours asked me if I would consider letting her park her car in front of my house with a 'For Sale' sign on it. Naturally my question was, "What kind of car is it?" So I go look and it's a 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette. <interest sparked>

It was in "OK" shape. The car was all there and all the major stuff was functional. It had been repainted at least once by a fly-by-night painter who did a shabby job with the striping. And it had a small leak. It may have just been an oil leak and not a tranny leak.

She was asking $10k for it. At first glance it didn't sound like a horrible price....until I started doing a little bit of research. Turns out the era between 1974 and 1982 were the least desirable (and had the most puny hp). I took it for a spin and I think my wife's mini-van had more power....I'm serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC