Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM

222 posts, read 753,237 times

Advertisements

In the 90's, I used to stop there, and buy a case or two of Double Cola. They were in classic glass bottles, and gave you a few more ounces than the "big boys."

It appears that Double Cola still "lives"---though only in cans.

Chattanooga will always hold wonderful memories for me. That Double Cola building is one of them...

Any thoughts>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,658,579 times
Are you talking about this one?

11/20/2005 - What Did That Building Used to Be - Chero-Cola/Nehi/RC - Memories - Chattanoogan.com

If you happen to have $500k you could buy a condo @ that address Too bad you can't still buy your "coke" there.

There are quite a few buildings here that I love that have been torn down which makes me sad. Some are redone (like yours) which I am glad to see. Too bad you can't still buy your "coke" there.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Are you talking about this one?

11/20/2005 - What Did That Building Used to Be - Chero-Cola/Nehi/RC - Memories - Chattanoogan.com

If you happen to have $500k you could buy a condo @ that address Too bad you can't still buy your "coke" there.

There are quite a few buildings here that I love that have been torn down which makes me sad. Some are redone (like yours) which I am glad to see. Too bad you can't still buy your "coke" there.
Thanks for the reply. Though, I'm not sure that is the building.

The Double Cola plant was very close to the base of Lookout Mountain. There was a small strip mall nearby, with a Red Food Store in it. I think there was also a small radio station near it too. Facing the front of the building, the loading docks were on the left side. I believe it was just one story, but fairly large.

What do you think?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,658,579 times
Ok I gotcha! Geesh! Double cola - RC Cola - lol I think that Chattem took over the DC building??? It's on South Broad St, exactly where you said. The google view is the pits so here's another article for you...

St. Elmo "Yesterday and Today" - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site

Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
Double Cola is still a big seller in the Evansville Indiana area. So when I am up that way I always bring home 5 or 6 cases. Sure do miss those ice cold bottles though!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ok I gotcha! Geesh! Double cola - RC Cola - lol I think that Chattem took over the DC building??? It's on South Broad St, exactly where you said. The google view is the pits so here's another article for you...

St. Elmo "Yesterday and Today" - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site
WOW! Nice link~thank you very much! And yes, it appears that Chattem did take it over.

I posted on another thread here, concerning someone who was moving thinking of moving to St. Elmo's.

My last visit, showed some progress in the area. Some. It was good street here; bad street there. Like many areas near downtown Atlanta these days.

Overall, there still seems like the business district is seedy. It's kind of depressing coming off of the mountain. It's just beautiful up there. Lovely (safe) old neighborhoods. Must be nice to have $$$!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Double Cola is still a big seller in the Evansville Indiana area. So when I am up that way I always bring home 5 or 6 cases. Sure do miss those ice cold bottles though!

Evansville has Pizza King (aka as Sir Pizza in other areas) We only had one in Atlanta, and that was in the early 70's. I never knew they were a chain, till the wonder of the net.

At the time, it was the best, most unique pizza I had ever had. Still haven't found anything better. When I get up to Nashville, it will be a must.

Sure wish I had a big glass bottle of Double Cola to wash it down!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,763 times
I live in st elmo now and have lived in and around the area all my life. I can tell you that as a community it has progressed alot! The buisness area isnt "seedy" at all. There are several art galleries, an awesome vintage clothing store, a brewery with 8 amazing beers, and 4 great resteraunts (every one locally owned). We are a historic neighborhood dating back to antebellum days. It is the only neighborhhod i have lived in where i immediatly had neighbors greeeting me and offering me their lawnmowers, gas, water, and friendly southern hospitality. A great deal of the cleanup has happened as a result of heavy gentrification which i oppose in theory. Yet we retain much of our black community and now have a multicultural environment that is home to many ethnicities such as indian, african, thai, mexican, you name it. Sawasdee is amazing for thai, and mojo is serves the freshest burritos in town! Come and see us!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
Yes it was on Broad Street behind Channel 12 TV Station --- I grew up no more than 10 minutes from that building, my boyfriend in the late 70's worked there.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM

352 posts, read 883,847 times
I wonder if the RC/moonpie store on market St (?) carries RC in bottles. I know a lot of lil mom and pop places around TN do, so it's being made in bottles still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga